New NU Director for Football Operations Dan Van De Riet

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2014/12/oregon_state_beavers_associate.html

Oregon State Associate Athletic Director for Football Operations Dan Van De Riet is joining Mike Riley's staff at Nebraska, a source close to the situation told The Oregonian Tuesday morning.

Van De Riet spent 14 years at OSU, first as the assistant director of football operations before being promoted to director of football operations in 2008. He was promoted again to his most recent role in October. Van De Riet was responsible for managing OSU's travel, budget, summer camps, bowl arrangements, other team events and overall day-to-day operation of the program.

Beaverblitz.com has also reported OSU director of player personnel Ryan Gunderson, who has largely organized the Beavers' recruiting, is also following Riley to Nebraska.

I don't know about anyone else, but for some reason, my gut finds it a little disconcerting that we are, kind of, a NU/OSU program personnel merger at this point.

Is this far from the norm? Where a coach brings in this many people from the same program? It strikes me as odd that he hasn't hired anyone outside of his comfort zone yet.

I hope I'm wrong and that all these pieces will only make Riley and staff better.

• Fire 1

I don't know about anyone else, but for some reason, my gut finds it a little disconcerting that we are, kind of, a NU/OSU program personnel merger at this point.

Is this far from the norm? Where a coach brings in this many people from the same program? It strikes me as odd that he hasn't hired anyone outside of his comfort zone yet.

I hope I'm wrong and that all these pieces will only make Riley and staff better.

5 people isn't a.merger.

I think he's focused on recruiting the next few days before the dead period begins, and plugging holes that need plugging. Riley probably needed this position filled to help get things organized and functioning. The football staff he brought immediately from OSU can help recruit once they're cleared. I suspect the other hires will come when he has some time during the recruiting dead period that lasts through the beginning of January.

5 people isn't a.merger.

Umm... a head coach, 4 of his assistants, the director of football operations and the director of player personnel certainly approaches merger territory.

No worries on walk-ons. Riley is (& has been) a big supporter.

When the dust begins to settle and things slow down a bit, I am eager to see Riley's crew reach out to the local HS coaches. By all accounts, Riley 'gets it' when it comes to building relationships with HS coaching staffs and that is where recruiting starts - whether its a 5* or a walk-on.

• Fire 1

5 people isn't a.merger.

Umm... a head coach, 4 of his assistants, the director of football operations and the director of player personnel certainly approaches merger territory.
riley is a seasoned veteran. i would imagine the osu program was built around him. this does not seem strange to me at all. the sale of riley is that he develops players, particularly qbs, and he adapts. although i would like to see some big name coordinators still, it is not a major concern if he wants to work with who he is familiar with.
  • Fire 1

Agree completely.

5 people isn't a.merger.

So 6(not counting HC) of like 16(maybe more) total positions in the football area are a merger. Child.... Please.