Is HuskerNation divided more than ever

Husker Q

How can anyone judge how great a recruiter they are when they have been working in Corvallis Oregon, and that program....

Baffles me. Some recruiters are better than other simply due to what program they are at, why can't this be the case now? Oh...because negativity is flowing hard here

I agree, recruiting there is insanely difficult. However, I felt it was necessary to bring in an assistant with a history of landing 4 star players, which is absolutely necessary to win.

Right now we're just hoping he's able to do it here because of our 'brand'.

It baffles me that people think recruiting will improve significantly. Will Riley recruit as well as Pelini? Probably. But Nebraska needs to make a massive jump, regularly bring in top 15 classes, which is going to be difficult without a proven recruiter.

To bridge the gap between our fringe top 25 classes and classes closer to the top 15, we needed to spend the money to bring in a few mega recruiters. That has yet to happen.

he was fired because Perlman didn't "like" him plain and simple- if TO were still AD does anyone think Pellini would have been fired? take all your emotions about Pellini out of it, the answer is very pellucid- and it is no

this board flipped from 30/70 in favor of Pelini to 80/20 against in a matter of 3 games. he was likely getting fired after Wisconsin regardless, Minny sealed the deal. TO would have done the same thing, if not the program was going to implode on itself.

How can anyone judge how great a recruiter they are when they have been working in Corvallis Oregon, and that program....

Baffles me. Some recruiters are better than other simply due to what program they are at, why can't this be the case now? Oh...because negativity is flowing hard here

I agree, recruiting there is insanely difficult. However, I felt it was necessary to bring in an assistant with a history of landing 4 star players, which is absolutely necessary to win.

It baffles me that people think recruiting will improve significantly. Will Riley recruit as well as Pelini? Probably. But Nebraska needs to make a massive jump, regularly bring in top 15 classes, which is going to be difficult without a proven recruiter.

To bridge the gap between our fringe top 25 classes and classes closer to the top 15, we needed to spend the money to bring in a few mega recruiters. That has yet to happen.

Disagree. Go look at Oregon's classes. The key is development and fitting the system. Recruiting is fine and dandy but not end all be all, we should know that from Callahan.

Plenty of talent here already. They need developed rather than put in the dog house for messing up in the slightest. Gosh dangit.

he was fired because Perlman didn't "like" him plain and simple- if TO were still AD does anyone think Pellini would have been fired? take all your emotions about Pellini out of it, the answer is very pellucid- and it is no

He was fired because his teams didn't show improvement, kept getting utterly embarrassed on national TV, and because he refused to make the necessary changes to his staff and scheme to move this team forward.

The fact that Tom Osborne would have kept him is a knock against Osborne.

Harvey Perlman has become the go-to boogieman for a lot of people. Whether Perlman was our Chancellor or not, Pelini still should have been fired. He should have been fired last year, after the Iowa debacle.

• Fire 9

We are positive in the same way you were 100% sure that Bo was never going to win anything at nebraska Hedley. For the last two years the Bo haters have been on here bashing every loss, coach and playcall. Now it's our turn to question everything your coach does. Sounds like he is already off to a good start with the hiring of Banker and Read. It's not a good sign when the Oregon state play by play guy says they suck.

I hope your post is meant to be sarcastic. It perfectly illustrates the "us versus them" attitutude that defined the Bo Pelini era and created the toxicity around the program that led to everyones' misery and Pelini's dismissal. Pelini wasn't fired for only winning 9 games, he was fired for fostering this divide in the program.

If Pelini had spent more time managing the team and less time worrying that officials, administrators, media, conference officials and bad fans were out to get him, he probably would have had more success on the field and would likely still be the coach

Every Husker fan I've talked to in person was ready for Pelini to go. Every single one. It wasn't just Perlman that didn't "like" him.

• Fire 1

It seems that an even greater rift is occurring in Huskerland. There was a Bo-leaver vs Bo-liever split but this hire seems to have made the division even wider. There appear to be 3 general groups:

1. Kool-aid/eternal optimist group. They believe that this is a good hire and the future is bright. Their main argument is that he did not have the resources at OSU that he will at NU. Or they just hated Bo and MR is a "nice guy".

2. "Wait and See" (probably the biggest group). They want Dear Old Nebraska U to succeed. Maybe don't know a lot about MR, uncertain but hoping for the best.

3. Downgrade hire. I fall into this group. The reason we are unhappy is because we care about Nebraska and feel this hire sets us back 5 years (1-3 until he's gone, another 1-3 to turn it back around) just to get back to where we are now. I am highly confident that this will be the case. I therefore have very little hope for the next few years. That is depressing. Maybe he will prove me wrong. But I said the same thing the day BC was hired and it was an extremely long and painful 4 years.

Whichever group you fall, this could be considered a bad hire simply b/c of the division created. SE could have united HuskerNation with a different hire:

1. A proven successful coach, Jon Gruden, Jim Harbaugh, even Jerry Kill, Lance Leipold. Everyone would see a history of success and have hopes for the program. Riley obviously does not have a history of success.

