Offensive Coordinator and other coaching vacancies

I'm expecting at least 8 wins but I'm not going to pigeon hole this staff in year one

Urban Meyer chose Ohio State because he knew he could win with the talent and resources there. His first media days as Ohio State coach included a challenge to every other B1G coach to pick up their recruiting. Michigan isn't chasing Harbaugh looking for a transition time......they want someone they believe can go head to head with Urban Meyer next season. Florida didn't hire McElwain to not win right away. Is the Nebraska hire of Mike Riley different?

Here TheSker.

http://ysupenguins.com/forum/

This is Huskerboard.

I appreciate your efforts to look that up......but my post made zero mention of Pelini.

I'm expecting at least 8 wins but I'm not going to pigeon hole this staff in year one

Urban Meyer chose Ohio State because he knew he could win with the talent and resources there. His first media days as Ohio State coach included a challenge to every other B1G coach to pick up their recruiting. Michigan isn't chasing Harbaugh looking for a transition time......they want someone they believe can go head to head with Urban Meyer next season. Florida didn't hire McElwain to not win right away. Is the Nebraska hire of Mike Riley different?
It's not different. I expect Riley to come in here and win immediately.

If he doesn't win our new standard 9-10 games I won't panic after just one season. Any coach deserves more time to make an impression than just one year.

Truthfully though, I don't think we'll have a problem reaching that goal. If nothing else though, I just want to see Nebraska playing good football again. Solid fundamentals, a clear plan, execution, simplicity, attacking defense and an identity on offense. A quarterback that progresses, not regresses. A team that shows improvement throughout the season. If things do go wrong, I don't want to see panic, I want to see a team that keeps fighting, puts their heads down and goes back to work.

Too many of you keep placing total value on this damn win total thing. I think it was because it was all Bo Pelini could ever really hang his hat on because as far as I'm concerned, we haven't seen most of the things I listed above in quite awhile. To me, those things are what's important.

You win some and you lose some, but as long as you're taking care of the things you can control and putting in the work, the effort and improvement is usually easy to see and the results are usually in your favor.

You win some and you lose some, but as long as you're taking care of the things you can control and putting in the work, the effort and improvement is usually easy to see and the results are usually in your favor.

I agree with this.

Every team will get tested during the course of a season. There will be times in games or after losses when they have to dig deep and push through. Do they have the mental makeup for it, etc.

The big question for this upcoming Nebraska team is, for a group used to resorting to the "screw [fans/media/AD/etc], band together" method, will they be able to do it in a new way.

With all the bullsh#t and mental fragileness weve seen from this program, how the hell did we consistently win 9 games? The talent and potential is there for Riley to come in and win the conference right away. I dont understand the doom gloom mondset from the last of the bolievers. Were simple sound coaching and an attitude from 12-0 this god damn year.

• Fire 3

With all the bullsh#t and mental fragileness weve seen from this program, how the hell did we consistently win 9 games? The talent and potential is there for Riley to come in and win the conference right away. I dont understand the doom gloom mondset from the last of the bolievers. Were simple sound coaching and an attitude from 12-0 this god damn year.

I am sorry 12-0 that is total BS with below average O line play, a defense that couldn't defend the run and an inconsistent QB, wasn't gonna let that happen. Get real! Be honest in your assessment

I am sorry 12-0 that is total BS with below average O line play, a defense that couldn't defend the run and an inconsistent QB, wasn't gonna let that happen. Get real! Be honest in your assessment
so some simple sound coaching and better attitude wouldntve swayed the mich st abd minny games in our favor that were that close as it was? And a staff and players that could keep their cool (attitude) and makes common sense adjustments (simple coaching) wouldnt be able to hold on against wisconsin instead of crumbling after looking so sharp for a quarter?

Why do i have to re-explain what i say by saying the same thing again? Why cant you just READ what i said, and put some thought to it before responding?

• Fire 2

Z potter, p Allen, ty steinkuler, ty wortman, Blake Lawrence, aramndo murillo, Anthony west, and Rickey thenarse. Don't think that as a starting line up is in the stratosphere of our 90s teams. Sure Suh, Dillard and asante were pretty salty.

Not sure if serious?

DL Suh, Crick, Turner, Allen

LB Dillard, Compton, Fisher

DB Amukamara, Hagg, Asante, O'Hanlon, Dennard

That is your 2009 defense that inherited from Callahan

Scratch Compton and Fisher and add in Gomes, since there was only 2 games (Va Tech and kansas St) where we opted to be in more nickel/base as opposed to dime (or peso as we know it now).
Now can someone explain to me how that isn't the most talented defense we have had since the 90s?
Well first of all Bo recruited Compton, Fisher, and Dennard. O'Hanlon was a walkon, not really a recruit per say by Callahan. Also Fisher wasn't really a starter in '09.

so some simple sound coaching and better attitude wouldntve swayed the mich st abd minny games in our favor that were that close as it was? And a staff and players that could keep their cool (attitude) and makes common sense adjustments (simple coaching) wouldnt be able to hold on against wisconsin instead of crumbling after looking so sharp for a quarter?

