Mike Riley's Staff

Stetson@Stetson_GBR[/size] 13h13 hours ago

@MikelSevere 2013 NU spent 2,468,500 on assistants, that would be 10th in SEC. was 3rd in B1G. Culture needs to change in B1G and at NU.

This is pathetic to me.

This says everything about who the assistants were, not the amount Nebraska willing to spend. You have coordinators making 7 figures in places around the country. Steele made 700k as Alabama's LBs coach. We all begged Bo for staff changes but he liked who he had and that was what he wanted.

Our highest paid assistant was Beck at 700k and even he was considered to be overpaid.

I don't expect Riley or most other coaches at Nebraska to make similar choices for their assistant staff.

One thing I wonder about with the idea of potentially hiring all of these A-list assistants is whether Riley can ride the reins over them. Most of these guys being considered either have been HC's or are considered ready to be one. Bo wasn't the only guy in CFB with an ego and can any "dream team" staff work past their own ambitions and for how long? Bo obviously wasn't looking to hire anyone he thought might potentially be his replacement...

Florida State situation a few years ago when Bowden was looking to go got me thinking about it. Hope Riley doesn't get caught for whatever reason in a pool of sharks looking to be "next".

I think Riley has to hit it out of the park with getting the DC hire right and guys to coach a top defense. We are not winning BIG on offense alone. This was my biggest disappointment with Bo. Couldn't ever live up to the defense that everyone had hoped for. Defense needs to be our reputation. Are we going to produce offenses better than Oregon, Auburn, TCU, Baylor, etc.? Probably not. We have to improve the OL by leaps and bounds. Do you see how much time Mariota has back there? And the RB always gets the ball with ample time to get back to the line of scrimmage and more. We have much work to do on offense. But can we reach a defensive level like an Alabama, LSU, or Michigan State. I would say yes. And if we do this and our offense is good and does not turn the ball over, then we win BIG. I like where our DL is going. Very concerned about thin LB corp with no standouts. Same goes for secondary...too shaky and no standouts. I really want some ballers on defense. Gregory was breath of fresh air and some of the DL is showing me improvement. Davie needs to ball out. Gerry was great in first half but looked slow against good competition...maybe he moves to LB? We will miss Zaire. Bando, you're up. Just have seen nothing much from Santos? Kalu...young and wild. I am hungry for a defense that kicks ass! #Beastmode #BallOut #Blackshirts

good points on our offense likely not reaching oregon status, but defense isnt too far away imo. Lots of talent there and with some good coaching, I agree they can be up there with Bama and Mich state, etc. I will disagree on Gerry though...the kid can move...ran Melvin Gordon down twice in that game...I dont think a lot of safety's in the country could have done that

• Fire 1

One thing I wonder about with the idea of potentially hiring all of these A-list assistants is whether Riley can ride the reins over them. Most of these guys being considered either have been HC's or are considered ready to be one. Bo wasn't the only guy in CFB with an ego and can any "dream team" staff work past their own ambitions and for how long? Bo obviously wasn't looking to hire anyone he thought might potentially be his replacement...

Florida State situation a few years ago when Bowden was looking to go got me thinking about it. Hope Riley doesn't get caught for whatever reason in a pool of sharks looking to be "next".

I wouldn't be worried about this plentg of great college programs and every NFL team gets their assistants poached for a bigger better job, that's part of the coaching game. Can't fear someone will leave after xx years, if so it means you built a winning program

• Fire 1

@74: 247, presumably from Khalil Haughton's recruitment. He's the safety being recruited by Bray right now.

Trent Bray wiki

32 years old. Oregon State linebacker from 2002-05.

2008 - Graduate assistant for Dennis Erickson at Arizona State

2009 - UFL team LBs coach

2010-11 - Arizona State LBs coach

2012-14 - Oregon State GA and then LBs coach

Son of a coach.