Barney Cotton - "Nine wins . . . . What do you think of that s&%t?"

Husker_x

“Going to a bowl! Nine wins! What do you think of that s---!?” Nebraska co-offensive line coach Barney Cotton crowed Friday as he jogged to the elevator after the Huskers’ 37-34 overtime victory against Iowa.

Cotton said it just loud enough for those around him to hear, although to no one in particular. Of course, he was clearly aware of reporters in his presence.

Two other coaches, Ross Els and Tim Beck, kept their focus ahead, not making eye contact, on their way to the elevator.

Link.

We're rapidly reaching Callahan-esque levels of word watching. Nothing any of these coaches say is going to be taken well for the foreseeable future.

Is that due to an irrational fanbase, or that words no longer carry weight with the fanbase given the track record?

A combination of both.

I'm in a weird place where I can see the rationality of all sides here. Barney's right - this is an accomplishment and it's not the worst thing in the world. But those who want his head are right - the bumblery which led us to this particular place cannot go on. The levels of wrong are heavily nuanced.

We're rapidly reaching Callahan-esque levels of word watching. Nothing any of these coaches say is going to be taken well for the foreseeable future.

Well what do you expect with Callahan-esque results? :sarcasm

Certainly we're seeing Cosgrovian results. Worse, in many ways.

Remember when everyone wanted him fired for sure, if not the whole staff? And then we brought in a "defense guy" to fix what Cosgrove broke?

We definitely are way past the point of absurd word watching. Years, even.

However, and this may be influenced by my personally not being the biggest Barney fan in the world, this line just seems endemic of the wrong attitude that sometimes pervades much of the team. You can see why they'd be defensive under the circumstances I guess, but defending this kind of record as an accomplishment is not just not what fans want to see. It's a great explanation of why they don't get better results.

Because in spite of the preseason talk from the players, deep down, they don't really want better results. 9-4? They're pretty damn okay with that. Good season guys.

• Fire 3

Is that due to an irrational fanbase, or that words no longer carry weight with the fanbase given the track record?

A combination of both.

I'm in a weird place where I can see the rationality of all sides here. Barney's right - this is an accomplishment and it's not the worst thing in the world. But those who want his head are right - the bumblery which led us to this particular place cannot go on. The levels of wrong are heavily nuanced.

why do people always say this? why exactly is nine wins such an accomplishment? seems a pretty arbitrary number, especially since nine wins only earned us third place in our division this year. i guarantee you if we'd have fired solich after the 7-7 season in 2002 there wouldn't be any of this "nine win" nonsense.

A combination of both.

why do people always say this? why exactly is nine wins such an accomplishment? seems a pretty arbitrary number, especially since nine wins only earned us third place in our division this year. i guarantee you if we'd have fired solich after the 7-7 season in 2002 there wouldn't be any of this "nine win" nonsense.

...because they say it's an accomplishment. Try to keep up here. :D