Is Riley the Next Barney Fife or our TO-like Savior?

AZHusker33

Let's quit with all the negativity. Come on guys! I just have a good feeling about this guy. I don't think he is like Solich, or Callahan, or Bo! He is the first guy we have hired who is an experienced and successful-by OSU standards- HC since Bob Devaney. We have seen that he has the demeanor of Dr . Tom. He has a good recruiting pipeline to the West Coast: especially California. And keep in mind; we still have our footprints in Texas, Louisiana , Florida, and Georgia. Best of all; he is an excellent developer of young players: quarterbacks in particular. And; since we have lots of raw talent at QB on this team already- let alone his knack for recruiting NFL QB's- that last fact excites me! Just imagine Tommy only 10% better than he is!!!!!!!!! And what about Stanton? What about Darlington, and the other two? Think about it! This is an exciting time ! I think we will be fine. Let's be guardedly excited , patient, and enjoy the ride!

As far as Don Knotts roles......I think it's more like 'The Reluctant Astronaut'. I'm pretty sure Scott Frost knew if he came back there'd be a little dog jumping in the cake and an old lady saying she used to change his dinies. It'll take a special kind of guy to please these nutjob Red Clad Loons and Riley might be the perfect man for the job.

I was thinking more along the lines of "The Incredible Mr. Limpet." A guy falls in the sea of red and turns into a freaky cartoon fish. (But in the end, the cartoon fish saves the day!)

MV5BMTQwMDI2MTk5MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTEy

Lincoln might as well be light-years from Corvallis. People in Oregon had a choice. Don't like the taste of Beaver football? Slide on over to the Duck Dominion, no problems. Here? There is only one topic and it never sleeps. Riley didn't run back to OSU from San Diego because his fair skin couldn't take the sun. His first love may be working with young men, but will that be enough to shut out all the pressure directed at him and the program from outside? I just don't see it.

But if you're Riley, does it matter? He knows he hit the lottery. Riley was probably going to be let go by Oregon State and Eichorst gave him a million dollar a year raise to come to Lincoln.

If Riley never wins a game, Eichorst has guaranteed a nice retirement package.

Maybe that's why he's smiling so much?

Let go at OSU? He was signed through 2021. They couldn't buy him out even if they wanted to.

Let's quit with all the negativity. Come on guys! I just have a good feeling about this guy. I don't think he is like Solich, or Callahan, or Bo! He is the first guy we have hired who is an experienced and successful-by OSU standards- HC since Bob Devaney. We have seen that he has the demeanor of Dr . Tom. He has a good recruiting pipeline to the West Coast: especially California. And keep in mind; we still have our footprints in Texas, Louisiana , Florida, and Georgia. Best of all; he is an excellent developer of young players: quarterbacks in particular. And; since we have lots of raw talent at QB on this team already- let alone his knack for recruiting NFL QB's- that last fact excites me! Just imagine Tommy only 10% better than he is!!!!!!!!! And what about Stanton? What about Darlington, and the other two? Think about it! This is an exciting time ! I think we will be fine. Let's be guardedly excited , patient, and enjoy the ride!

if he can fix TA he can do anything! he throws the ball up for grabs like it was his first game........good luck Mike!

Well in today's Oregonian newspaper or oregonlive on the net they had another very detailed story of the rape scandal involving the OSU players in 1998. This has been an incredible story about OSU dropping the ball big time. I found it interesting in the article they quoted an administrator at OSU that said Mike Riley wasn't hired at Oregon State to win football games, but to increase the donor base with Alumni money. They also had a quote which They made some reference that Mike Riley said he recalled the incident in 1998 but not the details. Ha ha good one. Two of your players and a recruit accused of gang rape and the story is still coming up about how it was handled. Barney Fife I don't think so. Hopefully, Nebraska has some tight reins on how players will be disciplined. Lots of felony arrest of players at Oregon St. Also don't forget OSU two best teams 2000-2001 were coached by Dennis Erickson, He took over and the next season took the Beavers to a BCS bowl and win over Notre Dame. Let's hope Nebraska has hired this man to win games. I for one believe this is way more political and all about imagine, the donor base and future ticket sales and not about winning. I was never a fan of BO not from day one. All I can say is be careful what you wish for going forward. BO ran a tight ship and a clean program. They won a lot of games and his players stayed out of serious trouble for the most part. He also had an impressive graduation rate for his program. I for one don't think Mike Riley is Barney Fife.

