Offensive Coordinator and other coaching vacancies

We've managed to win nine games each year for the past seven despite what most claim to be very sub-par if not terrible coaching. Even average coaching would seem to be an improvement.

The simple answer is that was year 7 of Bo Pelini, and this is year 1 of Mike Riley. Transitions and new schemes on both sides of the ball are never easy, never mind the attitude adjustment necessary on a team that has been taught to think about what is holding them back.

If we retained Bo Pelini and he had upgraded his staff somewhat for next season, I can see where that argument would come from. Although there was plenty of coaching talent on the staff, if not at all positions. That will be hard to replace, especially on defense. Doesn't change that Bo was necessary to replace.

If its Danny Langsdorf as OC, why not announce it now...he's QB coach... that shouldn't matter to any play off games..??

I believe it has to do with NFL contracts. I was listening about it referring to Harbough and UM

I know NFL players get 16 game checks, 1 for each game. I wouldn't be surprised if coaches have the same deal, where they are paid for each game. If a NFL assistant coach were to announce he's leaving for a college job, he would probably be in breech of contact, and wouldn't get paid for his last game (or whatever amount he's owed).

I'd put the over/under for wins this season at around 7-8. I think Riley will prove to be a superior coach to Pelini, both on and off the field. But it's a transition year and we'll need to show some patience.

Really. 7 wins. That would be tough to swallow. I don't care how nice a guy u are. I would assume our defensive schemes will be dumbed down and shouldnt have a huge learning curve. We have rose, jax, moss, and Alexander coming back next year. Our def should be salty enough to keep us in every contest. Offensively we should at least have enough talent to be moderately successful. If bo could win 9 with Callahans mess I think 9 should be the bar for this staff in year 1.

I'd put the over/under for wins this season at around 7-8. I think Riley will prove to be a superior coach to Pelini, both on and off the field. But it's a transition year and we'll need to show some patience.

Really. 7 wins. That would be tough to swallow. I don't care how nice a guy u are. I would assume our defensive schemes will be dumbed down and shouldnt have a huge learning curve. We have rose, jax, moss, and Alexander coming back next year. Our def should be salty enough to keep us in every contest. Offensively we should at least have enough talent to be moderately successful. If bo could win 9 with Callahans mess I think 9 should be the bar for this staff in year 1.

Yeah what a mess, one of the most talented defenses NU has produced since the 90s

Yeah what a mess, one of the most talented defenses NU has produced since the 90s

Good talent but he didn't inherit a good defense. More to playing defense than being talented. Didn't look very talented the year before.

Z potter, p Allen, ty steinkuler, ty wortman, Blake Lawrence, aramndo murillo, Anthony west, and Rickey thenarse. Don't think that as a starting line up is in the stratosphere of our 90s teams. Sure Suh, Dillard and asante were pretty salty.

The 2008 defense wasnt what I would call "good" either.

2009? Well yeah. Look at the talent that flagbeared that unit, not to mention second year of the regime as opposed to the first.

Z potter, p Allen, ty steinkuler, ty wortman, Blake Lawrence, aramndo murillo, Anthony west, and Rickey thenarse. Don't think that as a starting line up is in the stratosphere of our 90s teams. Sure Suh, Dillard and asante were pretty salty.

Not sure if serious?

DL Suh, Crick, Turner, Allen

LB Dillard, Compton, Fisher

DB Amukamara, Hagg, Asante, O'Hanlon, Dennard

That is your 2009 defense that inherited from Callahan

Not sure if serious?

DL Suh, Crick, Turner, Allen

LB Dillard, Compton, Fisher

DB Amukamara, Hagg, Asante, O'Hanlon, Dennard

That is your 2009 defense that inherited from Callahan

Scratch Compton and Fisher and add in Gomes, since there was only 2 games (Va Tech and kansas St) where we opted to be in more nickel/base as opposed to dime (or peso as we know it now).