OWH: Bo Pelini insults A.D. Shawn Eichorst in expletive-filled rant during final meeting with players

zoogs

Wanting a change at the top for widespread athletic dept dysfunction when only one coach was dysfunctional is absolutely hilarious.

So, you've been sleeping for a decade. I see.
Or you're blind to the present
So, there were no problems in the athletic department whatsoever until Bo was hired?
Harvey Perlman isn't in charge of the athletic dept. That's why there's been four athletic directors since 2002. I'd say at this point it's as unified and solid as it's ever been right now. Especially since the pariah has been sent to lower Ohio.
Harvey is in charge of who was leading the AD, no? He signed off on Steve, Bill, Tom, and Bo, no?

And yeah, the department is unified now, just like it was in 2008 and 2004.

My hope, is that Riley hits it out of the park, and everyone can move on. We'll see how it goes.

The dept was far from unified in those years.

And, you're out of order. It was Byrne (who made some reprehensible athletic decisions but was blocked by TO because he wanted to hire Stoops and TO insisted on Solich), then Pedersen (Osborne approved), the TO (overall pretty good) and now Eichorst.

Pray tell.

Byrne was here before Harvey. Steve was his first hire.

when criticizing perlman, it seems like it is hard not to go back to athletics. and the point is that you should not do that.

but, what? was hiring pederson so bad? it certainly made sense at the time. didn't tom even bless it? and it did not work out. that happens. just like it happened with bo. just because it makes sense at the time does not mean it is infallible.

but, what legitimate gripes with perlman are there? and if they are athletics related, does he not deserve credit for the shape they are in now?

Full disclosure: Outside of the AAU thing, I'll admit I don't know as much on the academic side. I've heard bits and pieces from boosters down here (they don't like him), but I don't have enough info to expand.

I've already stated my opinion on his Athletic department. IMO, he also didn't do the best job in the B1G move, considering that other schools got full shares of revenue up front, and Nebraska did not.

If the same lens of scrutiny was applied to Bo Pelini, this thread would be half as many pages long.

• Fire 1

My understanding it is a private conversation to his former players at an off campus meeting... My understanding non team required... So private meeting at a private site...

The guy got fired letting off steam. I think most people see it for what it is.

So let's call it for what it is. In his farewell speech, Bo attempted to turn his entire team against the administration and athletic department.

He led a chorus of sniggers as he called his boss, the NU athletic director, every name in the book. (Real cowardice, by the way)

He told players that this place is a (redacted), in part because of "a lot of the former players", among just about everything else.

After all the talk about what a miserable place it was, he suggested Nebraska players take a long hard look at if they'll be happy here and to transfer if they won't.

All of this is beyond horrifying. And plainly it was not the first time he's talked about this, or like this, to his team. That's the man the University of Nebraska employed for seven years to lead a group of over a hundred of its student-athletes, and to represent UNL in the homes of countless high school students around the country.

There's a lot of good things about Bo, too, but there's no getting around that this is who he is, and this is how he's treated this place and the charge he was given. I wish it weren't the case, but it is, and Bo alone is responsible for who he is.

To me it seemed like someone offering advice to someone he cared about, instead of staying loyal to a company that no longer employed him. It's the same advice (I hope) you would give a friend or family member. If you're doing something that (most) people will only be able to do for 4-5 years I hope you do it in a way that makes YOU happy and leaves you with no regrets. If staying here and doing it makes you the most happy, do it here. If you need to go somewhere else to find that happiness, then go there my friend. And if you do stay here, hey, give the next guy a fair shake because it's gonna be tough on them, too.

That's just good advice. It's not inciting anger and hoping to inspire people to ditch NU. I think a lot of people are reading in between the lines to see and hear what they want to see and hear. Sometimes an apple is just an apple. Sometimes when someone says, "I love you guys like my own kids" he means it. He's not trying to manipulate them.

Matthew Hanson from the OWH with some great observations, via twitter.

Matthew Hansen @redcloud_scribe

There are reasons to criticize Harvey Perlman & UNL. There are reasons to praise him. Virtually none of it has anything to do with football.