As far as Don Knotts roles......I think it's more like 'The Reluctant Astronaut'. I'm pretty sure Scott Frost knew if he came back there'd be a little dog jumping in the cake and an old lady saying she used to change his dinies. It'll take a special kind of guy to please these nutjob Red Clad Loons and Riley might be the perfect man for the job.

I was thinking more along the lines of "The Incredible Mr. Limpet." A guy falls in the sea of red and turns into a freaky cartoon fish. (But in the end, the cartoon fish saves the day!)

MV5BMTQwMDI2MTk5MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTEy

I think you're onto something.........the OC will probably look like a hermit crab.

People always assume a nice guy won't do what's needed. Riley has already fired almost everyone in the football department except for one coach. He was probably nice to them when doing it too.

You don't have to yell to get your point across. They'll get the message just fine when they're sitting on the bench watching their replacement play.

• Fire 1

We won't really get a glimpse or even an idea of what's going on until Spring ball starts. It's near impossible to speculate with a new staff anymore than we already have.

Riley has a certain air about him to me - he's an 'aw-shucks' type of guy that just took one of the top 15-20 best jobs in college football. That shows a competitive edge, a desire to win and make a statement.

Some of his staff may not have put together the best teams in the Pac 12. But, they're experienced guys who are picking up a lot of great resources. Most importantly is the experience, which was lacking with the previous staff at some spots. Give a craftsmen shoddy tools and materials and you get what you get. Give the same craftsmen really good tools and materials and you'll likely get a better product.

Well in today's Oregonian newspaper or oregonlive on the net they had another very detailed story of the rape scandal involving the OSU players in 1998. This has been an incredible story about OSU dropping the ball big time. I found it interesting in the article they quoted an administrator at OSU that said Mike Riley wasn't hired at Oregon State to win football games, but to increase the donor base with Alumni money. They also had a quote which They made some reference that Mike Riley said he recalled the incident in 1998 but not the details. Ha ha good one. Two of your players and a recruit accused of gang rape and the story is still coming up about how it was handled. Barney Fife I don't think so. Hopefully, Nebraska has some tight reins on how players will be disciplined. Lots of felony arrest of players at Oregon St. Also don't forget OSU two best teams 2000-2001 were coached by Dennis Erickson, He took over and the next season took the Beavers to a BCS bowl and win over Notre Dame. Let's hope Nebraska has hired this man to win games. I for one believe this is way more political and all about imagine, the donor base and future ticket sales and not about winning. I was never a fan of BO not from day one. All I can say is be careful what you wish for going forward. BO ran a tight ship and a clean program. They won a lot of games and his players stayed out of serious trouble for the most part. He also had an impressive graduation rate for his program. I for one don't think Mike Riley is Barney Fife.

did you just copy and paste this from the other 17 times youve posted it?

Serious question.

Well count bility or whatever your handle is no in fact I didn't. Perhaps if you'd read any type of news stories outside of your small bubble of Nebraska you'd see the story was printed on Oregonlive on 12-29-14. So if you have a problem with me because I'm not buying the baloney your being fed just come out and say it. Serious question......you have a problem with it try complaining to the investigative reporter who is writing the story. All I'm saying is he is no Barney Fife nor a Savior. He's a man and a Football coach that's it.

• Fire 1

Well count bility or whatever your handle is no in fact I didn't. Perhaps if you'd read any type of news stories outside of your small bubble of Nebraska you'd see the story was printed on Oregonlive on 12-29-14. So if you have a problem with me because I'm not buying the baloney your being fed just come out and say it. Serious question......you have a problem with it try complaining to the investigative reporter who is writing the story. All I'm saying is he is no Barney Fife nor a Savior. He's a man and a Football coach that's it.

Canzano has been called a lot of things, but investigative reporter isn't one. The blame here is on law enforcement and the victim. She refused to testify, the players implicated each other and the DA refused to go forward because he feared losing without the testimony of the victim. It's not up to the university to investigate and prosecute crimes. It's up to the DA and Benton County's DA didn't proceed.

You seem to be obsessed with this story, yet nobody cares. Why don't you get down there and get to the bottom of it? Come back and let us know when you get the big scoop.