Interview with Oregon St Play by Play guy...

Banker is a terrible hire. No question about it.

Prediction: Riley and his staff get us 6-7 wins next season.

...and that should be completely unacceptable If that happens. 9 wins (or more) next year. NO EXCUSES.
It is just as likely for Bo to get us 7 wins next season. Losses: BYU with their freak QB back, Miami, Mich St, Wisconsin, Minny, NW or Iowa.

Do I expect it to happen? No I sure don't but it isn't impossible without Gregory or Ameer on our roster

I don't think the BYU QB is a "freak" anymore....he broke his leg and probably won't be in the game next year

If that happens then a win against BYU becomes much more likely.

Rehab is 6 months which started a month ago. Taysom Hill has said he expects to be fully healthy and ready to go full speed when fall practices start. He's also had a previous injury before which has helped him a lot mentally while rehabbing this current one. He also denied reports of ligaments shattered, and confirmed his leg was broken. He'll be ready to go. Will be a big test for Huskers, new coach or former.

Taysom Hill can say all he wants about being ready in the fall. I have no doubt he believes he will be ready. Most likely he will play, but you don't come back from that sort of an injury and just automatically have your A game. That was a real ugly injury.

By the way how do you know BYU is going to be so great next year even with Hill? Most all you guys know about BYU is that they are Mormans and have beat Texas bad 2 years in a row. Living in Idaho I have watched them quite a few times. They were pretty good with Hill, but very average without him. He was basically their whole offense. I just don't see him playing like that on that leg that soon.

...and that should be completely unacceptable If that happens. 9 wins (or more) next year. NO EXCUSES.
It is just as likely for Bo to get us 7 wins next season. Losses: BYU with their freak QB back, Miami, Mich St, Wisconsin, Minny, NW or Iowa.

Do I expect it to happen? No I sure don't but it isn't impossible without Gregory or Ameer on our roster

Then why not fire Bo next year?

Nebraska didn't exactly go out and get the best coach with Riley. By far imo. What's Nebraska even striving for anymore? No blowout losses? We wants wins and Riley better produce else it's next man up in 3 years.

So you know you have an employee who can't get it done at work right? Do you let him continue to do subpar work or take a flier on a guy you think (SE) is much better at the job? Easy answer from a business perspective which is what SE views this as
Actually, you don't take a flier. You do everything you can to make sure you get the best candidate for the job.

#Movinggoalposts

#Loweredexpecyations

Where have expectations been lowered? I expect championships. However you can't give a guy 3 years to do it when you gave the previous guy 7. Not to mention the difference in personality types. In coaching a guy deserves 5 years IMO
Different situation. Bo had to do a pretty big rebuild job. This guy doesn't. The team has been winning consistently, his job is much easier than Bo's was. The expectations increase. Shawn said it was about championship football, not me. Bo faired to meet his championship expectations, if the new guy does the same, he should be sitting next to Bo in the unemployment line.

And for those who are speculating what Bo would do with next years schedule, what does it matter? He's no longer our coach, we don't know, it doesn't matter.

Bo had a rebuild job? He inherited one of the most talented Ds we have seen in a few decades. You wanna talk complete rebuilds look at what Callahan was left with when he arrived. THAT is a complete rebuild.

Also with as mentally weak as our team has been in big games for a few years it might be more of a rebuild than you think. Considering this is going to be a New system entirely. Expecting us to surpass everything Bo could accomplish in 7 years in a New HCs first year is completely stupid

Bo inherited over a 5-7 team. For Nebraska, I'd say thats a rebuild. Riley is inheriting a 9-10 win team.

I don't think the BYU QB is a "freak" anymore....he broke his leg and probably won't be in the game next year

If that happens then a win against BYU becomes much more likely.

Rehab is 6 months which started a month ago. Taysom Hill has said he expects to be fully healthy and ready to go full speed when fall practices start. He's also had a previous injury before which has helped him a lot mentally while rehabbing this current one. He also denied reports of ligaments shattered, and confirmed his leg was broken. He'll be ready to go. Will be a big test for Huskers, new coach or former.

Taysom Hill can say all he wants about being ready in the fall. I have no doubt he believes he will be ready. Most likely he will play, but you don't come back from that sort of an injury and just automatically have your A game. That was a real ugly injury.

By the way how do you know BYU is going to be so great next year even with Hill? Most all you guys know about BYU is that they are Mormans and have beat Texas bad 2 years in a row. Living in Idaho I have watched them quite a few times. They were pretty good with Hill, but very average without him. He was basically their whole offense. I just don't see him playing like that on that leg that soon.

That makes sense. After hearing that, I would not disagree with your BYU knowledge. I saw BYU play on TV 5 or 6 times in the past few years. They were fun to watch at times. Saw them both times against Texas, once against Houston and that Utah State game and UCF. I can't remember the few other games the year before. But you are right, there is a Night and Day difference without Hill. I know he was way better running than throwing. But he was also very competitive and they were tough to stop once they got going (offense). So if he's healthy, he's a pretty good player. So I give him proper credit.

Reilly gets a 8-9 win floor next year. In 2016, we need to win the division. He should win a conference title by year 3. If it's not done by year 5, it ain't gonna happen and we need to move on.

There is really good talent on this team. I think that record is doable. I categorize our opponents it in a group of 3. I always do.

Biggest Challenge: Wisconsin, Michigan State (??)

Good competition teams: at Miami, BYU, Minnesota, Northwestern, Iowa (3-2 or 4-1)

Fluff: South Alabama, Southern Miss, Illinois, Purdue, Rutgers (5-0)

Wouldn't you agree with the talent we have plus the new leadership in command that it's possible to scrape up 8-9 wins? I also am very excited to see how we do in those big games. I know what we've done in the past.

