New, True Pro Style Offense Vs. Gimmicky Offense Run Now?

I wouldn't call OSU a gimmick offense. What Meyer did the past few years, that has the most in common with Oregon, is recruit team speed. The reason the Big Ten (and the rest of the nation) looked pedestrian compared to the SEC 5-10 years ago was because the SEC really did have a speed advantage over other teams. The gap has not only closed, it was slammed shut the past few years (hence the SEC favoritism is now more hype). TCU and Baylor, same thing...fast! Regardless if an offense lines up in a spread or pro-set, milks the clock or runs hurry-up, speed is hard to cover and can't be taught. Look what an injection of speed from a guy like Pierson El can do at one position. Imagine that type of advantage all over the field. Coming from the Pac-10 and playing against Oregon, MR certainly understand this more than anyone.

I wouldn't call OSU a gimmick offense. What Meyer did the past few years, that has the most in common with Oregon, is recruit team speed. The reason the Big Ten (and the rest of the nation) looked pedestrian compared to the SEC 5-10 years ago was because the SEC really did have a speed advantage over other teams. The gap has not only closed, it was slammed shut the past few years (hence the SEC favoritism is now more hype). TCU and Baylor, same thing...fast! Regardless if an offense lines up in a spread or pro-set, milks the clock or runs hurry-up, speed is hard to cover and can't be taught. Look what an injection of speed from a guy like Pierson El can do at one position. Imagine that type of advantage all over the field. Coming from the Pac-10 and playing against Oregon, MR certainly understand this more than anyone.

+1

OP, It's only gimmicky if you don't understand it.

I've coached the zone read before. It is gimmicky. Why? Because it all depends on the play of one single player. See - Urban Meyer and Mark Helfrich are doing so well with their respective ball clubs because their QB play has been lights out. Only with Meyer, his QB play has been lights out with three different guys (which is why he'll be the national COY). Cardale Jones/JT Barrett have been successful in the passing game, which opens up Elliott in the running game. Helfrich has the Heisman Trophy winner at QB who is extremely effective and very DISCIPLINED with the football. He's thrown, what, four picks this year?

This offense works if the QB is successful, and execution is PHYSICAL at the point of attack. Go back and look at Elliott's long run in the 4th from last night. Receiver got a huge crackback block. Execution and physicality.

I'm assuming Georgia techs offense is gimmicky too.

Tech runs an OPTION offense, not a spread. The option they run is a very physicial type of offense. But yes, if they don't hit the few passes they throw down the field (see the ACC Championship game), then they are behind the 8 ball. But their offense is based on being PHYSICAL at the point of attack.

Gimmick.

DPIwciI.png?1

Five turnovers. Bammer scored 14 off turnovers too. Not saying that game in Pasedena would go any differently if they held on to the football, but Free Shoes been playing with fire all year long.

See above. Here's my point I'm trying to make here. Urban Meyer can run that offense because he recruits to run it, and he KNOWS HOW TO RUN IT. Huskers aren't built that way anymore, and can't recruit that way. When the Huskers were contending for championships, other teams (that were running traditional offenses) saw something. They said, "Hey - Nebraska has made a living on this...those guys may be onto something...?"

So what'd they do? Start recruiting players like that. That's why you have an Oregon, TCU, Florida that are contending for championships. But again, with that being said.....if you're not successful, you can't recruit to that type of player.

Look at the goal-to-go situations for Ohio State in the first half last night. Bammer was slamming the door on them early on. If you can't line up and get 3 to 5 yards from under center, it says something.

I just don't like the style of offense because if you don't have the hosses for it - it lacks a physicality to it when you need it late in a game. That's all.

EDIT:

My argument? Baylor, Auburn, Navy, Arizona, Mississippi State, and yes, Nebraska all run a very similar style of spread offense. All 0-fer. Why? When they needed toughness at a certain point, they only had finesse.

Wisconsin, Alabama, and Stanford are 3 schools that I can think of off the top of my head that run pro style offenses. There is some variation depending on personnel, but for the most part their identity is smashmouth running football.

Does Alabama even have a fullback?

Man, yeah. He was ballin, just like Watt was yesterday for Bucky, too. People just don't notice a fullback, that's all. They just didn't know their offensive coordinator was going to go full retard on em and stop running the ball.

Wisconsin, Alabama, and Stanford are 3 schools that I can think of off the top of my head that run pro style offenses. There is some variation depending on personnel, but for the most part their identity is smashmouth running football.

Man, yeah. He was ballin, just like Watt was yesterday for Bucky, too. People just don't notice a fullback, that's all. They just didn't know their offensive coordinator was going to go full retard on em and stop running the ball.

I know Watt at Wisconsin. I am gonna have to go back and look at Bama. I really dont remember a Fullback.

I've coached the zone read before. It is gimmicky. Why? Because it all depends on the play of one single player. See - Urban Meyer and Mark Helfrich are doing so well with their respective ball clubs because their QB play has been lights out. Only with Meyer, his QB play has been lights out with three different guys (which is why he'll be the national COY). Cardale Jones/JT Barrett have been successful in the passing game, which opens up Elliott in the running game. Helfrich has the Heisman Trophy winner at QB who is extremely effective and very DISCIPLINED with the football. He's thrown, what, four picks this year?

