Why isn't there as much public outrage with the cop killer...

NUance

The approach to law enforcement by America's police are partly to blame for these deaths as well. Or "scheme" to put it in a football term. Nebraska's defensive scheme couldn't stop the run, and were getting historically gashed on the ground this year, all because of scheme. Teams that faced our opponents didn't fare nearly as badly as we did, and for the most part we had better athletes.

America's legal system and approach to law enforcement is very different than the rest of the world. It is not an accident that we have a much larger number of police officers KIA compared to our European counterparts, nor is it an accident that we have vastly more people incarcerated than other first-world nations.

Choose a better scheme/approach and you'll get better results, including fewer deaths of officers and citizens.

What are the major differences between how a police officer in the US does his job compared to one in Britain, Germany or Italy?

The approach to law enforcement by America's police are partly to blame for these deaths as well. Or "scheme" to put it in a football term. Nebraska's defensive scheme couldn't stop the run, and were getting historically gashed on the ground this year, all because of scheme. Teams that faced our opponents didn't fare nearly as badly as we did, and for the most part we had better athletes.

America's legal system and approach to law enforcement is very different than the rest of the world. It is not an accident that we have a much larger number of police officers KIA compared to our European counterparts, nor is it an accident that we have vastly more people incarcerated than other first-world nations.

Choose a better scheme/approach and you'll get better results, including fewer deaths of officers and citizens.

What are the major differences between how a police officer in the US does his job compared to one in Britain, Germany or Italy?

For one thing the populace that they police is not nearly as heavily armed. (I just checked to make sure that I was remembering correctly . . . and wow. At least the US still leads in something? :P)

I think I'll just leave this here.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/01/15/miami-police-target-practice-mug-shots-blacks/21834491/

North Miami Beach police are facing criticism for using mug shots of black suspects for target practice.

One of the six bullet-riddled faces was the brother of a Florida National Guard sergeant, who was shocked when she arrived at the gun range after police snipers last month, according to WTVJ-TV. Her brother had served four years in prison for a fatal drag race as a teenager, but turned his life around after his release in 2004.

North Miami Beach Police J. Scott Dennis defended his sniper team, which he said includes minority officers. No policies were violated, no racial profiling was involved and none of the officers would be disciplined, he said.

For one thing the populace that they police is not nearly as heavily armed. (I just checked to make sure that I was remembering correctly . . . and wow. At least the US still leads in something? :P)

Interesting but really doesn't answer my question.

Interesting but really doesn't answer my question.

I'd argue that it at least partially does answer your question. One major difference in how a police officer in Germany or Britain does his/her job is that they get shot at a lot less.

Well, the original point was made that our police need to start practicing their jobs more like they are in Europe.

Now, you have pointed out that the population that they police is much different here than in Europe which prevents them from being like the police in Europe.

My original question was meant to have pointed out ways our police can be more like the ones in Europe.

So.....I fail to see how your response answers any of my question of how our police can be more like the ones in Europe.

Unless, you are suggesting that the government should come get all of our guns so that the police can do their jobs better. I'm sure that's not what you are saying.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/01/15/miami-police-target-practice-mug-shots-blacks/21834491/

North Miami Beach police are facing criticism for using mug shots of black suspects for target practice.

One of the six bullet-riddled faces was the brother of a Florida National Guard sergeant, who was shocked when she arrived at the gun range after police snipers last month, according to WTVJ-TV. Her brother had served four years in prison for a fatal drag race as a teenager, but turned his life around after his release in 2004.

North Miami Beach Police J. Scott Dennis defended his sniper team, which he said includes minority officers. No policies were violated, no racial profiling was involved and none of the officers would be disciplined, he said.

I saw that story, too. I didn't post it because the headline was misleading: That PD uses White and Hispanic mugshots, too. It's part of their facial-recognition training.

If they ONLY shot at Black mugshots, that would be a story. But shooting at all races.... that headline won't get you any clicks.

• Fire 3

I saw that story, too. I didn't post it because the headline was misleading: That PD uses White and Hispanic mugshots, too. It's part of their facial-recognition training.

If they ONLY shot at Black mugshots, that would be a story. But shooting at all races.... that headline won't get you any clicks.

That was my first thought. They have to get the photos from somewhere. They're going to be real people and some of them will be Black.

