Hire top notch coordinators?

30Rozier

If Bo wanted to go get Chad Morris and/or Kirby Smart for $1.4M, do you think he would have the Administration's support? If he wanted to 10 more recruiting staffers, would their be a win-loss ultimatum attached? If we part with Bo, do you think we spend more than $4M? Can anyone answer yes to those three questions with straight face?

we are not competing in the sec. we are competing in the big 10. when we can win our division, i will worry about competing with bama.

We are not in the Top 4 of Head Coach pay or Top 3 of Staff pay in the Big Ten.

If Bo wanted to go get Chad Morris and/or Kirby Smart for $1.4M, do you think he would have the Administration's support? If he wanted to 10 more recruiting staffers, would their be a win-loss ultimatum attached? If we part with Bo, do you think we spend more than $4M? Can anyone answer yes to those three questions with straight face?

we are not competing in the sec. we are competing in the big 10. when we can win our division, i will worry about competing with bama.

bo and his staff make enough.

Just adding a little input here... let's say someone in upper management forces Bo to make some staff changes. Since a lot of people are making comparisons to corporations, let's assume the meeting is run like a performance review would in a large corporation.

First. Identify the problems. Those would be the blowout losses against teams that are more or less on equal footing talent wise, sloppy performances, mistakes, and missed assignments. By Bo's own words, they (the players) failed to execute. Bo believes in his system, that much is for certain, and the problems come from sloppy play on the field, and a lack of significant improvement by players over the course of their career, except in the rare case that a player seeks outside help (T-Mart, in this case, and though he never became a GOOD QB, he did improve). Last, but not least, a lack of Conference or National Championships. It could be assumed that, with our current level of talent, we should be capable of winning the B1G, if it wasn't for (in Bo's words) poor execution.

So, is it a lack of talented athletes? I would say no. We have highey talented athletes, good enough to compete in this conference. So the issue is not in recruiting, though some improvement can certainly be made in that category.

So, is it a poor scheme? In some ways yes, and in others no. Bo, no matter what many on this board think, is tremendously knowledgeable about defense, and his schemes are solid. It's true in my opinion that he needs to be much more open to mid game adjustments and open to adding to or changing his scheme, but it's not the scheme itself. Bo's scheme is similar to what a number to teams have great success with in power 5 schools (MSU, Bama, VA Tech, tOSU, and many more use a 4-3, nickel, or 4-2-5 formation with both man coverage with 2 high safeties, rotating cover 3, quarters, or cover 1 robber coverages) and Bo's schemes have worked well in the past. But they could certainly use some updating.

So it comes down to execution. What does that mean? It means the skill and knowledge being properly taught to the players to enable them to perform their duties to as close to perfection as humanly possible. This is where I feel the major problem is. The players aren't being properly taught and developed in this system. And a guarantee you one thing: there is no possible way that Bo, Pap, or Beck has enough time in practice to teach each player one on one enough to properly teach and develope them to their fullest potential. That means that the coaches who's duties include player training and developement aren't doing their jobs right. Most of the defensive position coaches are failing hard, but it's too early to truly determine how effective Charlton Warren is performing. Papuchis seems to me to be something of Bo's protégé, a guy Bo is trying to turn into a great defensive coordinator, but Bo is doing most of the actual coordination. Pap can stay or go, it won't matter either way, because Bo will still essentially be the DC.

It's pretty easy to see that the o-line, TEs, and the WRs (when trying to run routes and catch balls... basically doing anything but blocking...) are not being properly taught and developed, and doubly so for the QBs. Basically, everything but the RBs aren't being properly taught. Beck can certainly use some adjustments to his scheme, like a greater focus on running the ball, and he definitely needs to work on the short and intermediate passing game, but his overall scheme is good enough. I'd move the current WR coach to o-line/TE coach and hire in a proper QB coach who can help our guys develope to their true potential. Ron Brown is already doing a fantastic job at RB coach.

If there is going to be any significant coaching changes, it'll be to the position coaches, and should at least help is win a conference championship. Bo is toone loyal to Beck and Pap to get rid of them, and if they could get properly developed players, that has a pretty good chance of turning things around.

• Fire 1

Yes, without question, Eichorst would approve the resources for a proven coordinator. For gawd's sake, TO of all people - who is well known for being as conservative as possible - increased Beck's salary from $315,000 to over $710,000 within 2 years. As of right now, Bo won't get 10 more recruiting staffers, he has to prove what he has needs additional assistance before he gets more. This is a simple business concept. We can spend more than $4M, and pending who the next coaching candidates are keeps the question open. If it takes $4M to get who we want, you bet your bottom ass we'll spend the money.

Bo has had the opportunity for the last 11 months with assistants. He has decided to stick with his guys, so far. That's on him, not our Administration, Board or Regents, fans and/or anyone else.

• Fire 1

Yes, without question, Eichorst would approve the resources for a proven coordinator. For gawd's sake, TO of all people - who is well known for being as conservative as possible - increased Beck's salary from $315,000 to over $710,000 within 2 years. As of right now, Bo won't get 10 more recruiting staffers, he has to prove what he has needs additional assistance before he gets more. This is a simple business concept. We can spend more than $4M, and pending who the next coaching candidates are keeps the question open. If it takes $4M to get who we want, you bet your bottom ass we'll spend the money.

Bo has had the opportunity for the last 11 months with assistants. He has decided to stick with his guys, so far. That's on him, not our Administration, Board or Regents, fans and/or anyone else.

I guess I disagree. I don't think they are willing to open the checkbook as much as people think.

We were #3 in 2013, it's not Nebraska's fault Penn State went out and spent a ton on Franklin. And Dantonio received a well deserved raise. Prior to this year, he made considerably less ($1M) than Pelini.

I guess I disagree. I don't think they are willing to open the checkbook as much as people think.

Just like we don't spend enough on recruiting. :cop:

• Fire 2

I think some of the "information" that has been spread around is a pretty conscious effort by Bo's camp to shift responsibility to the administration.

I suppose it's hard to say if it's accurate or not. From this perspective, I'd say Bo has what he needs right now. And I'd give more credence to the "information" about Bo passing on others to choose his own staff in spite of an open checkbook that is not new but has been around since he was hired.

• Fire 1

and if we hired joe moglia for $1, probably.

..my choice
it would be exciting and interesting at least.
It would be exciting and interesting. If Bo happens to go, I'm not as against the idea as I originally was.
Yeah when kchusker_chris proposed it a few years back, I thought he was out if his mind. The entire concept intrigues me a lot more these days. I guess it helps Moglia has shown something as a coach now.
  • Fire 1