Avery Moss - updates - 1/9 **readmission denied**

C N Red

Appears last year, Avery talked to the Title IX investigator, who laid out what he needed to do and if he completed that, she all but assured him he would be allowed back as a student. She retired in July I believe, and the new Title IX investigator didn't think allowing Avery Moss to be a student again was a good idea for now. So, while Avery did everything that was asked, it appears the new investigator still felt he was too much of a risk to allow back as a student. Hence being denied. I'm sure the fallout of Jameis and what's happening in Eugene has an impact on Avery's decision.

Yeah, this has a feel of politics and PR more than anything else.

So once again, doing the "safe" thing trumps doing what (may) be the right thing.

Moss could have done both at the same time and we wouldn't be having this conversation...right?...

BigRedBuster nailed it with his post. Not playing at Nebraska might be the best thing for Avery Moss, and getting back on the team might not be. Anyone remember Scott Baldwin?

Not only do I remember him, I was at the game when he was hit late going into the North end zone while crossing the goal line by a defender that ended up injuring him and starting the entire downward spiral of his life.

It would have been impossible to predict at that seemingly insignificant moment.

(I know that was not the intent of your reference, it just reignited my memory of how all that eventually played out)

I mentioned this in another thread earlier in the week. I am not condoning Baldwin's actions as a player, but he suffered from severe mental illness. I met Baldwin (I was a teenager) while Dr. Jack Stark was working with him after his initial troubles. He seemed like a nice, but troubled young man. It's unfortunate what he did to his victim in Lincoln, but it was also unfortunate when Baldwin was shot in the back by a female police officer, and was eventually paralyzed from the waist down.

I also think that if you lay out some parameters and someone has shown a willingness to learn and change that you give them a second chance...but I guess it is what it is.

i think he probably did have a good chance to be reinstated at the time. however, with all the sexual assault issues on campuses that have been brought to light, the school no longer believes it judicious to give another chance for such a transgression.

does anyone remember this suspend ion was not for showing his wienie, but for violating the condition they put on him for showing his wienie ,?

Kind of kills the whole self-righteous point of view by some. We already forgave him for wienie flashing.

that is how probation violations work. the original charge is called back into question. you are not forgiven until you are off probation.

Hey, you've done everything we asked you

I'm pretty sure Avery Moss was asked (or warned) not to hang brain or do anything to get him in trouble...right?

And I'm also pretty sure Avery Moss was asked (or warned) not to go to the dorms until given the okay...right?

So this makes Jay Moore an @sshat for saying this and trying to pass it off as true...right?

He seemed like a nice, but troubled young man. It's unfortunate what he did to his victim in Lincoln, but it was also unfortunate when Baldwin was shot in the back by a female police officer, and was eventually paralyzed from the waist down

.Absolutely this. I don't "blame" Scott Baldwin for his episodes. What I am saying is that NU and Scott needed to forget about football and his NFL career and focus on getting him on an even keel long term, because some things are more important than playing Nebraska (or NFL) football.

Here is something some people just never can get through their thick scull no matter if it is in society or on a job or in a relationship.

If you do something stupid and inappropriate, you open yourself up to the consequences of what ever happens. It is not the University's fault he is not coming back. It's not because he is being mistreated. It's not because someone is being mean to him. it is because he did something stupid.

He will learn from it and move on. It's time our football program learns from it and moves on.

Yes if you do something stupid, you open yourself to being caught for something and being prosecuted and reprimanded for such actions. However, everyone and I mean everyone is involved in stupid things. It is in our Human nature to make mistakes and to learn from them. He has put everything on hold and was told he would be welcomed back. It is unfair, because this new title IX person had to of known there was nothing Avery could do to get back on campus and should have told him that from the get go and not give him the run around.

What you may not be able to get in your thick skull, that people need to be treated with respect and appropriately, despite their shortcomings. Just because you get a speeding ticket (or several) despite the inherent "risk" speeders create on the public roads, doesn't validate an action to remove your ability to drive indefinitely. Leading Avery to believe he even had the slightest chance to come back when he didn't.... back in the summer (missing fall semester) then being untimely in the decision prior to this semester (was told decision would be made prior to christmas break) so he couldn't enroll anywhere else is completely inconsiderate and unprofessional (especially as a representative of the state and education in general). Just because Avery flashed his junk, doesn't validate the apathy and incompetency within how his case was managed.

I'm not upset because he is a football player, I'm upset because our administration treats people like "poop."

Boo Hoo.

He seemed like a nice, but troubled young man. It's unfortunate what he did to his victim in Lincoln, but it was also unfortunate when Baldwin was shot in the back by a female police officer, and was eventually paralyzed from the waist down

.Absolutely this. I don't "blame" Scott Baldwin for his episodes. What I am saying is that NU and Scott needed to forget about football and his NFL career and focus on getting him on an even keel long term, because some things are more important than playing Nebraska (or NFL) football.
Not trying to disagree with your original post. I was just trying to put a personal experience and knowledge to the situation. I think the doctors were trying to work with Scott so he could some how get back in school, and not worry about football

Getting back to Moss, he did something really, really stupid. Showing your crank to a girl is something the University needed to take seriously. It's too bad he wasted a year trying to get back into UNL, but it wasn't a guarantee. It's unfortunate now that this is another "us against them" obstacle that Riley will have to overcome with members of the team.

I think some here are bending over backwards to minimize what Moss did. Others seem predisposed to be upset with the administration. And still more seem to completely miss the liability the universoty could face if they readmit him and he does something like this again...or even something worse.

Moss has a real problem. Normal people don't whip their junk out in public and expose themselves to people. If he's received some treatment and won't do it again, then good for him. But the university can hardly be blamed for not wanting to assume the risk that he'll keep his pants on. Their liability if they readmit him and then this happens again could be significant.

• Fire 4

What DOES happen if they let him back, and does something - anything - again?

My line of thinking here is, then why string this young man out for a year? You either boot him for good, or you give him parameters by which to work his way back and then let him back on after he has shown that he can learn and grow. You don't waste a year of a 20-yr old's life with false hope if you already think that he's not worth the trouble.

I fully agree that what he did was really, really wrong, but this was not the way to handle the situation. Now he has to figure out how to move on after he spent a year just trying to make amends for a mistake, when he could have already moved on. And I really hope nobody thinks I'm minimizing his crime or anything; I just think that the "justice" should be clear and swift and timely, especially when talking about someone in the position of a 20-yr-old student athlete who doesn't have a full year of his life to just burn waiting on a situation strung out by false hope.

If they knew they couldn't bring him back, then tell him, and let both sides move on.

• Fire 3

What DOES happen if they let him back, and does something - anything - again?

Bad PR, a federal lawsuit, and a potential loss of federal funds. Those are the obvious consequences. And if you have federal investigators and lawyers prowling the campus digging up dirt, who knows what else they turn up. With the current climate, I can completely understand why they apparently decided it's just too big of a risk.

The players should be lauded for their loyalty to a teammate. But let's be honest. They're 18 to 22 year old guys with no understanding of or appreciation for the risk the University would be assuming by allowing Moss to return and hoping for the best.