Interview with Oregon St Play by Play guy...

Play-by-play guy for Oregon State football was just interviewed on 1620 the zone. He gave his opinion on Riley and his coaches he is bringing along.

Overall, he thinks Riley should do well at Nebraska, but did think Riley seemed tired at OSU. Maybe needs a new start.

He did say he does not think Bruce Read or Banker were very good hires. He said Oregon State has had below average special teams for quite a few years and said Read is not a good recruiter at all. Really questioned that hire. Also said Mark Banker was completely over-matched as a DC and thinks he has a lot a work ahead of him.

Really praised the hires of Brennan and Bray as up and coming stars in the coaching ranks.

Interesting to hear the opinion straight from Oregon St.

(I just stole this from another board...I did not hear it...but it still sucks a bit)

• Fire 1

Since we rarely had anyone coaching ST before (and Barney at TE) - any hire there is an improvement, as is any hire at DC (assuming that's where banker ends up). So I'd say Riley is 4 for 4 on upgrading the staff thus far.

Chris, you're uncharacteristically positive about Riley and his staff!

Are you feeling ok?

Since we rarely had anyone coaching ST before (and Barney at TE) - any hire there is an improvement, as is any hire at DC (assuming that's where banker ends up). So I'd say Riley is 4 for 4 on upgrading the staff thus far.

Chris, you're uncharacteristically positive about Riley and his staff!

Are you feeling ok?

I've always felt we weren't that far off. That's why I was so down on Pelini because I've watched him piss down his leg a number of opportunities over the last few years to get over the hump. I am still waiting on the OC/DC because I think those are going to be what either makes this an A hire, or a C+ hire. Pelini found out the hard way how important those 2 staff positions are to your success. I think Riley gets that.

Even with mediocre assistants though, Riley gets us 9 wins with our schedule just like Pelini, and we at least don't get outcoached to the tune of 30+ blowouts a couple times a season anymore.

Play-by-play guy for Oregon State football was just interviewed on 1620 the zone. He gave his opinion on Riley and his coaches he is bringing along.[/size]Overall, he thinks Riley should do well at Nebraska, but did think Riley seemed tired at OSU. Maybe needs a new start.[/size]He did say he does not think Bruce Read or Banker were very good hires. He said Oregon State has had below average special teams for quite a few years and said Read is not a good recruiter at all. Really questioned that hire. Also said Mark Banker was completely over-matched as a DC and thinks he has a lot a work ahead of him.[/size]Really praised the hires of Brennan and Bray as up and coming stars in the coaching ranks.[/size]Interesting to hear the opinion straight from Oregon St.[/size]

(I just stole this from another board...I did not hear it...but it still sucks a bit)[/size]

I have always believed that in general, below average STs show a lack of depth that a team has. Obviously, that isn't always the case.

Since my update was moved out of the staff hire thread, I'll try to see is it will stick here.

The radio guy said that the WR & LB coaches are solid.

Said the ST guy sucks and is a bad recruiter. (Total waste off staff space, imo) .

Said the DC isn't very good. Can stop staight ahead running teams but sucks against spread teams (the anti Bo).

Said the OL coach hasn't done well, but hasn't had much to work with, which led him to the assumption that he is a bad recruiter, too.

Sorry, might've accidentally tagged a few staff-related posts amidst the other 50 irrelevant ones.

Thanks for the update. Not too worried about what theirs, or our, or anyone's radio guy thinks. They have to cater to their fanbase, too, and may be fans themselves. I'm sure Oregon State fans are thinking exactly what our fans would be in this scenario: "It's not that bad, we'll be fine."

To the point about their DC, which has been repeated, I wonder if that's not tied to who is running the spread out there in the Pac. That's Chip Kelly & disciples, and lately, Rich Rod...among maybe others?

• Fire 2

Since my update was moved out of the staff hire thread, I'll try to see is it will stick here.

The radio guy said that the WR & LB coaches are solid.

Said the ST guy sucks and is a bad recruiter. (Total waste off staff space, imo) .

Said the DC isn't very good. Can stop staight ahead running teams but sucks against spread teams (the anti Bo).

Said the OL coach hasn't done well, but hasn't had much to work with, which led him to the assumption that he is a bad recruiter, too.

So that is perfect with our division. Who runs a spread in the Big Ten West? Purdue?