2. A Nebraska tie. Turner Gill or Scott Frost. Each would have questions; Gill success at Buffalo and Liberty but not at Kansas, Frost inexperience. But both hires would have the full fan base behind them, some would be unsure but all would be excited to see the future. Riley has no connection to NE.

3. Nebraska "style". Paul Johnson, Troy Calhoun, Jerry Kill would have a lot of Husker fans remembering the dominant option/power running years. Riley's west coast offense will not peak interest a significant group of Huskers.

I think Riley already has a big group with serious doubts and will quickly lose the fan base with a loss to an inferior team. The other hires would have more backing and longer leashes. He must have immediate success to get everyone to believe in him. We have a lot of talent returning so should not take a step back. A new coach/system would be another excuse. Good coaches know how to best use their talent.

Reasons I'm not optimistic:

Mike Riley had 14 years at OSU to change the program. He brought a bad team to a mediocre team but not above that. Making excuses for having a bad team is very disappointing. Good coaches will find a way to win and improve the program, WITHOUT EXCUSES. There are many cases of good coaches lifting bad programs to good programs (KSU, Mizzou, TCU, Miami, FSU, Baylor, Boise State, etc...). MR never improved the program to above mediocre, never increased the interest, the coaching, the recruiting. He has never even won his division. Heck, Dennis Erickson coached Riley's players to more success than MR.

MR coached the San Diego Charger to their WORST RECORD IN FRANCHISE HISTORY! Good coaches simply do not do that. The Chargers do not have less resources than all other NFL teams. He just has a long history of non-success.

Why would anyone have confidence in SE to know football coaching? He has never hired a football coach. He never coached football. He didn't play in the NFL. Where is all of this football knowledge you speak of? He played at UW-Whitewater so he must know everything? All he has done in regards to football coaches is extend the contract of Al Golden, who went 6-6 this year with the Miami Hurricanes. And many Miami fans would like to see gone but it's more difficult b/c of his contract that SI extended. SE is a lawyer with no previous ties or cares for Nebraska. I repeat, he is a lawyer.

I don't drink Kool-Aid I look at stats. You don't. Corvallis is a dump. Like playing in a big Kearney. The facilities suck and Phil Knight U is just up the road. At least give Coach Riles a

couple games before you start sticking pins in your voodoo doll. And by the way, "MR coached the San Diego Charger to their WORST RECORD IN FRANCHISE HISTORY! " He had Ryan Leaf as his QB. Bellicheck wouldn't have done any better.

T_O_B

Disagree. Go look at Oregon's classes. The key is development and fitting the system. Recruiting is fine and dandy but not end all be all, we should know that from Callahan.

Plenty of talent here already. They need developed rather than put in the dog house for messing up in the slightest. Gosh dangit.

I don't think the current recruiting is good enough to compete for a championship on a year to year basis. Once every 5 years or so? Sure.

Development can only get you so far. But bringing in fringe top 25 talent isnt going to get it done. Gotta bring in better players, because coaching was only part of the equation. I honestly do believe the head coach is better in that regard, but our current recruiting classes simply arent good enough.

Another thread about this?

Can you guys just knock it off with the "another thread" comments. In case you haven't noticed, this is a message board about Nebraska football. EVERY topic is about Nebraska football. Yeah, there may be a some redundancies.

We're going to be fixing the redundancies. And if people keep making redundancies, their ability to do so will be curtailed.

• Fire 3

"Pellucid" Learn a new word today? Pellucid - translucent, transparent, crystalline, glassy, limpid, unclouded. Obvious would have been a better choice of word.

T_O_B

I don't think that hiring 2) a Nebraska tie or 3) a Nebraska style would have united people. There are plenty, including me, who are willing to not be tied to our past to move forward. Some of those names might've been fine, some not. Given that Riley is not an obvious choice to give us a chance to move forward I can understand those who wanted 2) or 3) to say "if that's all you're going to get, you should've gotten a Nebraska guy or style", but I'm in the wait and see camp.

I don't think the current recruiting is good enough to compete for a championship on a year to year basis. Once every 5 years or so? Sure.

Development can only get you so far. But bringing in fringe top 25 talent isnt going to get it done. Gotta bring in better players, because coaching was only part of the equation. I honestly do believe the head coach is better in that regard, but our current recruiting classes simply arent good enough.

Bahhh!! Why can't you just agree with me?! ;)

Agree to disagree then. Ha!

Divided? I disagree. Most I talk to IRL are excited after researching the old ball coach. On Huskerboard? Of course. Message boards are beacons of light for cry babies. They really are. Refute this fact that's fine. I always laugh when someone says "wow they must not read the message boards" no they don't. Because husker board is not representative of the voice of huskernation.

Divided? I disagree. Most I talk to IRL are excited after researching the old ball coach. On Huskerboard? Of course. Message boards are beacons of light for cry babies. They really are. Refute this fact that's fine. I always laugh when someone says "wow they must not read the message boards" no they don't. Because husker board is not representative of the voice of huskernation.

Yet here you are.

• Fire 1