The Reason the Huskers are Still Relevant

Zaimejs

I agree you run into Big Red fans all over the U.S. Great fan base!!! I do disagree with all the positive sunshine. It's too bad you've all put your faith in a lawyer who is the A.D. Coach Riley is a nice man. You can believe all you want, but I've watched his beavers play for several years. Lot's of penalties, breakdown in defense. This years squad had 9 seniors returning on defense. Take a look at where they finished on a national level on defense. Pathetic!!! Banker isn't the solution. I will give the Husker fan base props for always believing the future glory days are coming back. i just don't see it happening with a long term

Career coach with a winning record just above the .500 mark. Save your remarks about how you can't recruit at Oregon state....blah blah. Explain that concept to the Chargers. The new Oregon State coach will win at OSU. Just stop getting your hopes all up about turning the progr around. We just fired a coach with 7 seasons of 9 wins and a high graduation rate. Good coaches win period.!!'nn

No matter what happens in the future its hard to argue that every coach on the new staff isn't better than the same position on the old staff. Banker may not be the answer... Pap (I mean Bo) wasn't anything great. Pap was basically a wasted coaching position because Bo overruled anything he said. Bo didn't have his hand in the O as much but as we know he liked to force play calls (like the pass on 2nd and 1 vs Minn) or dictate starters (Taylor, M Pelini, et al).

Let's give Riley a chance... he already has more wins vs. top 10 opponents than NU does in this millenium. But save your remarks about how you can't recruit at Nebraska... blah blah.

Really, that's hard to argue? You know nothing about how these new coaches will perform. Won't you be ripping into them if we lose to BYU?

Tell me where I'm wrong.

Riley vs Bo

Banker vs Pap/Bo

Bray vs Els

Warren vs Warren (plus a year experience and no micromanagement. )

Cavanaugh vs Garrison or Barney (with Bo meddling with starters)

Read vs Els (special teams)

It seems that Riley's staff is both more experienced and organized better than Bo's was.

From what I have seen the only place we won't be better is at RB coach. But that's thr least important position (RBs either have talent or they don't for the most part) on the staff and should be a great recruiter. Brown didn't put as much into recruiting as he used to.

All that being said coaching improvements alone may not have measurable results. If we lose to BYU then I will place blame where it is deserved.

Brown has never been a good recruiter as he doesn't believe in putting in those kind of hours. Each coach deserves six years before they are judged on thier results. The first four they have to deal with what was left by the previous coaching staff, which may be good (Tom for Frank) or bad (Frank for Bill). Two years after the previous coaches last recruiting class should give you a good idea of what that staff will bring you in the future.

first four years you are going to give the new guys a pass altogether?.........wow, seems after 2 or 3 you should see some real improvement, as half the guys playing will be recruited and coached up by the new coaches........4-6 years the pattern is set...without a doubt, but things should show steady improvement way before then....i want to see that steady improvement in the first 4 years, old recruits or not!

and seeing that the bad coaches consistently won 9 or more games a year, the new improved coaching staff should at least match that number the first two or three years and after that need to win the BIG and play in the national championship playoff- I'd say that is the minimum expectation

Seriously. That's you're problem. He's gone man.

U get the pics Polo?

Kids have to get used to the coaches, staff has to decide what to do with the talent they have and figure out the best line of approach. I am not expecting anything earth shattering here.

I do not know what BYU loses this year, pretty good team. We should be close to or better than this year I think. But normally there are bumps when a change is made. I can deal with that.

I did, just been traveling.

But I would be surprised, shocked even if NU lost to BYU. They may have Hill back but talent wise, Nebraska is better.

Everyone demanding that NU wins 11 because they're butthurt about the change is about to find out how easy it is win 9 with NUs schedule of late.

Don't include me in on the calculation, I never said 11!

I agree you run into Big Red fans all over the U.S. Great fan base!!! I do disagree with all the positive sunshine. It's too bad you've all put your faith in a lawyer who is the A.D. Coach Riley is a nice man. You can believe all you want, but I've watched his beavers play for several years. Lot's of penalties, breakdown in defense. This years squad had 9 seniors returning on defense. Take a look at where they finished on a national level on defense. Pathetic!!! Banker isn't the solution. I will give the Husker fan base props for always believing the future glory days are coming back. i just don't see it happening with a long term

Career coach with a winning record just above the .500 mark. Save your remarks about how you can't recruit at Oregon state....blah blah. Explain that concept to the Chargers. The new Oregon State coach will win at OSU. Just stop getting your hopes all up about turning the progr around. We just fired a coach with 7 seasons of 9 wins and a high graduation rate. Good coaches win period.!!'nn

I am holding my opinion until the rest of the staff is named. If MR hires top coordinators, then NU can win. Banker worries me too. I hope he is not DC.

