Would losses to Minnesota, Iowa, and the bowl game get us a new coach at 8-5?

I blame Pedersen...the guy fires a 9 win coach with significant improvement and a revamped staff. Don't think that doesn't weigh on the boosters minds. I'm sure TO is reminding them of this as well. Yeah we'll probably win 9 games again but our 9 wins have been against 1 respectable team and a bunch of nobodies.

I blame Pedersen...the guy fires a 9 win coach with significant improvement and a revamped staff. Don't think that doesn't weigh on the boosters minds. I'm sure TO is reminding them of this as well. Yeah we'll probably win 9 games again but our 9 wins have been against 1 respectable team and a bunch of nobodies.

Here's the perception about firing Solich around the country:

"Whaaaa? They fired a guy who's coming off a nine win season?!?"

Here's the perception about firing Bo around the country:

"Why haven't they fired this clown yet?"

See the difference? ;)

• Fire 2

We're going to drop 1 of these next two and I think Bo is going to hang himself in the process. If not, we're likely going to endure at least another year, if not 2 more of this. It's not until 2016 that we have a schedule that can expose him. Oregon, Wisconsin, Ohio State. Even then though, these schedules are set up for him to be here a long, long time if 9 wins is the only thing that matters. Maybe even 2017 before there are more than a couple tough games on the schedule.

If we lose Minny and Iowa, that should be enough. I'm good for him to go now but some people would get a little squeamish getting rid of a 10-2 coach. Where's that f'ing Pedersen when you need him.

We're way past the point where record matters IMO. It has been proven the program will not move forward and the gut wrenching embarrassments aren't ending. To me, a 10-2 regular season record does not solve any problem or concern. It's time to see if we can do better and win something of substance and I'm not talking about some stupid Heroes or Freedom trophy.

By saying "it's time to see if we can do better" I'm assuming you'd be will to say "we tried" if we fall to 3 - 9 or worse for the next 4 years or so. Seems like folks just believe a simple coaching change will bring us back to our glory days. In my opinion, that was lightning in a bottle and we have a way higher chance of really falling than we do improving. But, having said that, I'm OK now with making a change too. But I do realize it may make things way worse to the point we find ourselves hoping for a 10 win season, or worse, hoping for a winning season like we did when I first started following Husker football in the early to mid 60s.

I fully realize that with a coaching change there may be some steps backwards before things improve. I can accept that. The 9 wins don't mean anything to me when they are accompanied by ugly losses to any halfway decent team. Personally, with our schedule and this conference, I don't see how it gets any worse than it has been under Bo. Maybe one more loss than he's had, every once in awhile but, I'll trade that for competing with some ranked teams. Victories over the Purdues, Illinois, McNeese, etc. is nothing if we can't make a reasonable showing against a top 25 team.

At this point I don't care one way or the other. I am pretty much with you grandpa. JJ I know you say steps back words are ok with you, but it is easy to say vs. what could become reality. Lets get rid of BP, which I am ok with, get another coach and have him go 5-7 and 6-6 his first 2 years and see what the fan base really thinks. I really don't think it will be that pretty.

I don't like blow out loses either, but man they sure are happening all across the board more in college football. Its not just Pelini its the type of kid in todays society. Look at Duke from last night. They are playing to get into the ACC championship. They got killed by 25 to a NC team that is not that good. The game wasn't even 25 points close. Look at Florida over Georgia a couple of weeks ago. Florida has 2 200 yard rushers and kills them by what 30? Florida is not good they just fired their coach. Georgia may be playing in the SEC championship in a couple of weeks.

I guess my point is that its not just Pelini, though he is a big part of the blowouts. It is also the way kids are wired today. BP is not very good at motivating his players when things go bad, but IMO kids in general have less fight in them when things get tough.

Again, I don't care if BP gets fired, I am tired of hearing all the bitching. But, be careful what you wish for you just might get it.

