OWH McKweon poses a great question about future.

Ya know I find it funny that over and over it got posted that the problem was Bo and his staff and their coaching being the problem. Now that they have been taken out of the equation, its the fact he didnt recruit the right players or good enough players so he hasnt left Riley much to work with.

Making the excuse that we arent talented enough to win many games in Rileys first year because of Bo's "poor recruiting" is just as bad as the guys (myself included) that blamed conference adjustment and injuries for Bo's lack of success.

Excellent point.

Ya know I find it funny that over and over it got posted that the problem was Bo and his staff and their coaching being the problem. Now that they have been taken out of the equation, its the fact he didnt recruit the right players or good enough players so he hasnt left Riley much to work with.

Making the excuse that we arent talented enough to win many games in Rileys first year because of Bo's "poor recruiting" is just as bad as the guys (myself included) that blamed conference adjustment and injuries for Bo's lack of success.

We will be changing offensive and defensive systems. Expecting to win big in year 1 is a recipe for disappointment. Expecting to win big in the next 3-5 years is realistic and fair.

Bo had 7 seasons to build a championship level program and he couldn't do it. If Riley does the same he will be let go as well.

Theres no way he gets 7 years if we continue 8-4 or worse. The guy said Saturday night the main factor into this being right place and right time was his age. That alone tells me that even if he is successful right away this isnt going to be a 10 year affair. I expect the next OC to be the coach in waiting.

I agree that is unlikely he is here longer than 7 years. Year 1 is a transition year, every coach deserves that honeymoon period. After that the expectations will climb.

Even Bo's honeymoon season was a 9-4 year. That was with great recruits but an iffy system due to the honeymoon period.

Rileys honeymoon season should be at least a 9 win season based on the fact he gets back a lot of guys who should feel more unified than ever and some pretty underrated talent to work with.

Guy has gotten 4 star production out of 2 stars for years, why should we expect anything less than what Bo gave us when Rileys forte is developing talent?

That simply is not true. We have talent, some very good, but not the row after row talent of the major programs. USC played the game with 51 scholarship athletes and were able to beat Nebraska, imagine them with 85 and rolling DL after DL fresh. OL 3 deep at every position that can play close to the first string.

Be realistic in your expectations. We are not at the top teams level. Mostly because we failed to recruit from the top down, we decided to recruit who we thought we could get and let the major programs take the top kids with out a fight. I think that may change some now. The team over in Columbus, has far more talent than Nebraska, they are always going to be a hurdle, with Harbaugh going to Michigan and Franklin at Penn State, it is going to be even tougher.

I think Coach Riley will get us there, not next year or the year after, but down the road a bit. He will be able to recruit to Nebraska, and he has a pretty good eye for talent. He will develop what we have, and he will find diamonds in the rough like the Rodgers brothers.

Just give the man time.

Mike Riley has 3 years. Had we landed a big name coach with proven success there would have been more flexibility. However, we are taking a huge gamble with Riley IMHO. He does not have a history that says he deserves a benefit of the doubt. SE stated we are out to play championship football. He then hired Mike Riley. My expectations have not changed and will not change due to the previous staffs recruiting efforts or the new hire that was made. This program is at the brink....if this hire fails, it will be almost impossible to recover from. At which point our ability to spend "resources" on a proven coach may have passed us by.

I hope I am wrong.

Doesn't have the history? Look how he turned that program around.

Even Bo's honeymoon season was a 9-4 year. That was with great recruits but an iffy system due to the honeymoon period.

Rileys honeymoon season should be at least a 9 win season based on the fact he gets back a lot of guys who should feel more unified than ever and some pretty underrated talent to work with.

Guy has gotten 4 star production out of 2 stars for years, why should we expect anything less than what Bo gave us when Rileys forte is developing talent?

Bo's 1st season wasn't the problem. It's that we didn't get any better over the next 6 years. I'm more interested in Riley getting us to the next level in year 2-5 than what he does in year 1.

• Fire 1

Bo's 1st season wasn't the problem. It's that we didn't get any better over the next 6 years. I'm more interested in Riley getting us to the next level in year 2-5 than what he does in year 1.

Id say his year 1 is pretty important considering we just fired the last guy for winning 9 games. Being a nice guy is wonderful and all but posting a 6-6 record will get the fans to cry pretty quickly.

