Which recent Husker era do you wish never happened?

Sparker

121 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, Callahan has to be my choice out of those two. Sure, the wounds of Bo are wide open right now and bleeding. But, Callahan simply was never the right fit on any level with Nebraska. And, there is a chance that if Callahan was never here, we would have had a successful coach during that time and Bo never would have been hired then in 2008.

Now, if you really want to dive into what era I wish never would have happened, I would go with the entire 1940s and 1950s. There was a stretch of years from 1942 to 1961 where we had a 68 - 120 record. That's a 36% winning percentage. The only reason why it's even that respectable is because between 1949 and 1955 we almost had a 50% winning percentage. The rest of the years are absolutely pathetic.

Why do I even care about years back then? The stat I found has us currently 41 wins behind Michigan as the winningest program in history (I'm not sure if all the results of this year have been added into this). We would have simply had to win slightly more than two more games per year (on average) during those 20 years to be where Michigan is at the top of the list.

As frustrating as both the Callahan and Pellini eras have been, it could be way way way worse with much more of a negative influence on how we are viewed historically as a program.

I agree that Clownahan was an extremely poor fit here. However, I can't agree at all with had he not been hired we could have had a successful coach during that time and Bo never being here. Pud had so entirely screwed the pooch with regards to the firing and coaching search we were lucky to even have a coach for the 04' season. Do you remember the names on Pud's so called short list? No way in Hades Dave Wandstadt becomes a successful coach here. No way does Houston Nutt become a successful coach here. The short lists of previous AD's here have been laughable at best. Eichorst has made the best hire by far as far as I'm concerned. Riley is a coach I've followed for quite a while and once upon a time was on almost everyones radar.

Well, my comments were based on the assumption that maybe we would have had a competent AD at the time (for which we didn't). Fact is (in my mind) however it would have happened, if we would have had a successful coach from 2004-2007, Bo would have been off coaching somewhere else and he never would have been hired in 2008 at Nebraska.

In before the "let it go" clip post.

That sh#ts gettin real old.

It's a message board. I know the program, players, etc, need to move on, but for god's sake, us as fans? We can discuss what we like.

Here in a thread bringing up Callahan and Solich eras..........

And look at me being a hypocrite in saying, if you dont like what's being discussed, move along to the next thread then as I bitch about some random video posts

In before the "let it go" clip post.

That sh#ts gettin real old.

It's a message board. I know the program, players, etc, need to move on, but for god's sake, us as fans? We can discuss what we like.

Here in a thread bringing up Callahan and Solich eras..........

And look at me being a hypocrite in saying, if you dont like what's being discussed, move along to the next thread then as I bitch about some random video posts

I agree with you. Take it up with the others.

This has to be a joke, right?

Comparing Pelini to Callahan is so stupid.

Callahan was far more toxic for this program.

Not anymore.

Pelini won games

Callahan didnt.

I get Pelini was a bit of a nut case and lost the games that mattered compared to Callahan who lost almost all games.

I understand your point that because of the recordings, and Pelini sideline demeanor and how we got blown out(assume this is where you think it is close with Pelini/Callahan), but that doesnt match up to what Callahan did to drive this program in to the ground.

Not anymore.

Pelini won games

Callahan didnt.

I get Pelini was a bit of a nut case and lost the games that mattered compared to Callahan who lost almost all games.

I understand your point that because of the recordings, and Pelini sideline demeanor and how we got blown out(assume this is where you think it is close with Pelini/Callahan), but that doesnt match up to what Callahan did to drive this program in to the ground.

Callahan didn't drive this program into the ground.

Further, in 2007, this general press around us was that we were down but we would get it righted.

I'd take that over the way Bo looks and how he made us look over the past 24 months any day. We're a glorified twitter joke.

I think a while back Count or Nupolo said something to the effect that we'd eventually be referring to Pelini's departure as a 'dumpster fire' in response to someone calling the Cally era a dumpster fire. Pretty sure whoever it was was quickly called out. I'm starting to think they might not have been that far off. As the days, weeks pass - and next season rolls around we're starting to see how bad Pelini left things. I still think this thing gets worse before it gets better. Who knows how many will transfer after spring. It's pretty toxic right now and isn't getting better. Riley might have a bigger job turning the program around than Pelini had.

Bo by a mile - at least 2010 to now, but we've probably only seen the surface scratched on what Bo is like.

If you fail having recruited hard, graduated kids, and run a clean program, fine. You get fired in four years and the program moves on.

Seven years of young fans looking up to Bo, of Nebraskans offering their loyalty, seven years of football players entrusted to his care, and we find out this is the guy he was all along. No class, no professionalism, quick to point fingers and drive factionalism, as un-Nebraska as they come.

But what's done is done.

• Fire 4

Here is what I find so interesting about these two situations.

When Callyclown was fired, Bo really didn't have to change that much as far as talent...etc. There was talent in the program. He just needed to build on what was here. The biggest thing he needed to change was a culture that losing a game here or there and having a losing season here or there wasn't that big of a deal. He did that. He took the talent and really put together some pretty good teams in 2009 and 2010 to the point where if we don't have an injury to 1 or 2 players in those years, we very well might have conference championships.

NOW.....I believe Bo has good talent on the team. Once again, the biggest task for Riley is changing the culture in the program but now it's changing it away from this..."Us against the world" mentality.

The two situations are so similar but yet so different.

Not anymore.

Pelini won games

Callahan didnt.

Further, in 2007, this general press around us was that we were down but we would get it righted.

I'd take that over the way Bo looks and how he made us look over the past 24 months any day. We're a glorified twitter joke.

C'mon man. Callahan gave us our first losing season in how many years? And he did it twice in four seasons.

If you want to argue Pelini was a more toxic person, I'd agree, but Callahan was worse for the program as a whole. Pelini was known to sh*t the bed against ranked competition but Callahan was no better. (Probably worse) Going 4-10 against ranked competition and the highest ranked opponent he beat was #20 Michigan in a bowl game. In that respect the two are quite similar but 5-7 and 5-6 sound like 'drove into the ground' to me.

Edit- I'd rather be a joke on twitter than a joke on the field.

• Fire 2

Not anymore.

Pelini won games

Callahan didnt.

C'mon man. Callahan gave us our first losing season in how many years? And he did it twice in four seasons.

If you want to argue Pelini was a more toxic person, I'd agree, but Callahan was worse for the program as a whole. Pelini was known to sh*t the bed against ranked competition but Callahan was no better. (Probably worse) Going 4-10 against ranked competition and the highest ranked opponent he beat was #20 Michigan in a bowl game. In that respect the two are quite similar but 5-7 and 5-6 sound like 'drove into the ground' to me.

Edit- I'd rather be a joke on twitter than a joke on the field.

I can't believe this is even a discussion. I agree with you that Callahan was so much worse for this program than Bo ever was. I'm glad Bo is gone, but if we had to choose between Callahan and Bo to take back, it would be Bo everyt time for me.

Not anymore.

Pelini won games

Callahan didnt.

Imagine if Twitter existed in 2007.