Who Starts @ I-Back Next Season?

New coach, all slates wiped clean. It's now a matter of who can pick up the new system the best. I've heard great things about Wilbon, if AT can stay healthy, he'd be my #2, Cross will be the bruiser back. IF Bussey comes, unless he picks it up very fast, I think they RS him.

sill goose. Riley dont run the ball. He throws it 85 times a game.

I lol'd.

I haven't read all of the replies. The one thing I'm hoping for is to use Cross downhill. "OH NOES, BUT THEN THE OTHER TEAM WILL KNOW WHAT'S COMING!!!1"

It works for Iowa. I'm using the term "works" loosely, but this is the B1G. Do what works - run Cross downhill situationally. Could go a long ways.

On average, Riley's offense is balanced.

year/passes/rushes (bolded is rodgers era - other 4 years was mannion who was a solid passer)

2014 / 472 / 376

2013 / 625 / 355
2012 / 505 / 442
2011 / 503 / 318
2010 / 373 / 386
2009 / 478 / 440
2008 / 448 / 487

He's certainly more balanced when he has a rushing attach which Nebraska has. But, he's still going to lean towards the pass heavier that we are used to I think.

year/passes/rushes (bolded is rodgers era - other 4 years was mannion who was a solid passer)

2014 / 472 / 376

2013 / 355 / 625
2012 / 442 / 505
2011 / 318 / 503
2010 / 386 / 373
2009 / 440 / 478
2008 / 487 / 448

Those stats are outstanding.

For me, it reinforces the buzz that Riley adapts a system to what he's got. If he's got ultra-talented backs to work with, those numbers from 2013 & 2011 indicate that all of the people caught up in a hissy fit that "Riley passes too much" should probably calm the **** down. And, let's just be honest with ourselves - Ameer graduating puts a huge question mark over the I-Back position anyway. Passing a little more may end up being what *next year's team* needs.

I think I like what I'm seeing.

• Fire 1

Those stats are outstanding.

For me, it reinforces the buzz that Riley adapts a system to what he's got. If he's got ultra-talented backs to work with, those numbers from 2013 & 2011 indicate that all of the people caught up in a hissy fit that "Riley passes too much" should probably calm the **** down. And, let's just be honest with ourselves - Ameer graduating puts a huge question mark over the I-Back position anyway. Passing a little more may end up being what *next year's team* needs.

I think I like what I'm seeing.

except the source I was pulling from switched them up from year to year... :P so my original numbers were mixed

Passing doesnt bother me. it's the situational use. Beck didnt know what he was doing. His run/pass was like 70/30, but it was when he threw and how he did that didnt just frustrate me, it would flat out piss me off. We could be a 20/80 under Riley, but if it's effective, and the qb can handle it, and the situational use of play action and different route concepts fits the overall philosophy i'm fine with it. Just win the damn game and dont look like an idiot by going away from what working week in and week out. And for the love of god, just decide what you wanna do, and be really great at it.

My comment on him throwing the ball all the time earlier was sarcastic.

I agree Cross is much more of a downhill runner. He's more valuable with a lead blocker and getting North/South, not running East/West and then making an explosive cut.

I was always really impressed with Taylor dating back to high school, but, that's a grain of salt at this point IMHO. But, he had pretty good vision and was explosive. He was also getting a lot of buzz before he got hurt and very well could have played last year. My guess is as good as any right now, but since Cross and Newby are the most experienced, I think they'll get the closest looks. But, I'd love to see what Taylor can do and to see if he can compete for PT this year.

All of the backs were lauded when recruited. Wilbon/Taylor/Bussey are great prospects, Newby played as a freshman, use his speed and apply stick-um to hands, lol. Cross has speed size and talent, his vision is in question for me, thou, in the right system he could excel. I'm thinking it's Cross/Newby to start with, Taylor/Wilbon playing more mid season, Bussey redshirt. Riley will IMO create packages to get the most out of the talented backfield, he'll also use the receiving corp, including the TE as a weapon, not in desperation.

I like the HC hire, don't know any of assistants. I do remember Riley in San Diego. I liked his style then. Just don't think he had NFL mentality. GBR