Avery Moss - updates - 1/9 **readmission denied**

C N Red

Thats where im at. I signed the petition. Im a for the punishment for what he did. But to string him along and for him to do what he did with the understanding he had a high chance and was dumped, they shoulda just dumped him for good from the get go. I just see that as a society, we give far worse people multiple chances. Why not this guy thats done everything he can to prove hes deserving of it. I think we should see what the guy is made of. Just my opinion. And if its so, god help me if he makes a fool og folks that share my opinion.

One other thought. It doesn't sound like any hard and fast promises were made to Moss. Instead he was advised to keep his nose clean, given some general guidelines to abide by, and told his case would be reevaluated in a year. In the meantime, you have the Winston saga at Florida State, similar issues at Oregon, and a climate turning quickly against universities that don't protect their students from their athletes. So it's unsurprising that when the time came to reevaluate whether Moss should be readmitted, there was no way the university would allow it. That's the exact same call I probably would have made if the decision had been up to me.

• Fire 1

What DOES happen if they let him back, and does something - anything - again?

Bad PR, a federal lawsuit, and a potential loss of federal funds. Those are the obvious consequences. And if you have federal investigators and lawyers prowling the campus digging up dirt, who knows what else they turn up. With the current climate, I can completely understand why they apparently decided it's just too big of a risk.

The players should be lauded for their loyalty to a teammate. But let's be honest. They're 18 to 22 year old guys with no understanding of or appreciation for the risk the University would be assuming by allowing Moss to return and hoping for the best.

Absolutely. And the risk isn't worth that.

My line of thinking here is, then why string this young man out for a year? You either boot him for good, or you give him parameters by which to work his way back and then let him back on after he has shown that he can learn and grow. You don't waste a year of a 20-yr old's life with false hope if you already think that he's not worth the trouble.

I fully agree that what he did was really, really wrong, but this was not the way to handle the situation. Now he has to figure out how to move on after he spent a year just trying to make amends for a mistake, when he could have already moved on. And I really hope nobody thinks I'm minimizing his crime or anything; I just think that the "justice" should be clear and swift and timely, especially when talking about someone in the position of a 20-yr-old student athlete who doesn't have a full year of his life to just burn waiting on a situation strung out by false hope.

If they knew they couldn't bring him back, then tell him, and let both sides move on.

I don't disagree with this. I think the dynamic changed both when Bo was fired and when the Title IX lady retired. I forget exactly when Arturo took over, but it was prior to Bo's ouster. With Bo gone, that was probably the final nail in the coffin.

It sucks for Moss. But I don't think UNL was sitting on their thumbs for a year being negligent somehow. I think at the end of that year, things changed.

• Fire 1

I like how this board, and many of the ones here defending Avery and blaming the University, wastes no time taking great pleasure in taking the moral high road against schools like say, Florida st.

More than winning indeed.

To which I'll repeat that this board is not one homogeneous hive mind, all condemning Florida State and all defending Moss. If there are examples of specific people who have done what you're describing then by all means have at them in the Woodshed. But painting the entire board with a big straw brush doesn't do anything for this conversation.

• Fire 1

I like how this board, and many of the ones here defending Avery and blaming the University, wastes no time taking great pleasure in taking the moral high road against schools like say, Florida st.

More than winning indeed.

Ya, b/c they are so close to being the same thing. Your lines are pretty wide i guess. Im guessing you dont spend much time outside your house, work, or away from a keyboard.

I was for Winston during the whole deal, but when his room mates refused to testify in the hearing, I lost all respect for him, the program and Jimbo. Sad that winning is that important to some.

The guy admitted to doing it, twice I guess, my question to you guys is, if you owned a company that employed women, would you hire him? It is pretty much the same. He represents the company/university, highly paid, and a history of sexual exploits in public. It would open you up to the chance of law suits, real or not.

He decided to hang around (maybe the wrong word here), I guess we know he has a history of that, but you have to look at what could happen. Nebraska does not need the added publicity of housing sex offenders. Whether he is or not, that would be the call by the media, few would say it was giving a second chance.

I think the program is better off with out him, but some see him as important to the football team, so he gets a pass, that they would not give on their own.

I would have told him he was done, I would not hire him for any reason.

I was for Winston during the whole deal, but when his room mates refused to testify in the hearing, I lost all respect for him, the program and Jimbo. Sad that winning is that important to some.

The guy admitted to doing it, twice I guess, my question to you guys is, if you owned a company that employed women, would you hire him? It is pretty much the same. He represents the company/university, highly paid, and a history of sexual exploits in public. It would open you up to the chance of law suits, real or not.

He decided to hang around (maybe the wrong word here), I guess we know he has a history of that, but you have to look at what could happen. Nebraska does not need the added publicity of housing sex offenders. Whether he is or not, that would be the call by the media, few would say it was giving a second chance.

I think the program is better off with out him, but some see him as important to the football team, so he gets a pass, that they would not give on their own.

It's sad that this is even up for debate. This piece of sh#t should be locked up already.

It's sad that this is even up for debate. This piece of sh#t should be locked up already.

Are you referring to Moss as a p.o.s.?

did they string him along?

or could he not appeal until a year was up? and the appeal was swiftly denied within 5 business days?

To me, this is where the University is culpable.

Regardless of the ultimate decision, they didn't have to wait until 3 days before 2nd semester to cut him lose.

Judging from Avery's public comments on this final decision, he has been more mature than Donu concerning the endgame of this process.

Let it hit closer to home - would any one here be comfortable having their daughter, sister, niece or even grand-daughter hanging around someone with a history like Moss? I sure as heck would not, and I'd severely question the University for why they would allow someone like that on campus. Sometimes things are about more than football.

But some are questioning the UNL process - the University CANNOT just at a random time deny Avery the chance for re-admission. This suspension came with a timeline, which included an appeals process. The University cannot suddenly in June, even if they knew for a 100% fact Avery had no chance at getting back in, just decide Avery's case. This isn't about University policy, but about a Title IX case which is where the University has to abide by and watch federal laws.

Avery is a big boy, who had a lawyer that advised him throughout this entire process. If Avery, nor the lawyer, could look at Avery's history at this University, and before he even arrived in Lincoln, and not be able to see it was a giant uphill battle for him to get reinstated, then I don't know what to say.

• Fire 4