This offense works if the QB is successful, and execution is PHYSICAL at the point of attack. Go back and look at Elliott's long run in the 4th from last night. Receiver got a huge crackback block. Execution and physicality.

Tech runs an OPTION offense, not a spread. The option they run is a very physicial type of offense. But yes, if they don't hit the few passes they throw down the field (see the ACC Championship game), then they are behind the 8 ball. But their offense is based on being PHYSICAL at the point of attack.

Gimmick.

DPIwciI.png?1

Five turnovers. Bammer scored 14 off turnovers too. Not saying that game in Pasedena would go any differently if they held on to the football, but Free Shoes been playing with fire all year long.

See above. Here's my point I'm trying to make here. Urban Meyer can run that offense because he recruits to run it, and he KNOWS HOW TO RUN IT. Huskers aren't built that way anymore, and can't recruit that way. When the Huskers were contending for championships, other teams (that were running traditional offenses) saw something. They said, "Hey - Nebraska has made a living on this...those guys may be onto something...?"

So what'd they do? Start recruiting players like that. That's why you have an Oregon, TCU, Florida that are contending for championships. But again, with that being said.....if you're not successful, you can't recruit to that type of player.

Look at the goal-to-go situations for Ohio State in the first half last night. Bammer was slamming the door on them early on. If you can't line up and get 3 to 5 yards from under center, it says something.

I just don't like the style of offense because if you don't have the hosses for it - it lacks a physicality to it when you need it late in a game. That's all.

EDIT:

My argument? Baylor, Auburn, Navy, Arizona, Mississippi State, and yes, Nebraska all run a very similar style of spread offense. All 0-fer. Why? When they needed toughness at a certain point, they only had finesse.

FYI....

My comment was sarcasm. What everyone is talking about is simply different systems. What you have pointed out is the fact that any system is successful if you recruit good talent to run it.

The word gimmicky is simply used to describe an offense someone doesn't like. Every successful offense is based on doing something well that sets up the rest. There is nothing gimmicky about that.

I know Watt at Wisconsin. I am gonna have to go back and look at Bama. I really dont remember a Fullback.

Here we go:

post-10672-0-61189400-1420212623_thumb.jpg

And next (zone blocking, same play):

post-10672-0-38054300-1420212772_thumb.jpg

Result?

post-10672-0-03174700-1420212853_thumb.jpg

Gimmick.

DPIwciI.png?1

EDIT:

FYI....

My comment was sarcasm. What everyone is talking about is simply different systems. What you have pointed out is the fact that any system is successful if you recruit good talent to run it.

The word gimmicky is simply used to describe an offense someone doesn't like. Every successful offense is based on doing something well that sets up the rest. There is nothing gimmicky about that.

LOL - no probs. I call it offense when you plan to run it. When you run it cause you see someone else do it (and you aren't true to who you need to be), then I call it gimmicky.

Here we go:

attachicon.gifFullback.jpg

And next (zone blocking, same play):

attachicon.gifFullback2.jpg

Result?

attachicon.gifResult.jpg

Yep you are right. Man I just didn't notice.

Funny thing about running an offense - when you stick with it, and it's working, run it. Not true to it, find different ways to stick with it and make it work? Disaster.

Point in case:

post-10672-0-20318500-1420213417_thumb.jpg

Lane Kiffin starts to panic and decides to go with dual back guns. Runs his fullback out into the flats, keeps Yeldon in for protection. Luke Fickell zone blitzes, drops Miller into coverage:

post-10672-0-23745800-1420213710_thumb.jpg

Miller was out in the flat to cover because the fullback came out. Bammer has been best this year running the ball and if passing, throwing screens, and obviously getting Cooper the ball. This was a play that was noticable to me because of the confusion ON the play prior to the snap. I just knew that Saban would call a timeout on this play. He didn't. Result?

post-10672-0-59530800-1420213962_thumb.jpg

Meyer was getting big runs, but no scores. He didn't panic - he stuck to it and BLAM! Elliott is player of the game with two plus bills.

Just be true to who you are on the field. Are we Nebraska, or Ohio State/Oregon? Be who we are - run what we can, and execute it to perfection. Do that and not too many teams can stop you, no matter who you are.

agree, Beck was ate up trying to be Oregon.....we had nowhere near the personnel to get there.....so he became schiz-o in his play calling and we had no identity or offensive philosophy at all.

Yeah, running more plays on the stat sheet means absolutely JACK and S**T when you aren't scoring. Did it help to change tempo? Yep.

USC has played against up-tempo before. Against some team in the upper Northwestern states somewhere....

My overriding point? If you're going to run this (what I call) gimmicky type stuff - then stick with just that. Recruit to it. Run it to PERFECTION. But you'd better have a plan to get up under center and smack a mofo in the mouth when you need a few yards.

I think we ran an offense like Oregon with the spread but with just less tempo and of course did not execute like Oregon does. I think the pro set with Riley is going to benefit Nebraska with good quarterback play.

Ask Bucky what they think of their offense. Their QB was horrendous yesterday (cept for the last two possessions they had). And they still won the game.

If Cardale Jones has a terrible game, the Buckeyes don't win that game.