On Bo Pelini's values: What he says vs. what he does

knapplc

Bo is a man in his late forties who hasn't learned things about life and careers that most successful people get by their early twenties.

I'd say it's a good thing he's set for life, but part of me really doubts that he is.

Very good article.

Has Bo ever been a part of "failure" ?

It's a conversation I've heard in regards to his behavior here in the face of obvious possible failure the last few years. His career as a coach is nothing but successful processes. Super Bowl titles and Divisison titles in the NFL. National title game appearences and wins as a college coordinator. Hell, looking back at the time, I wouldnt even call his one year stint as coordinator here as failure.

Guys like Mike Riley have been around long enough and seen through all the ups and downs as a head coach, coordinator, postion coach, water boy, cracker jax vendor, etc in all levels of football.

I am unfamiliar with Matthew Hansen of the OWH, but he nailed a few things in an analysis of the team meeting.

Me, too, but this was beautifully written. Well worthy of sharing!

Has Bo ever been a part of "failure" ?

It's a conversation I've heard in regards to his behavior here in the face of obvious possible failure the last few years. His career as a coach is nothing but successful processes. Super Bowl titles and Divisison titles in the NFL. National title game appearences and wins as a college coordinator. Hell, looking back at the time, I wouldnt even call his one year stint as coordinator here as failure.

Guys like Mike Riley have been around long enough and seen through all the ups and downs as a head coach, coordinator, postion coach, water boy, cracker jax vendor, etc in all levels of football.

There was a great article from Chatelain a while ago that talked about this. It was full of quotes from Miles, and talked about how Miles and Riley both maybe benefitted from the lessons of failure. And Bo's unending string of success maybe was a disservice to him when he finally faced adversity. An interesting thought.

I'm a believer that football teams are an extension of their head coach, and now, more than ever, it's obvious to me this team really fit this description.

Bo was fiercely loyal to the people he really cared about - this team was fiercely loyal to Bo, and took the 'us-against-the-world mentality' to an extreme.

Bo's temper could flip like a switch - this team would often lose it's composure/lack execution, especially in big moments.

A buddy of mine I follow on Twitter, who now works in sports in Houston, had a great tweet this morning. He said, under Bo Pelini, Nebraska became the TMZ of college football. I agree, to an extent. This program was full of too much drama, too much division and too much angst towards the fans and other supporters. And, it appears Bo helped foster that in many ways.

I think every team needs to have the 'us-against-the-world' mentality to a degree, but, not to the extent Pelini took this. It's just disappointing all around.

• Fire 2

I have been in this situation before where I was part of a group and the leader of that group slowly started convincing everyone that they are right and the rest of the world is just out to get him. It is a group mentality that is very powerful.

At some point with most people, it gets so absurd that the light goes off in their head and they realize reality. But, before that happens, it can be pretty destructive.

This man is very good at what he does. He has crafted his art over many years.

Hmmm...start working with kids right out of HS. He is in a powerful position over them. He "takes care of them". When anyone from the outside criticizes anything in the "group" it is always the outside person's fault. If anyone from the inside dares not to tote the company line, they are OUT.

Meanwhile, we have student athletes being decently taken care of but they aren't making millions of dollars like he is. They aren't living in a huge mansion like he is. They aren't getting to vacation all over the world due to their huge salaries like he is. But, when he is fired finally from his position (and given yet another 7.5 million to walk away) once again it is all about him and how he is being wronged and how they need to feel sorry for him and support him.

It really is a very sick situation and if I were Tressell, I would seriously be considering ripping up the contract they just signed.

• Fire 5

"Loyalty. Accountability. Physical Tough Football."

"It's gameday at Nebraska. Time to get after it"

Accountability??? Really! Had to get that one in there huh.

Accountability? Who f#*k is that guy?

But serious. You do know what I'm referring to with that post, yes?

Accountability used to be this super cool poster. You remind me a little bit of him except you cut your wiener off and currently it's being used as an apostrophe.

"Loyalty. Accountability. Physical Tough Football."

"It's gameday at Nebraska. Time to get after it"

Accountability??? Really! Had to get that one in there huh.
Accountability? Who f#*k is that guy?

But serious. You do know what I'm referring to with that post, yes?

Accountability used to be this super cool poster. You remind me a little bit of him except you cut your wiener off and currently it's being used as an apostrophe.

ItWasMee.gif

• Fire 1
  • 1 month later...

This seems like an appropriate thread for this.

A guy I know went to a recruiting banquet a couple days ago, meet some of the new coaches, and talked to some department insiders. One of these insiders worked very closely with Pelini and had some unflattering things to say about him. Said that Bo had his favorite players and coaches and everyone else was treated like sh#t. Said it was pretty widely known that Bo would rather lose, doing it his way with his people, than to accept help or ideas from others. Apparently the coaching staff had addressed the problem of what Wisconsin was doing to us but Bo would not implement any of their possible solutions. Said the issues was brought up to him when things started going south once again and he flat out refused to let them change anything.

This is all I've gotten so far but this guy said there were many more unbelievable stories and that we are extremely lucky he is no longer here. I realize this may not seem like earth shattering news at this point but it sure does help put a few things in perspective and sheds light on why adjustments weren't made against all common sense.

• Fire 2

This seems like an appropriate thread for this.

A guy I know went to a recruiting banquet a couple days ago, meet some of the new coaches, and talked to some department insiders. One of these insiders worked very closely with Pelini and had some unflattering things to say about him. Said that Bo had his favorite players and coaches and everyone else was treated like sh#t. Said it was pretty widely known that Bo would rather lose, doing it his way with his people, than to accept help or ideas from others. Apparently the coaching staff had addressed the problem of what Wisconsin was doing to us but Bo would not implement any of their possible solutions. Said the issues was brought up to him when things started going south once again and he flat out refused to let them change anything.

This is all I've gotten so far but this guy said there were many more unbelievable stories and that we are extremely lucky he is no longer here. I realize this may not seem like earth shattering news at this point but it sure does help put a few things in perspective and sheds light on why adjustments weren't made against all common sense.

I know a couple of people in the Athletic Department who have told me similar things about Pelini. He was a complete jackass to most people he encountered and an absolute nightmare to work with. We're very lucky to be rid of him and luckier still to have replaced him with a man like Mike Riley.

• Fire 2

I hadn't read the transcript or listened to the recording until just now. When I previously heard that he "ranted" about the administration and various other things, I assumed that I'd hear the screaming and yelling of an angry coach. I was shocked to hear him deliver this with such a calm demeanor. I would almost feel better if he were yelling during his rant, because part of that could be chalked up to the emotions behind the words. Instead, to me he comes off like a total psychopath, completely calm and intent on portraying himself as a martyr to these 18-22 year old kids who look up to him. I understand us against the world, but he took no responsibility for what happened to lead to the move being made, and did his best to turn the players further against the university, the administration, the press, the fans, etc.

This just shows me that the right move was made in moving on and hiring the anti-Bo to take over the program. I can't wait to see what this team does in a positive, nurturing environment with coaches who will develop all of them, not just the favored few. This fan base that is supposedly so difficult wants nothing more than to support the young men who go out every day and work their tails off to improve and win football games, but more importantly to represent what it really means to be a Husker.

I wonder if the vest is second guessing his decision to bring Bo on board at this point. Regardless, I'm not sure how another D1 program can look to this guy in the future as someone they want to lead their student athletes. Not only did Bo burn any bridges that he had with Nebraska, but I think that he has no idea how many others he burned too.

• Fire 2