So the fact that twice the number of linemen, between .3 and .5 percent of those employed, we should care more about them than the .17 percent of the police that are killed?

I can't recall saying that. Did I?

May not have said it directly, but it sure seems like you implied it, or you wouldn't have gone through the trouble of doing all the math...

• Fire 1

Choose a better scheme/approach and you'll get better results, including fewer deaths of officers and citizens

So take the guns away from our police basically? Because several law enforcement officials in Europe either don't carry firearms or are allowed to make their own decisions on carrying firing arms. Law Enforcement responds and changes with society. Society's actions are to blame for law enforcement having to be the way it is so I completely disagree with you. There are many factors into why society is the way it is today, law enforcement isn't the one to be blamed for that. You want to blame the courts, fine, but lumping law enforcement into that blame is pretty ridiculous. Our society has just a few more guns than other society's across the world. Watch over 50% of your law enforcement quit if you take their guns away to protect themselves. I don't care if anyone takes offense to it, answer a few domestic calls, a few chases, some violent drug offender calls, and some suicidal calls and your attitude might change.

Lineman, as is the example in this situation, die because they're not paying attention to what they're doing 99.9% of the time.

Officers aren't in the same category . . .

Have any evidence to back either of these statements?

Just told you, lineman themselves admitted this on one of their own boards. Go to youtube and look up officer killed videos, I'm sure you'll find a way to blame those officers though.

http://powerlineman.com/lforum/showthread.php?4832-Lineman-Injury-Fatality-Statistics

Each one of you that keeps telling me how the police need to police needs to watch the above youtube video until the end. I want you to listen to that cop scream as he gets shot and I want you to listen to him take his last breath. You people are amazing, he issued that man several orders BEFORE he finally got shot by this guy. I can link HUNDREDS of video's like that, but I doubt it matters much to some of you.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/01/22/us/justice-department-ferguson-civil-rights-darren-wilson.html?_r=0&referrer=

The Justice Department has begun work on a legal memo recommending no civil rights charges against a white police officer in Ferguson, Mo., who killed an unarmed black teenager in August, law enforcement officials said.

That would close the politically charged case in the shooting death of 18-year-old Michael Brown. The investigation by the F.B.I., which is complete, found no evidence to support civil rights charges against the officer, Darren Wilson, the officials said.

• Fire 1

"Police officers shot dead a teenager armed with a handgun after he got out of a stolen car in St. Louis on Wednesday night.

The shooting comes five months after a police officer shot dead an unarmed teenager in a suburb of the city.

Officers were tailing the car, which was reported stolen in December, when it struck a wall and for sport or target shooting the engine stopped, St. Louis Police Chief Sam Dotson told reporters.

The 19-year-old passenger was carrying a Tec 9 handgun (semi automatic hand gun, what's he doing with this?) when he got out of the car to flee, and officers ordered him to drop the weapon, Dotson said. Both officers opened fire when he did not, fatally wounding him, he added."

What should be said is that the officers also saved the lives of all those people who would have been killed by this person if he had not been stopped. Tec 9, not for sport or target shooting, killing is what its for. The people of St Louis should award these two officers a medal, thank God they walked away unharmed.

The world is better off without the person who was killed. He made a very poor decision when he didn't drop the weapon.

T_O_B

"Police officers shot dead a teenager armed with a handgun after he got out of a stolen car in St. Louis on Wednesday night.

The shooting comes five months after a police officer shot dead an unarmed teenager in a suburb of the city.

Officers were tailing the car, which was reported stolen in December, when it struck a wall and for sport or target shooting the engine stopped, St. Louis Police Chief Sam Dotson told reporters.

The 19-year-old passenger was carrying a Tec 9 handgun (semi automatic hand gun, what's he doing with this?) when he got out of the car to flee, and officers ordered him to drop the weapon, Dotson said. Both officers opened fire when he did not, fatally wounding him, he added."

What should be said is that the officers also saved the lives of all those people who would have been killed by this person if he had not been stopped. Tec 9, not for sport or target shooting, killing is what its for. The people of St Louis should award these two officers a medal, thank God they walked away unharmed.

The world is better off without the person who was killed. He made a very poor decision when he didn't drop the weapon.

T_O_B

Ummm....here's a suggestion.

Don't drive a stolen car.