"John Papuchis to go it alone as DC in last game at Nebraska" - AP

He reminds me of the awkward, gifted child, moved two grades ahead. I think Pap is a really good guy, in a no win situation here. Not qualified, but I think he gave it all he was allowed to. He was not the root of the problem. He did not force his way on Bo Pelini. Sad we develop so much hate for the guys just doing what they are told to do or allowed to do, and the reason for their problems is still looked on as some great coach.

I do not expect much tomorrow night, but I am sure hoping Pap goes out with a bang, actually all of them. I hope all of us are smiling tomorrow night when it is over. Take some real positives from the season.

• Fire 2

skersfan - "I do not expect much tomorrow night, but I am sure hoping Pap goes out with a bang, actually all of them. I hope all of us are smiling tomorrow night when it is over. Take some real positives from the season."

I like your post but I DO expect them to cut loose and play fired up like they have nothing to lose.

They've made it harder on themselves by laying back in that weird prevent style defense wearing themself down and it's time for some guys to step up and make big plays so they don't have to be on the field forever. Some picks would be nice....maybe the occasional shoot the gap backfield tackle.

If USC runners look like surfers riding the tube, it'll be a long night.

I am not sure they will turn them lose. Doing it for the first time, could cause some problems to.

I hope they play well, but there are a lot of reasons for them not to. I think they will play looser than they have for the last 7 years. I really do not how they couldn't.

Just have fun, play as hard at they can, and enjoy their last night together as a team.

What happens, happens.

I don't expect some miraculous turnaround at all.

I can't force myself to forget the defensive failures of the last few years. Not just poor game planning, game management, and a scheme from hell. Heck, we weren't even a fundamentally sound defense. Tackling has been an issue here for years. We had the same missed assignments and watched teams burn us with the same philosophies over and over. The lack of improvements and adjustments were not only evident in games, but over multiple seasons.

People can't really just absolve Papuchis of responsibility can they? It seems silly. Yes, this was Bo's scheme. Yes, Bo called the plays defensively. Still, Papuchis has been a part of this thing for years. With the title of DC, I would expect he was doing a lot of assisting with all of these things.

I'm ready for the new staff to get in there and change the type of football we've been watching. It's been ugly and hard to watch for me for quite a long time. This coaching era is over Saturday. Finally.

I don't think Paps had any more input on the Huskers defense than I did for the past few years.

• Fire 2

I don't expect some miraculous turnaround at all.

I can't force myself to forget the defensive failures of the last few years. Not just poor game planning, game management, and a scheme from hell. Heck, we weren't even a fundamentally sound defense. Tackling has been an issue here for years. We had the same missed assignments and watched teams burn us with the same philosophies over and over. The lack of improvements and adjustments were not only evident in games, but over multiple seasons.

People can't really just absolve Papuchis of responsibility can they? It seems silly. Yes, this was Bo's scheme. Yes, Bo called the plays defensively. Still, Papuchis has been a part of this thing for years. With the title of DC, I would expect he was doing a lot of assisting with all of these things.

I'm ready for the new staff to get in there and change the type of football we've been watching. It's been ugly and hard to watch for me for quite a long time. This coaching era is over Saturday. Finally.

I don't think Paps had any more input on the Huskers defense than I did for the past few years.

If you really think that, then Lord help you.

Are you really serious? Have you ever worked for a bad manager that is a control freak? Pap was/is very new to the business and Bo is about the only name on his resume. So being defiant and trying to force things that he wanted would have only put him on the unemployment line.

Let's just wait for Saturday with an open mind. There are two potential outcomes for this game for NU... either they play lifeless and get blown out worse than Wisconsin OR they play with renewed passion and they play an inspired game. I'm betting the former but maybe Bo was really holding the coaches and players back by his poor managerial skills.

I am hoping we see something inspired on Saturday. From experience I know working under a micromanager (as it seems Bo was/is) is demotivating. So, hopefully there will be some motivation to prove everyone wrong one last time.

I am also hoping for this, but I see two obstacles:

1. A beat up O-line, I hear we have 3 starters out, and a 3rd stringer starting at center.
  2. USC's rushing game. USC wins when they run for more than 150 yards. If the NU scheme doesn't change, the US back will look like Gordon.

I expected nothing less than this 'throw Bo under the bus now that he's gone' crap from his spineless 'yes man' coordinators. Yes, I am sure Bo micromanaged them & made their jobs difficult. Guess what? They could have left & got a different job...they chose to keep working for Bo.

And exactly what job would have been out there for Paps? He was basically a GA until he came here to Ne. After seeing what he produced on the field, who would hire him if he left during the season?

On another note: Would be funny for the defense to hold USC and then at the end of the game for Paps to hold a sign up high saying "Told you so Bo!"

Yea, Bo was running the defense. So what? We all knew that. Papuchis had input as well though.

To imply that he just hung out and gave hugs and high fives all day is ridiculous. You can't just erase all accountability from this guy.

He was the DC by title. He's a grown man. He has a responsibility to himself to build his resume', to learn and develop, and to progress in his career. Did he think he was just going to ride on Bo's coattails and just keep being the towel boy for the rest of his career?

Bo lost his job for many reasons, epic defensive meltdowns and unwillingness to change were two of those reasons. Papuchis suffered the consequences for the same reasons. If he had no input, he should have made sure he got some. He is the DC. If anybody is going to lose their job for a defense not performing, it's going to be the DC. If Papuchis did try to establish some sort of say in what was going on and Bo denied him, then he should have been job hunting for a place where he was actually going to COACH. That is what he was being paid for.

It amazes me how many of you just want to give him a pass all of a sudden. If he had no input, then Nebraska sure paid him a lot of money to do nothing.

No one is saying Paps should get a pass. Most posters are saying Paps was severely under qualified to be DC. He was also severely over paid, which made it impossible for him to obtain another job that paid as well as his current job. I would have loved to hear paps interview for a DC position.

Interviewer: "What were your responsibilities?"

Paps: "I signaled in the plays and brought donuts to meetings."

Interviewer: What adjustments did you make when Gordon was running wild?"

Paps: "I pulled down on the left side of my underwear so they would quit riding up."

No one is saying Paps should get a pass. Most posters are saying Paps was severely under qualified to be DC. He was also severely over paid, which made it impossible for him to obtain another job that paid as well as his current job. I would have loved to hear paps interview for a DC position.

Interviewer: "What were your responsibilities?"

Paps: "I signaled in the plays and brought donuts to meetings."

Interviewer: What adjustments did you make when Gordon was running wild?"

Paps: "I pulled down on the left side of my underwear so they would quit riding up."

That makes sense. I agree with everything you said. He didn't belong at DC, especially at Nebraska. He was over paid, which is probably why he didn't leave for another job. I can get on board with that. I just got the feeling some were just relinquishing him of all responsibility for this disaster we've called a defense. His role may not have been that of a "normal" DC, but he had a role.

Regardless, I'm glad to see he is moving on, along with his boss and the other buddies.