A plea: Quit looking through lens of football to judge leaders of Nebraska public universities. It makes you look silly and it makes me sad.

A fitting final chapter to Pelini Era. Bo raging to his players, calling boss obscene names, talking about values. http://www.omaha.com/huskers/bo-pelini-insults-a-d-shawn-eichorst-in-expletive-filled/article_b202b14a-8633-11e4-8c91-f3f5386da4f8.html …

Here's a value: Modeling the behavior you want to see in 18-22-yr-olds as they become adults. Here's a value: Handling adversity with class.

Here's a value: Being able to look in mirror & accept at least some of the blame when things go bad. Here's a value: Don't use the c word.

A million times, this.

+1,000,000

My understanding it is a private conversation to his former players at an off campus meeting... My understanding non team required... So private meeting at a private site...

The guy got fired letting off steam. I think most people see it for what it is.

So let's call it for what it is. In his farewell speech, Bo attempted to turn his entire team against the administration and athletic department.

He led a chorus of sniggers as he called his boss, the NU athletic director, every name in the book. (Real cowardice, by the way)

He told players that this place is a (redacted), in part because of "a lot of the former players", among just about everything else.After all the talk about what a miserable place it was, he suggested Nebraska players take a long hard look at if they'll be happy here and to transfer if they won't.

All of this is beyond horrifying. And plainly it was not the first time he's talked about this, or like this, to his team. That's the man the University of Nebraska employed for seven years to lead a group of over a hundred of its student-athletes, and to represent UNL in the homes of countless high school students around the country.

There's a lot of good things about Bo, too, but there's no getting around that this is who he is, and this is how he's treated this place and the charge he was given. I wish it weren't the case, but it is, and Bo alone is responsible for who he is.

To me it seemed like someone offering advice to someone he cared about, instead of staying loyal to a company that no longer employed him. It's the same advice (I hope) you would give a friend or family member. If you're doing something that (most) people will only be able to do for 4-5 years I hope you do it in a way that makes YOU happy and leaves you with no regrets. If staying here and doing it makes you the most happy, do it here. If you need to go somewhere else to find that happiness, then go there my friend. And if you do stay here, hey, give the next guy a fair shake because it's gonna be tough on them, too.

That's just good advice. It's not inciting anger and hoping to inspire people to ditch NU. I think a lot of people are reading in between the lines to see and hear what they want to see and hear. Sometimes an apple is just an apple. Sometimes when someone says, "I love you guys like my own kids" he means it. He's not trying to manipulate them.

The only thing that had changed about Nebraska was that he was no longer there. So, he's assuming the absence of him makes Nebraska an outright miserable place for some.

And, his first words were about how HE got screwed. So, no.

when criticizing perlman, it seems like it is hard not to go back to athletics. and the point is that you should not do that.

but, what? was hiring pederson so bad? it certainly made sense at the time. didn't tom even bless it? and it did not work out. that happens. just like it happened with bo. just because it makes sense at the time does not mean it is infallible.

but, what legitimate gripes with perlman are there? and if they are athletics related, does he not deserve credit for the shape they are in now?

Full disclosure: Outside of the AAU thing, I'll admit I don't know as much on the academic side. I've heard bits and pieces from boosters down here (they don't like him), but I don't have enough info to expand.

I've already stated my opinion on his Athletic department. IMO, he also didn't do the best job in the B1G move, considering that other schools got full shares of revenue up front, and Nebraska did not.

If the same lens of scrutiny was applied to Bo Pelini, this thread would be half as many pages long.

I think we've documented his failures and screwups quite a bit. I just wanted to change it up a bit!

• Fire 1

Then you probably shouldn't comment on it.

The point about the B1G move is false.

By 2020-21, all 14 schools will receive equal shares from the Big Ten. Maryland and Rutgers – similar to Nebraska – will have a six-year financial integration plan.

http://www.jconline.com/story/mike-carmin/2014/04/27/btn-profit-shares-boost-big-ten-revenue/8333073/

Maryland received a front-loaded deal to help with the ACC buyout. But they don't get a full share until 6 years in the league.