Since the hiring of Mike Riley, I am in full support and encouraged that we can be more competitive in those games. Maybe even come away with a split? Because that is the new hope and excitement that I have these days.

What I'm saying is in the next 2 years anything less than 11 wins per year, a B1G championship, and a spot in the playoffs should call for a coaching, AD, and chancellor change.

so you were ok with Bo's 9 wins, but anything less than 11 and a championship is reason for termination? you f'in up every thread with nonsense is starting to get old - please at least tell me you're trolling and not serious with most of this

9~10 wins wasn't good enough for Bo. Are we changing the standards now?

Bo had to rebuild this program as a first time head coach. The new guy doesn't have to rebuild, he has to change some things and has about 15years head coaching experience.

The schedule is even more beneficial next year than it was this. the talent is there. If this guy is really as elite as Shawn makes him out to be, then no, I'm not kidding. 11 wins should be his basement.

Bo wasn't fired for his wins, he was fired because of his bad losses and his piss poor attitude but go ahead and keep your blinders on seeing nothing but the W-L column.

Bo didn't have to rebuild the program. When he came in the defense had NFL talent like Suh and Amukamara plus other talent like Gomes and Crick and the offense was ranked 7th the prior year.

Reilly gets a 8-9 win floor next year. In 2016, we need to win the division. He should win a conference title by year 3. If it's not done by year 5, it ain't gonna happen and we need to move on.

that's not entirely unreasonable assuming the state of the B1G is similar. if OSU is still rolling and we're losing close to a top 5 urban meyer team then I could see it taking longer to win one though. if he's losing to a 5 loss Wisconsin by 39 in year 5 though....good bye

• Fire 2

Then why not fire Bo next year?

Nebraska didn't exactly go out and get the best coach with Riley. By far imo. What's Nebraska even striving for anymore? No blowout losses? We wants wins and Riley better produce else it's next man up in 3 years.

So you know you have an employee who can't get it done at work right? Do you let him continue to do subpar work or take a flier on a guy you think (SE) is much better at the job? Easy answer from a business perspective which is what SE views this as
Actually, you don't take a flier. You do everything you can to make sure you get the best candidate for the job.

#Movinggoalposts

#Loweredexpecyations

Where have expectations been lowered? I expect championships. However you can't give a guy 3 years to do it when you gave the previous guy 7. Not to mention the difference in personality types. In coaching a guy deserves 5 years IMO
Different situation. Bo had to do a pretty big rebuild job. This guy doesn't. The team has been winning consistently, his job is much easier than Bo's was. The expectations increase. Shawn said it was about championship football, not me. Bo faired to meet his championship expectations, if the new guy does the same, he should be sitting next to Bo in the unemployment line.

And for those who are speculating what Bo would do with next years schedule, what does it matter? He's no longer our coach, we don't know, it doesn't matter.

Bo had a rebuild job? He inherited one of the most talented Ds we have seen in a few decades. You wanna talk complete rebuilds look at what Callahan was left with when he arrived. THAT is a complete rebuild.

Also with as mentally weak as our team has been in big games for a few years it might be more of a rebuild than you think. Considering this is going to be a New system entirely. Expecting us to surpass everything Bo could accomplish in 7 years in a New HCs first year is completely stupid

Bo inherited over a 5-7 team. For Nebraska, I'd say thats a rebuild. Riley is inheriting a 9-10 win team.

Win-Loss records don't tell the whole story. Nebraska didn't go 5-7 due to a lack of talent that's for sure. Generally speaking, when a team has to be rebuilt it's due to a lack of talent.

that's not entirely unreasonable assuming the state of the B1G is similar. if OSU is still rolling and we're losing close to a top 5 urban meyer team then I could see it taking longer to win one though. if he's losing to a 5 loss Wisconsin by 39 in year 5 though....good bye

Pretty much. Here's the scary part. If he hasn't done it in 5 years... it will have been 2 decades since our last title.

The issue for Riley (and Eichorst) is going to be if he doesn't make the conference championship game. Immediately.

is that what hawks thinks?

• Fire 1

What I'm saying is in the next 2 years anything less than 11 wins per year, a B1G championship, and a spot in the playoffs should call for a coaching, AD, and chancellor change.

so you were ok with Bo's 9 wins, but anything less than 11 and a championship is reason for termination? you f'in up every thread with nonsense is starting to get old - please at least tell me you're trolling and not serious with most of this

Bo had to rebuild this program as a first time head coach. The new guy doesn't have to rebuild, he has to change some things and has about 15years head coaching experience.

The schedule is even more beneficial next year than it was this. the talent is there. If this guy is really as elite as Shawn makes him out to be, then no, I'm not kidding. 11 wins should be his basement.

For seven seasons I refused to assign Bo Pelini a magic number to guage his success. For me it was an eye test and a gut test.

I'm gonna stick with that system for Mike Riley.

The basement next season is improvement. I'll decide it when I see it.

Please join me.

For seven seasons I refused to assign Bo Pelini a magic number to guage his success. For me it was an eye test and a gut test.

I'm gonna stick with that system for Mike Riley.

The basement next season is improvement. I'll decide it when I see it.

Please join me.

i agree with this. i think 4 years is a good time to look back and see what has been done and where the program is going. but along the way you hope to see improvement and promise.

i do think 8-9 wins next season is not unreasonable.

Pretty much. Here's the scary part. If he hasn't done it in 5 years... it will have been 2 decades since our last title.

If last weekend was any indication, that's a very real possibility. each year that passes OSU gets a little farther ahead of everyone else. I have a feeling we'll be playing a #1 or #2 team for the championship every year. He's going to need to be solid during the regular season because we wont' be beating them all that often.