Id say his year 1 is pretty important considering we just fired the last guy for winning 9 games. Being a nice guy is wonderful and all but posting a 6-6 record will get the fans to cry pretty quickly.

They'll stop crying if we start winning big in year 2. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we win 9+ next year fwiw but I think any coach deserves a pass in his 1st season. Nick Saban went 7-6 in his first season at Bama. It's not about what you do in year 1.

They'll stop crying if we start winning big in year 2. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we win 9+ next year fwiw but I think any coach deserves a pass in his 1st season. Nick Saban went 7-6 in his first season at Bama. It's not about what you do in year 1.

No kidding. But this fanbases lack of championships and thirst for glory has made it clear we expect more. My first post in the thread said how he may fix some of Bo's shortcomings while new ones are realized.

What! What actually did Bo Pelini bring to Nebraska, that wasn't here..........9 wins a year. Look at those wins closely and you will see a cloud of bullish!t. His tenure started when KSU was without Snyder x 2. Colorado was nothing. Iowa ST was struggling, and KU just changed coaches as well. In all honesty, Callahan played much tougher schedule in the Big 12 North than Bo did. Mizzou was the only opponent in the North who had anything. Texas, OU, OSU, Tech, and Baylor were solid, but only Texas and OU were exceptional, but still had issues defeating most of those teams.

Big 10, well by now we all know that the divisions that Nebraska has played in so far, might be the weakest in college football at this point. He has won the games that I think most coaches would have won at Nebraska just based on resources and money, and some talent. He should have steam rolled thru the West division of the Big 10. Steam rolled.

So I fall into those who think that any kind of upgrade at HC, and Staff, will result in 10+ wins a year, and winning games that matter. Really, Pelini was all smoke and mirrors. Won 9 games a season, with talent that should have won 10 + games a year, and yes, enough to win or at least compete in the Conference Champ games without being blown out. I was watching OU tonight, and I do believe the Stoops brothers act is wearing thin as well down there. I watch them throw hats, fits and yell at players on the sidelines as if I was watching Bo again. And guess what, they are getting blown out.

• Fire 2

Riley leaves more coaching prowess in the bowl each morning than what that knuckledragger took to YSU. Any comparisons are laughable.

This is a grossly unfair statement. I am hopeful that Riley will be able to get the job done, but for all his faults, Bo didn't do that bad a job. OU pulls in a better class of talent on a consistent basis, but they finished 8-5 this year and got totally outclassed in there bowl game. In 16 years Stoops has 4 seasons with less than 9 wins. Is he a better coach than Bo. I think that is clearly the case since he also has 7 outright conference titles and 1 shared title. It is not that easy to avoid losing more than 4 games. If he had a better sideline demeanor and a better media and one conference championship, he is probably still here. But, I think it was best for both Bo and Nebraska to part company. I think he pretty clearly fails the Osborne test about something systemic being wrong.

And, again, while I am optimistic about Coach Riley being able to get Nebraska back into the position of being a serious conference championship contender, He has not won any of those either, so saying Riley's turds have more coaching ability than Bo is in fact crap.

Riley leaves more coaching prowess in the bowl each morning than what that knuckledragger took to YSU. Any comparisons are laughable.

This is a grossly unfair statement. I am hopeful that Riley will be able to get the job done, but for all his faults, Bo didn't do that bad a job. OU pulls in a better class of talent on a consistent basis, but they finished 8-5 this year and got totally outclassed in there bowl game. In 16 years Stoops has 4 seasons with less than 9 wins. Is he a better coach than Bo. I think that is clearly the case since he also has 7 outright conference titles and 1 shared title. It is not that easy to avoid losing more than 4 games. If he had a better sideline demeanor and a better media and one conference championship, he is probably still here. But, I think it was best for both Bo and Nebraska to part company. I think he pretty clearly fails the Osborne test about something systemic being wrong.

And, again, while I am optimistic about Coach Riley being able to get Nebraska back into the position of being a serious conference championship contender, He has not won any of those either, so saying Riley's turds have more coaching ability than Bo is in fact crap.

I have forgotten. Where did Bo end up again? A big Power 5 conference right? Oh yeah, a bad FCS program where the President is a known cheat. His one and only offer as far as we know.