• Fire 1

Then you probably shouldn't comment on it.

The point about the B1G move is false.

By 2020-21, all 14 schools will receive equal shares from the Big Ten. Maryland and Rutgers – similar to Nebraska – will have a six-year financial integration plan.

http://www.jconline.com/story/mike-carmin/2014/04/27/btn-profit-shares-boost-big-ten-revenue/8333073/

Maryland received a front-loaded deal to help with the ACC buyout. But they don't get a full share until 6 years in the league.

That doesn't keep you from commenting on football.

#boomroasted.

Edit: FTR, my info was from before the Maryland suit was settled. http://www.cornnation.com/2014/2/9/5395682/nebraska-not-reaping-financial-windfall-from-big-ten-move-yet

There are reasons to criticize Harvey Perlman & UNL. There are reasons to praise him. Virtually none of it has anything to do with football.

A plea: Quit looking through lens of football to judge leaders of Nebraska public universities. It makes you look silly and it makes me sad.

A fitting final chapter to Pelini Era. Bo raging to his players, calling boss obscene names, talking about values. http://www.omaha.com/huskers/bo-pelini-insults-a-d-shawn-eichorst-in-expletive-filled/article_b202b14a-8633-11e4-8c91-f3f5386da4f8.html

Here's a value: Modeling the behavior you want to see in 18-22-yr-olds as they become adults. Here's a value: Handling adversity with class.

Here's a value: Being able to look in mirror & accept at least some of the blame when things go bad. Here's a value: Don't use the c word.

A million times, this.

+1,000,000

Football is a gigantic revenue source that funds countless academic activities. Perlman absolutely should be judged on how he manages the football program.

Really? Show me a single academic activity that football provides money to. Just one link will suffice.

I acknowledged I was wrong.

So now that you know the facts you support Eichorst and his decisions?

Not to hire MR, still disagree with that.

And I have never once said Bo should have not been let go. Just that I think there is a lot of truth in his speech.

Yeah, I often believe the raging lunatics that preach doomsday on college campuses, too.

• Fire 1

I also disagree that this "speech" was a slanderous rip job of the University. Bo called out TWO individuals that he didn't like and tore them apart. He never said anything negative about the school. And in my opinion trashing a school's AD doesn't equate to trashing a school. Everyone who's saying how he is attacking NU is off the mark, in my opinion.

guessing you didn't read the full transcript?

Its a culmination of the negativity. I understand, you guys are human. That is why I talked to you guys constantly. Last game you guys just said f#*k it lets play and you at least played free. That is my advice to you guys that come back. You can't let this place eat you up, because if you let it, it will eat you up. I have been LSU, I have been at Oklahoma, I been to these other places...the scrutiny, it ain't like that everywhere.

You gotta fight that fellas, you gotta just go play and enjoy this thing because at the end of the day, its not a job. It oughta be the best time of your life. Any of you guys have on your mind do I want to go or stay? At the end of the day you gotta sit there and think this is how many years I got left, these gotta be the best of my life. If you don't think this is the best place then you shouldn't stay.

A fitting final chapter to Pelini Era. Bo raging to his players, calling boss obscene names, talking about values. http://www.omaha.com/huskers/bo-pelini-insults-a-d-shawn-eichorst-in-expletive-filled/article_b202b14a-8633-11e4-8c91-f3f5386da4f8.html

A million times, this.

+1,000,000

Football is a gigantic revenue source that funds countless academic activities. Perlman absolutely should be judged on how he manages the football program.

Really? Show me a single academic activity that football provides money to. Just one link will suffice.

From a non monetary perspective, it's an invaluable brand that advertises the university across the country and attracts students.

A million times, this.

+1,000,000

From a non monetary perspective, it's an invaluable brand that advertises the university across the country and attracts students.

This is absolutely true. But football does not fund any academic activities directly.

Matthew Hansen @redcloud_scribe A plea: Quit looking through lens of football to judge leaders of Nebraska public universities. It makes you look silly and it makes me sad.

A million times, this.

+1,000,000

That means he can't, because the dept and the University are separate.