Mike Riley's Staff

You think this will help 'crootin?

We'll see as Els was a good recruiter, even though we have not been able to hit on many LB targets the last few years.

I wonder if we have our DB and LB coaches, does that mean we already have our DC? Steele, maybe?

Guess we'll find out sometime after the SECCG

I'd be happy to get Brennan here as WR coach, but I'm bummed out on losing Fisher, and also the idea that we will likely lose our tenacity and toughness at the receiver position with him :(

That was one of the things we could really pride ourselves on the last 3 years, and harkened back to old school Nebraska. Hopefully Brennan instills a similar perspective.

Does Bray's contact with Haughton mean Warren is gone?

Area recruiting. Bray handled Texas while at Oregon State, so we will use him for that area here as well since that is where he has made contacts.

Warren will help on any recruit at his position, but if it isn't in his territory, then he won't be the lead recruiter.

Would be the same thing if we were recruiting a LB out of Georgia. Warren would be the lead recruiter on that kid, and Bray would help along the way as well.

I'd be happy to get Brennan here as WR coach, but I'm bummed out on losing Fisher, and also the idea that we will likely lose our tenacity and toughness at the receiver position with him :(

That was one of the things we could really pride ourselves on the last 3 years, and harkened back to old school Nebraska. Hopefully Brennan instills a similar perspective.

I love great downfield blocking but developing Biletnikoff winners is more effective. Defensive backs have to respect great Wr's which forces them to be out of position in the run game. Still, I hope you're right.

I love great downfield blocking but developing Biletnikoff winners is more effective than WR blocking.

WR blocking is a huge part of an offensive identity.

The following post is entirely my opinion, based solely on observations at my current job with a large transportation company combined with my knowledge of football strategy and training (I've been observing practices and going to coaching clinics for a few years at a few programs.)

In a Div. 1 football program, the football staff needs to be set up with a minimum of 4, optimally 5, separate but cooperating departments.

Offense, led by the OC. OC should have almost total control of the scheme within perameters set by HC based on the goal of the offense (scoring priority vs time of possesions philosophies, to complement a defensive philosophy). Under the OC, several assistant coaches should have two jobs. The first is to develop the players in their particular position group (QB, RB, exc.) Some time should also be put into recruiting players to fit the overall scheme.

Defense, led by the DC. DC should have almost total control of the defensive scheme within the perameters set by the HC. (Attacking defense to get the ball back in the offense's hands, or bend-dont-break designed solely to limit opponents points, either philosophy must complement the offensive philosophy) assistant coaches have priority to developing players within assistants player group (DL, LB, DB...) with some time spent on recruiting new talent.

Special teams, can have its own department but not always necessary. ST Coord. Designs ST scheme within overall team philosophy (Big play ST vs Field position ST). Should borrow assistant coaches from O or D as needed.

Recruiting department. Led primarily by the Head Coach, made up of one or two elite recruiters (who may also be assistant coaches or coordinators if able to manage multiple responsibilities) and GAs to do most of the time-intensive scouting (which would free up other coaches to focus on player development until phone calls/ in home visits are required). Sets up a streamlined process of finding top talent, establishing first contact and gaging interest, and pursuit of the top recruits, with the biggest names on the coaching staff acting as the "closers".

Finally, S&C. Led by S&C coord. This incorporates team doctors, dieticians, strength trainers, ext. The goal is to physically train and prepare players to physically succeed in their role as outlined in O or D scheme based on overall philosophy. From strength, to speed, to weight, to endurance, to stretching/injury prevention, to rehabilitation, ext. This department oversees all physical condition of players. This frees up position coaches to focus on skill building and mental development (understanding scheme, motivation, ect.)

Head coach makes sure every department understands the overall team philosophy, makes sure the best available people are in position to bring success to the program, and makes sure all departments are communicating and cooperating like a well oiled machine. If this idea is properly installed, the program will achieve success in all areas, from recruiting, to development, to winning games, to winning championships.

Welcome Mike Riley. Ready to see who his staff is. Here are what I've seen/my thoughts for now.

DC: Most expect him to bring his long time DC who has been a DC at College and NFL level, Mark Banker. But who knows. Ed Oregon would be ideal for me.

OC: Sources close to OSU who expect Banker to come with DO NOT expect him to bring John Garrett (brother of Jason Garrett).

RB: Has a very well respected coach Chris Brasfield who played at TCU and is a Texas native. Voted a top 50 recruiter by 247. I really see Ron Brown retiring and this could be his replacement.

OLINE: Haven't heard anything...his current guy seems so so. Wouldn't mind retaining Garrison.

WR: Current guy is a west coast guy through and through. Did coach the Biletnikoff WR Brandon Cooks last year. I liked Fisher, but don't know much here.

DB: Current guy has only been at OSU for 3 years. This gives me hope that we can retain Warren.

DLINE: Hawai'i guy that was voted one of the best PAC10 recruiters last year. Would love to keep Kaz.

LB: Current guy is former OSU great who was promoted from Grad Assistant to LB coach. I would bet he stays at OSU.

I will be incredibly disappointed if the new staff is a selection of the best from OSU and Nebraska. Open the checkbook and get the absolute best at every position. I wouldn't mind if we ended up without a single OSU or Nebraska staff member being retained.