Tell me where I'm wrong.

Riley vs Bo

Banker vs Pap/Bo

Bray vs Els

9-3 vs. 5-7 should be factored into the equation somewhere, don't you think?...

No matter what happens in the future its hard to argue that every coach on the new staff isn't better than the same position on the old staff. Banker may not be the answer... Pap (I mean Bo) wasn't anything great. Pap was basically a wasted coaching position because Bo overruled anything he said. Bo didn't have his hand in the O as much but as we know he liked to force play calls (like the pass on 2nd and 1 vs Minn) or dictate starters (Taylor, M Pelini, et al).

Let's give Riley a chance... he already has more wins vs. top 10 opponents than NU does in this millenium. But save your remarks about how you can't recruit at Nebraska... blah blah.

Really, that's hard to argue? You know nothing about how these new coaches will perform. Won't you be ripping into them if we lose to BYU?

Tell me where I'm wrong.

Riley vs Bo

Banker vs Pap/Bo

Bray vs Els

It seems that Riley's staff is both more experienced and organized better than Bo's was.

From what I have seen the only place we won't be better is at RB coach. But that's thr least important position (RBs either have talent or they don't for the most part) on the staff and should be a great recruiter. Brown didn't put as much into recruiting as he used to.

All that being said coaching improvements alone may not have measurable results. If we lose to BYU then I will place blame where it is deserved.

I wouldn't tell you you're wrong, just that there's no comparison except years of experience. Experience at what, winning about 6 games? Just have to see how it plays out next season. We'll see right away if there was mismanagement of talent by Bo's staff and whether promises of development and recruiting are bs. I personally think we've made it much tougher to recruit by moving to the Big Ten, for a variety of reasons.
agree, moving from the 12 to the 10 didn't help recruiting at all.
yet Bos best classes came in the Big Ten. Ohio st is consistently top 5. Michigan under Hoke was consistentky top10 until he was on the hot seat. Franklin at Penn St. This is an overblown concept.
I don't know about Bo's best classes but I find it ironic that you point to three Texas-like programs where the coach just has to step outside and whistle for 20 top recruits to come a runnin' as a sign that it's better for us. All those programs have to do is hire a decent coach and anyone we're recruiting in their territory would drop us like a lit sack of crap on the porch. Also the trend is for players to want to play where it's warm and in front of their peeps....can't say that I blame them. I really think the Big Ten would do better with indoor and winter sports;......Sumo Wrestling for the big guys and Short Track Speed Skating for the little guys. It might look like 'Cool Runnings' at first but I think we'd see many records broken once it catches on.
i dont care. Cant recruit to Nebraska is garbage. Its a lame ass excuse. Jeebus Krreist. Look what Tim Miles has done with on of the most irrelevant P5 programs in the history of the game. Saying that recruiting to Nebraska is "this hard" is a chicken sh#t copout. Always has been.

Basketball is an inside sport that can be turned around with a few players, can't even come close to saying that about football. And while we're on the subject, not many pitchers want to throw out their arm in the frigid march northern league weather either.....we should probably drop baseball for a new curling league.

We will be relevant when other fans feel we are, not when Nebraska fan feels we are.

Most fans think we did the right thing by firing the past coach, but thought we did it three years too late.

Relevant and embarrassment do not mean the same thing.

Being less of one may make us more of the other.

Here is hoping so.

We will be relevant when other fans feel we are, not when Nebraska fan feels we are.

Most fans think we did the right thing by firing the past coach, but thought we did it three years too late.

Relevant and embarrassment do not mean the same thing.

Being less of one may make us more of the other.

Here is hoping so.

Nicely stated. Agree 100%

Tell me where I'm wrong.

Riley vs Bo

Banker vs Pap/Bo

Bray vs Els

Brown has never been a good recruiter as he doesn't believe in putting in those kind of hours. Each coach deserves six years before they are judged on thier results. The first four they have to deal with what was left by the previous coaching staff, which may be good (Tom for Frank) or bad (Frank for Bill). Two years after the previous coaches last recruiting class should give you a good idea of what that staff will bring you in the future.

first four years you are going to give the new guys a pass altogether?.........wow, seems after 2 or 3 you should see some real improvement, as half the guys playing will be recruited and coached up by the new coaches........4-6 years the pattern is set...without a doubt, but things should show steady improvement way before then....i want to see that steady improvement in the first 4 years, old recruits or not!

and seeing that the bad coaches consistently won 9 or more games a year, the new improved coaching staff should at least match that number the first two or three years and after that need to win the BIG and play in the national championship playoff- I'd say that is the minimum expectation

Lol. Pretty lofty standards for "minimum expectation". I'd hate to see what your normal expectations are, maybe national championships every year and ending world hunger? Cheer up bud, everything will work itself out.