Bowl Game "What if"

Was listening to UnSportsmanlikeConduct on 1620 this evening on my way to the gym. They were talking about how many of Bo's coaches are still coaching the young men on our team. They were expressing concern that it gives those coaches more opportunity to poison the waters.

One called said he felt that many of the other coaches probably didn't fully buy into Pelini's "way" and just did their best to abide, hoping for a chance to move up some day at another school.

I believe that Bo and Kaz were the only coaches at the players meeting, but I'm not 100% certain. Anyway, it got me to thinking....

What if Barney, Beck and the rest of those still on staff truly didn't really appreciate being Bo's yes men.

What if, now that they get to call all the shots and run the O and D as they see fit, the team comes out and just blows the doors off USC in the bowl game?

I know it's a very big if, but man wouldn't that lend a lot of justification to the firing? I'd have a ton of crow to eat, because I've been a Bo-liever from day one until about 6 hours ago.

• Fire 1

If Beck's O beats the wheels off of USC, I'll be the first to apologize. I hope we do. Not to vindicate Beck, but to go out on a positive note.

I agree with this. Beck couldn't say no to $700K, but I bet he wants to distance himself as much as possible. I have a hard time believing anyone buy Paps wants to have anything to with Bo.

I don't think it's going to be an issue.

Most of these coaches are essentially giving job interviews with this bowl game.

After new info has come to light it wouldn't surprise me if a few (Beck) would like to use this bowl game to try and put some distance between them and Bo.

Going to be interesting.

I'd have a ton of crow to eat, because I've been a Bo-liever from day one until about 6 hours ago.

I feel the exact same way.

Does anyone know what we're up against in playing USC? Do we have a chance? I read:

Trojans finished the regular season 8-4 overall and 6-4 in the Pac 12

Cornhuskers are 9-3 overall and 5-3 in the B1G.

Huskers haven't played them since 2007 (We lost 49-31)

http://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/uscnow/la-sp-usc-football-morning-report-20141216-story.html

Anyone else have any other information on them?

That's a lot of 'what if's'.

The interim staff should have a high incentive to win this game no matter their loyalties or dislikes.

But I think it is easy to find the answer to your question by simply holding each of the assistants to their words. For those that have been interviewed since, their flag flies with the Fightin' Pelini's, not the University of Nebraska Cornhuskers. From Barney's four-point message (telling players to "honor Bo with your loyalty and love and support"), to Beck's interview (explaining how TERRIBLY difficult it is to do what he is asked to do in a place like Lincoln), to all the rumors about Beck's and Kaz's separate outbursts over the past few weeks.

Bo's staff was largely Bo's guys, guys that owed Bo for their existence at this level (with the exceptions of RB and CW).

I hope for a win for the players and the program but, right or wrong, I feel like the sooner the whole lot of Bo's guys can clean out their offices, the better.

I was talking to a friend tonight and he said he is acquainted with a guy who's son is a walkon D back. The kid told his dad that in a team position meeting this year Coach Warren brought up an idea to change how the back four do coverage so as to help more with run support. The kid said Bo went into a rant and disparaged Coach Warren and told him not to be wasting their time with stupid ideas. If this is true I think there might have been a few coaches just collecting a paycheck each week and had little real loyalty to BP.