2015 NFL Playoffs

Mavric

Watching the news this morning and they were comparing Spygate and Ballghazi/Deflategate with the Patriots lining up with a tackle eligible against the Ravens.

They even said "a legal formation" and showed John Harbaugh whining about how it's "deception"

Isn't that the whole freaking point of a formation like that?! That sh#t isn't even close to the same as spying on an opponent or doctoring balls!!

:ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh

After hearing that this happened during the regular season and the league even know about it going into the AFC Championship, this is systemic cheating. Did the balls have affect the outcome of this game? Probably not. Did the fact they did this in other games affect their chances at going 12-4 and obtaining home field advantage? Hmmm.

I can buy Belichick's claims that he has never bothered with the game ball operation and where they come from. It fits with what he ostensibly preaches to his players -- you go do your job with whatever's out there.

The point of emphasis about overinflating the balls from the 12.5 minimum is BS, though. The issue isn't "margin of error", or a 12.5 psi ball going down to 12.3. They were at 10.5, all of them.

Something is smelling very rotten there and I think we all want to find out why.

Rich Fisher (an avid Patriots fan, apparently) tweeted this ESPN Sports Science piece which, among other things, claims that a football exposed to 10 degree F temperatures for an hour loses 20% of its psi, compared to room temperature. From 12.5 to 10.5 is a 16% drop, although it wasn't that cold that day.

I don't think we have anything in the way of official reports yet, but it's been stated that the balls were initially approved I believe a couple of hours before the game (and probably done indoors). I guess that begs the question of why the Colts' balls checked out, but perhaps they were inflated to different initial levels, stored in different temperatures in the interim (indoor, outdoor?), or perhaps even simply, the Colts' balls weren't checked. I haven't read everything on the topic, but something from Peter King this morning that mentioned this seems to be assuming that the Colts' balls must have been.

The alternative explanation of course would have to be far more nefarious.

(I'd probably post less about this overall or in less ambiguous language if I were more mature. But I'm not. :D)

Rich Fisher (an avid Patriots fan, apparently) tweeted this ESPN Sports Science piece which, among other things, claims that a football exposed to 10 degree F temperatures for an hour loses 20% of its psi, compared to room temperature. From 12.5 to 10.5 is a 16% drop, although it wasn't that cold that day.I don't think we have anything in the way of official reports yet, but it's been stated that the balls were initially approved I believe a couple of hours before the game (and probably done indoors). I guess that begs the question of why the Colts' balls checked out, but perhaps they were inflated to different initial levels, stored in different temperatures in the interim (indoor, outdoor?), or perhaps even simply, the Colts' balls weren't checked. I haven't read everything on the topic, but something from Peter King this morning that mentioned this seems to be assuming that the Colts' balls must have been.The alternative explanation of course would have to be far more nefarious.(I'd probably post less about this overall or in less ambiguous language if I were more mature. But I'm not. :D)

PV=mRT baby! In theory the balls should re-pressurize when brought back to room temp though.

I loved how Bill and Tom kept saying balls and then correcting to football the whole time, like they were intentionally playing around with the innuendo.

I am so sick of hearing about this issue.

However, something just dawned on me. If I were the head of marketing for a company that was buying TV advertising during the Super Bowl, I would create one heck of a funny commercial showing some funny conspiracy to deflate footballs during games.

It would be an instant hit.

Maybe have Dr. Pepper show some how the Dr. Pepper sales man that has been in so many ads accidentally deflated 11 balls while doing something he wasn't supposed to do and then show some really funny reason why one wasn't deflated.