So who the heck is Mike Riley and what has he ever done as a coach!?

This is a "anti-Pelini" hire all the way. He'll act like a professional and act as a unifier. If you were wondering if the players would like and want to play for the next coach, the answer is yes.

This would have been a "big" hire a few years back when he had Oregon State overachieving. Remember folks, this is Oregon State were talking about.

He's an underrated coach who has turned down USC and Alabama.

Whether or not he pans out here, I don't know, but I like the hire.

These are my thoughts exactly. I think we did a great job with this hire, and I think he'll do a great job of accomplishing the most important task before him: healing.

At his age, 61, I think he's going to set up Nebraska to a good place for its next head coaching search in a 5-8 year timeframe.

As for the doubters -- let's face it, unless the name was Jim Tressel, people were going to feel jilted. And considering Tressel's reported interest last year, before he took the YSU presidency in April 2014 and at a time when key NU regents and a former AD blocked Bo's firing, they have every right to be.

But this is a good way forward.

I know we all like to believe Nebraska is this premium job. However, it is not especially when compared to schools like Florida; Texas; USC; etc. I've thought for a while now that it was going to take a Bill Snyder type to get us where we want to go. Mike Riley is comparable to Bill Snyder. He just didn't have the JuCo pipeline that Snyder and KState have going. I think most will be surprised with what Riley can do with better facilities and more money to work with.

Too bad he didn't have close to the success of Snyder.

He was about to be run out of Corvallis, so he fell forward.

Take a quick glance at Snyder's record the two years before he retired the first time. KStaters were of the opinion the game had past him by.

I watched the ESPN breaking news video on Mike Riley as NEB new head coach

They were saying how great of a hire and how much different his demeanor was than Bo Pelini.

As that was being said they showed Riley yelling throwing his headset to the ground!

Ha! just saying....I got a good chuckle out of it.

GBR!!!!

here i got the link: http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2014/11/canzano_her_name_is_brenda_tra.html

he says "It's so sad to me that it still haunts her. It's scary what that means to a lady," Riley said. "Maybe retribution would have helped that. I don't know. I just reminded our team here recently about those things that will change their life and others in a blink of an eye."

HUH??? hold on there's more!

"I'm in the business of helping these guys grow, but some guys refuse that and you have to cut them loose totally. Some guys you have to suspend, see how they do from there. ... It's a hard world to be in. You're judge and jury. But if there were a baby sitter that was accused of molesting kids, would you continue to let them babysit your kids and wait for a jury to decide?"

WTF, continue babysitting.. no Id kill the motherf**cker

They need to fire pearl man, sleaze ball eichorst and start all over... this program is F**cked!!

It's funny...

I was just watching the civil war game last weekend and thinking, "See? This is why we fired Pelini. Even lowely Oregon State can knock off top-ranked teams or at least battle them tough."

Low and behold their coach is now our coach. The Saban comparison is an interesting one, especially since Riley has been offered the USC job twice and the Alabama job as well.

This is a risk to be certain, but I for one am not scared of taking the risk. His resume is underwhelming but his upside looks promising at best and unknown at worst. Regardless of his skills elsewhere, it's pretty obvious this guy can coach a hell of a gameplan.

• Fire 1