Gangwish suspended?

Warrior10

Coons are a nuisance to the ag community. Its a fact. The more that are killed the better it is.

I wouldn't argue with that at all. I don't care if a million of the bastards get killed. BUT there is no reason or need to kill them in a less humane way than is possible.

I've got no problem with Gangwish killing that coon with a wrench. That was the tool he had available to accomplish the job that needed to be done. I won't even get into the fact it wouldn't have been necessary if he had used his head first. He's young and made a mistake....it happens. But some of these backwards folk coming in here and bragging how they kill and torture just for fun.......sorry, that crosses the line in my yuppie book. If they're a nuisance, kill 'em, club 'em whatever but do it because they're a nuisance and need to be killed not because you get your jollies by doing it. That's just sick.

• Fire 1

I hate PETA and how they operate as much as the next person. But, having said that, if you post a video of yourself bludgeoning any animal to death, there will be some repercussions. I personally don't like that our administration caved in to the pressure from PETA but I certainly understand why they did so. A 1 week suspension is a small price to pay to get those hacks off your back.

For some of you that are overly struggling with this, you probably shouldn't be. Shooting a raccoon is much different than beating one to death with a wrench. It's a perception and appearances thing. Yes, the coon ends up dead either way but one way is a lot more humane than the other. It doesn't make one bit of difference if the animal is going to be beheaded later on anyway. The method of killing and the amount of pain inflicted on the animal does matter. I don't care if it is a cow, horse, raccoon, cat or what. I've had a little experience in this area. Years ago my employer was opening a new lamb slaughter and processing facility. We needed to run a few head through the process to check everything out. Well, the humane stunning equipment had not arrived yet so we knocked out the handful of lambs with a 2 pound ball peen hammer. I was watching this OLD man try to knock them out and he couldn't hit them hard enough to phase them. So, seeing that he was basically just torturing the animal and not making any progress, I took the hammer from him and put them down. (BTW- you have to hit a lamb/sheep really freaking hard and in the right spot to knock them out). Anyway, long story short, the wife of the companies owner got word as to what happened and let us know in no uncertain terms that wouldn't ever be happening again. It does matter how you kill an animal and how big of a nuisance or pest they are shouldn't be a factor in doing it as humanely as possibly. Gangwish may not have had a choice on how to kill it at that particular time but he sure did have the option of not making it public. F#ck PETA but he is probably due the punishment just for being stupid about making it public.

Ya, but if you shoot it in the head you can't enjoy mushed coon brain on PETA bread. A delicacy at all wild game feeds..

• Fire 1

Wow. The are a lot of pu&&ies on this board. It's an effin coon. I don't care if he took a selfie with it and I couldn't care less if he beat it with a shop towel. For dbag Eichorst to suspend him for it because PETA is absolutely bs. I suppose all the yuppies on this board will tell me now that we have a team rule that says you can't kill coons and take selfies with them? Just exactly what is he being suspended for? Highly doubt there's a rule against killing coons and there isn't a law against it either. Our AD is exactly what Bo said he is and he just keeps proving it. And all you defending Eichorst make me vomit in my mouth. You obviously didn't grow up in a rural area where coon hunting is a popular past times for kids and hell for that matter, adults. I literally just got in from taking my sons coon calling/hunting. And guess what, clubs are cheaper than bullets! Oh no, now everyone will condemn me for killing a poor defensless animal. Oh well, another $12 for my kids college fund.

He's suspended for being a dumbass.

And, please explain to a fellow hunter, what in the hell is the point of raccoon hunting?

Same as other versions of hunting, but instead of meat you get fur hide. This is a really down year, regular years you can get anywhere from $12-$25 per animal.

Coons are a nuisance to the ag community. Its a fact. The more that are killed the better it is.

I wouldn't argue with that at all. I don't care if a million of the bastards get killed. BUT there is no reason or need to kill them in a less humane way than is possible.

I've got no problem with Gangwish killing that coon with a wrench. That was the tool he had available to accomplish the job that needed to be done. I won't even get into the fact it wouldn't have been necessary if he had used his head first. He's young and made a mistake....it happens. But some of these backwards folk coming in here and bragging how they kill and torture just for fun.......sorry, that crosses the line in my yuppie book. If they're a nuisance, kill 'em, club 'em whatever but do it because they're a nuisance and need to be killed not because you get your jollies by doing it. That's just sick.

Um, I don't recall anyone mentioning torture. They are a nuisance and I have fun hunting them. If that's disturbing to you, go hug a tree.

• Fire 1

I remember watching a certain show about a Husker legend and they showed many pics of him in a field hunting. No one complained about that.

Exactly! This is the point I have been trying to make. That is, nobody complained because the death-by-wrench-selfie and legal hunting are very different. If he hunts deer within the parameters of the law, great! If he were to hold a deer down (out of season) and beat it to death with a wrench, I am sure the DNR would penalize him heavily. Would the DNR be wrong for fining him?

Um, I don't recall anyone mentioning torture. They are a nuisance and I have fun hunting them. If that's disturbing to you, go hug a tree.

This is special, me, being called a tree hugger. Priceless. Thanks for the laugh.