See the difference? ;)

Agree. Solich was kind of a sympathetic figure to the outside world. I'm pretty sure Bo is not. Just a guess though. :)

See the difference? ;)

Agree. Solich was kind of a sympathetic figure to the outside world. I'm pretty sure Bo is not. Just a guess though. :)

Solich is a well respected coach because he kind of embodies a lot of Doc Tom's traits. He's one of the 'old guard' of coaches, old school fatherly type figures.

Not too many of those left around, and other coaches recognize that. Oh, don't believe me:

http://www.athensohiotoday.com/sports/ohiouniversity/youthful-wmu-coach-respects-solich/article_52ed19cb-bf9b-53d8-ace3-c9b536076948.html

“He’s one of the greatest coaches in the modern era,” Fleck said of his Ohio counterpart. “It’s really an honor to coach against him.”

For Fleck, the respect comes not only for the job Solich has done professionally but because of a personal connection. He said Solich didn’t freeze him out when Fleck was asking for advice as a first-time head coach in early 2013.

“He was one of the only guys willing to share and to help. He’ll talk to you,” Fleck said. “That meant a lot to me.”

Fleck has helped the Broncos rebound from a 1-11 season in 2013 to a 4-3 mark so far this fall. His long-term objective is to give the game as much as Solich has, to endure as long as the Ohio coach has.

“I’m trying to be Frank Solich, actually,” Fleck said.

Most coaches are now CEO types because of the $$$ involved in the programs.

Bo?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24642182/bo-pelini-upset-with-clueless-parent-after-stringfellow-decision

At Big Ten media days Tuesday, Bo Pelini was asked what had happened with Stringfellow's late change of heart.

"Read between the lines," Pelini said, according to Huskers Illustrated writer Michael Bruntz. "I think we all know what happened in that situation."

Pelini was then asked a follow-up question on "whether it's parents making their kids' decisions for them" (in Bruntz's words) and if Pelini found that frustrating.

"Especially when it's a clueless parent," he said.

So, is he toast if he goes 8-5? I'd have to say, yes.

There's a lot more to Solich's firing.

old school fatherly type figures

You may be on to something here but for an entirely different reason.

I like the guy but his personal life did him no favors when it came down to keeping him or letting him go.

Agreed, and good point, but we're talking perception, here, right?

I mean, people talk about "oh, Frank shouldn't have been fired, yada, yada," but they forget about this:

Solich apologizes for DUI, will remain Ohio coach

So (to your point) when people use Frank Solich as a reason why Bo should or should not be here as the head coach, it's a weak argument for me, either way.

There's a lot more to Solich's firing.

old school fatherly type figures

You may be on to something here but for an entirely different reason.

I like the guy but his personal life did him no favors when it came down to keeping him or letting him go.

Agreed, and good point, but we're talking perception, here, right?

I mean, people talk about "oh, Frank shouldn't have been fired, yada, yada," but they forget about this:

Solich apologizes for DUI, will remain Ohio coach

So (to your point) when people use Frank Solich as a reason why Bo should or should not be here as the head coach, it's a weak argument for me, either way.

I'll agree to that as well.

See the difference? ;)

Firing Solich after 2003. Mistake #1. Hiring Callahan who was SP's ninth choice. Mistake #2. Callahan not retaining Pelini as DC mistake #3.

I really hope we can beat Minnesota and Iowa. I don't care if we beat them by a point each. Even if we win the bowl game, changes need to be made. Where? Who knows. Minnesota seems to be trending up after going toe to toe with Ohio St. Our team? Trending down is an understatement and we really have nothing to play for... All goals for the season lost. Saturday's game will be a huge gut check for this team.

If we do not retain BP, we need to find a younger type coach who is having success in a smaller conference and would not consider NU as a stepping stone to the $EC.

I love how people always claim that coaches will be scared off if we fire Bo. Yet, 90% of the schools in the SEC are firing their head coaches every other day of the week, but they never have trouble filling the vacancies.

Any coach above pee-wee level knows that, if you can't win the big games, then you need to go. Simple as that. I'm not sure why we are so emotionally invested in our coach, especially when he has scarcely been invested in us. Get rid of the guy.