Why do i have to re-explain what i say by saying the same thing again? Why cant you just READ what i said, and put some thought to it before responding?

coaching would have helped some , hell you could say that every team "with just a little more coaching we would have won" We have slightly above average talent on the O-line below average lb"s and a secondary that is for the most part is to small to make up for what we lack at line backer. People go on and on about Gregory but I accurately stated that he would not be able to set the edge against a physical offense and I think we all saw how that went. coaching would have helped but 12-0 hell no!

coaching would have helped some , hell you could say that every team "with just a little more coaching we would have won" We have slightly above average talent on the O-line below average lb"s and a secondary that is for the most part is to small to make up for what we lack at line backer. People go on and on about Gregory but I accurately stated that he would not be able to set the edge against a physical offense and I think we all saw how that went. coaching would have helped but 12-0 hell no!

We lost 2 of our 3 games by a combined 8 points. And was literally in position to win each of them. yes, better coaching and better attitude would have us at 12-0 right now. Oline play? Linebacker play? Yeah, improving those falls under the "better coaching and better attitude" categories. If we woulda dropped a safety in the box, penetrated and 1-gapped our DT's (which Collins has showed over and over again he's unblockable when givin the green light) and spilled runs to the edge, using the sideline as an extra defender, and let our linebackers and safieties just pursue instaed of concentrating so hard on technical run fits in a two gap scheme, Gordon would been held in check. We'd a beat wisconsin. And Gregory would have to worry so much about "setting the edge" This is the kind of concept that Banker has used.

So i guess I dont see how you could come to a "hell no 12-0" conclusion. Were that close as it was. Improved Oline and LB play? Yeah, that falls under improved coaching.

That bottom line is, like I stated to begin with, is that the talent and potential is here. If Riley accomplishes a quick buy-in from this team we will be immdiately competitive for a conference championship. This is not a 2-3-4 year rebuilding project. This is a situation that a guy like Riley can come in and simply improve attitude and mindset, toss in a bit of experienced and improved coaching and get us over the hump.

We lost 2 of our 3 games by a combined 8 points. And was literally in position to win each of them. yes, better coaching and better attitude would have us at 12-0 right now. Oline play? Linebacker play? Yeah, improving those falls under the "better coaching and better attitude" categories. If we woulda dropped a safety in the box, penetrated and 1-gapped our DT's (which Collins has showed over and over again he's unblockable when givin the green light) and spilled runs to the edge, using the sideline as an extra defender, and let our linebackers and safieties just pursue instaed of concentrating so hard on technical run fits in a two gap scheme, Gordon would been held in check. We'd a beat wisconsin. And Gregory would have to worry so much about "setting the edge" This is the kind of concept that Banker has used.

So i guess I dont see how you could come to a "hell no 12-0" conclusion. Were that close as it was. Improved Oline and LB play? Yeah, that falls under improved coaching.

That bottom line is, like I stated to begin with, is that the talent and potential is here. If Riley accomplishes a quick buy-in from this team we will be immdiately competitive for a conference championship. This is not a 2-3-4 year rebuilding project. This is a situation that a guy like Riley can come in and simply improve attitude and mindset, toss in a bit of experienced and improved coaching and get us over the hump.

i am sorry I disagree about the talent, I don't get where you can say we have all this elite talent, I watch them and don't see it . If the guy across from you is bigger quicker and stronger he is probably going to win the battle. Our "PHYSICAL" talent is going to be dictated to a degree by our recruiting and classes consistently in the 25-40 range over the long haul is not going to bring in the elite talent one needs to be consistently successful at a high level like championships. I am not saying we don't have some talent , just not Ohio st. talent and all the coaching up in the world would not change the result if played 10times on a neutral field .We would lose 7 times. So with a really weak non con sched and being in the weak ass west where with good coaching and our talent level we can be successful. Just not championship level at least with the current roster.

• Fire 1

i am sorry I disagree about the talent, I don't get where you can say we have all this elite talent, I watch them and don't see it . If the guy across from you is bigger quicker and stronger he is probably going to win the battle. Our "PHYSICAL" talent is going to be dictated to a degree by our recruiting and classes consistently in the 25-40 range over the long haul is not going to bring in the elite talent one needs to be consistently successful at a high level like championships. I am not saying we don't have some talent , just not Ohio st. talent and all the coaching up in the world would not change the result if played 10times on a neutral field .We would lose 7 times. So with a really weak non con sched and being in the weak ass west where with good coaching and our talent level we can be successful. Just not championship level at least with the current roster.

Our guys dont "look" as talented because they are constantly playing tentative. Again, and coaching AND attitude issue. Nebraska has never had ELITE talent across the board. Sure, we had an elite star here and there, but for the most part it was always a strong minded group of guys, coached up to work at its highest level as a team. We have no more or less talent overall than Nebraska ever has. When all the media types who visit fall camp and spew year after year that only Ohio St can outtalent Nebraska in the Big Ten, that says something. Our guys arent being coached. We see so many teams year in and year out do more with less. Again, coaching/attitude problems.

• Fire 1

Our guys dont "look" as talented because they are constantly playing tentative. Again, and coaching AND attitude issue. Nebraska has never had ELITE talent across the board. Sure, we had an elite star here and there, but for the most part it was always a strong minded group of guys, coached up to work at its highest level as a team. We have no more or less talent overall than Nebraska ever has. When all the media types who visit fall camp and spew year after year that only Ohio St can outtalent Nebraska in the Big Ten, that says something. Our guys arent being coached. We see so many teams year in and year out do more with less. Again, coaching/attitude problems.

well we will see. Believe it, if it will make you feel better. I have watched this team for 45 yrs. and overall we are just not as talented as we used to be, especially in the line play, where it all begins, and with that statement of teams with less talent , news flash those teams have either caught up or passed us!