The distinction here (that I'm sure you don't get) is this; Do you enjoy killing them for no greater reason than killing them? Is it "fun" just to kill them? Is it better to beat them to death slowly than to kill them quickly? No money involved, no benefit of ridding the property of a nuisance, just fun for the sake of killing? If your answer to those questions is yes, then you might be a psychopath. Don't worry, if that is the case, you won't recognize the problem and can continue with any anti-social behavior you choose. Now if you do it for some greater purpose than "fun", then you may not have a problem. I'm guessing you probably don't have a problem but rather just like to talk big and act tough and feel some need to try to make people think you're more manly than you really are or something. It's just sad that somewhere deep down you equate killing a varmint, that anyone could easily humanely kill, with being macho and fun.

Wow. The are a lot of pu&&ies on this board. It's an effin coon. I don't care if he took a selfie with it and I couldn't care less if he beat it with a shop towel. For dbag Eichorst to suspend him for it because PETA is absolutely bs. I suppose all the yuppies on this board will tell me now that we have a team rule that says you can't kill coons and take selfies with them? Just exactly what is he being suspended for? Highly doubt there's a rule against killing coons and there isn't a law against it either. Our AD is exactly what Bo said he is and he just keeps proving it. And all you defending Eichorst make me vomit in my mouth. You obviously didn't grow up in a rural area where coon hunting is a popular past times for kids and hell for that matter, adults. I literally just got in from taking my sons coon calling/hunting. And guess what, clubs are cheaper than bullets! Oh no, now everyone will condemn me for killing a poor defensless animal. Oh well, another $12 for my kids college fund.

He's suspended for being a dumbass.

And, please explain to a fellow hunter, what in the hell is the point of raccoon hunting?

I guess that's your opinion. My opinion he isn't a dumbass. He was bored and found something to do that yuppies and town folk don't understand. I could care less that he posted a picture of it. Guys post pictures of themselves with deer, turkeys, other game when they get them don't they? Should they be suspended? What about guys that make a bad shot on a deer and end up cutting it's throat? Suspend them too? Growing up, we not only hunted coons, possums, coyotes, hell we'd trap them and even catch them with our bare hands. Why? Because it is fun! Shoot, we caught a coon, took pictures with it, and tamed it. Small town, not much to do, you grow up finding things to do. The point of coon hunting? Well....right now, they are $12 a piece sold to my fur buyer, $14 if I skin them myself. $18 for a black squirrel. Badgers will bring more and so will coyotes. Using a call, you can make $1500-$2000 in a pretty short time if you work at it.

Back in the day when coon pelts were higher we had problems with the damn things turning our lawn over looking for grubs. Solution - my brother lived trapped them then released them where he would be trapping in 6 months. Made a lot of cash that winter. These urban coons can get huge from dining out of garbage cans.

Smart animals and nothing to mess with. I know a guy whose lab swam after one. The thing crawled up on top of the labs head and drowned it. No love lost here for any dead coon.

1.has this rumor been substantiated? 2. If true, I would like details, how long, from what, etc. 3. As a manager it is necessary to discipline an employee for a behavior that is inappropriate. The act itself is what it is, but to post it online for the world to see is bone headed and should result in some disciplinary action. I bet next time Jack will think twice before posting something potentially offensive online.

FWIW, I can't stand PETA and have no problem with what Jack did, however these kids need to get a grip on the use of social media and understand the impact it can have, both on them personally and on their team. This was a teaching moment and I'm sure if it is true the suspension is minor on the big scheme of things but also conveys the message to think before posting!

No, it has not been substantiated. This is what I found when I googled the subject. PETA wants Gangwish to be disciplined. They wrote to the AD but there has been no word from the University. http://www.lostlettermen.com/article/nebraska-football-peta-writes-ad-letter-over-jack-gangwish-killing-raccoon

Christ, this board will argue about anything. Trapping and/or hunting beaver, muskrats, mink, and coons put me through my first two years in college. Of course this was when prices ran from $30 for a yearling to $62 for a big boar. I stopped when fur prices took a nosedive. It wasn't worth my time. Evidently it wasn't worth other people's time either, because the little buggers are everywhere now.

Having killed hundreds/thousands of fur-bearing rodents, I can assure you that a good thunk on the head is one less hole in the hide. If a strapping young guy like Gangwish thunked you upside the head with a crescent wrench, just like the raccoon, I doubt you would have felt it before the world went black.

All we can go by is the story that was told, correct? Given that, was he on school property or being charged with any sort of crime? No.

Did he do something extremely stupid by picking up the raccoon? Yes.

Is being stupid a crime? No.

Did he do the correct thing by dispatching the raccoon as quickly as he could with whatever means he had necessary to avoid mandatory multiple shots in the abdomen given to people bitten by wild animals? Yes.

I don't give two sh#ts if what he did got your panties OR PETA's panties in a bunch. He did nothing that warranted any suspension by the university. You many not agree with his methods, but if whacking it with a wrench is what kept it from getting away and having to get rabies shots, more power to him. The next raccoon that I catch in a live trap while raiding my barn cats' food should be dedicated to Jack Gangwish and receive a 12" crescent instead of a 22 between the eyes. Good lord people, nut up and stop acting like a bunch of metrosexuals.

• Fire 3