If we lose 4 games, I hope this board

Those were rebuilding projects dvdccrr. Of programs who were pretty much in the gutter in regards to their place in CFB history and expectations of fans and alumni. This is NOT a rebuilding project here. Its already been restabilized to a degree. There is a gods plenty sufficient talent to be successful right away. At the very worst, 4 losses could happen. But in reality, a 10 to 11 win regular season should be a pretty standard expectation.

There is no way the huskers win 10-11 games next year with a completely new staff and it is wholly unrealistic, unfair to expect this. The record the first year is not really important. What is important is did they get better through the course of the season. The second half of the season should have better win/loss than the first half.

I want them to win 11 but I also wanted a corvette for Christmas. It aint happenin'

I wouldn't say there's "no way" the Huskers win 10-11 games but it is pretty unreasonable to expect that. It would be a nice surprise, sure. We haven't won 11 games here since when? 2001? No way in hell is an 11 win season just a " standard expectation" with a complete overhaul in coaching staff. If we haven't done it in fourteen years, it's unreasonable to just expect it in year one.

Now I certainly expect to see an improved football team by the end of the season. I expect to see that 11 win season in year two or three for sure. If we aren't improving on the 9-10 wins of the previous staff then theres not a whole lot of point to this. Year one just seems like that's asking a lot. If they pull it off I would really give them a lot of credit.

When was the last time any big ten team switched complete coaching staff and won 11 games. Go ahead I will wait.

what difference does that make?

Ohio st 2012 and Michigan 2011 by the way. Better put your big boy pants on when you mess with the human cyclopedia.

Ohio St. kept Fickel so half the team was not affected. What kind of pants?

When was the last time any big ten team switched complete coaching staff and won 11 games. Go ahead I will wait.

Ohio st 2012 and Michigan 2011 by the way. Better put your big boy pants on when you mess with the human cyclopedia.

and we're keeping Warren. Before having to be the interim, Fickell was dline coach. Its one guy of a staff of ten.

Are you gonna answer my question now ir continue to dance around it with this irrelevant bullsh#t.

Those were rebuilding projects dvdccrr. Of programs who were pretty much in the gutter in regards to their place in CFB history and expectations of fans and alumni. This is NOT a rebuilding project here. Its already been restabilized to a degree. There is a gods plenty sufficient talent to be successful right away. At the very worst, 4 losses could happen. But in reality, a 10 to 11 win regular season should be a pretty standard expectation.

There is no way the huskers win 10-11 games next year with a completely new staff and it is wholly unrealistic, unfair to expect this. The record the first year is not really important. What is important is did they get better through the course of the season. The second half of the season should have better win/loss than the first half.

I want them to win 11 but I also wanted a corvette for Christmas. It aint happenin'

I wouldn't say there's "no way" the Huskers win 10-11 games but it is pretty unreasonable to expect that. It would be a nice surprise, sure. We haven't won 11 games here since when? 2001? No way in hell is an 11 win season just a " standard expectation" with a complete overhaul in coaching staff. If we haven't done it in fourteen years, it's unreasonable to just expect it in year one.

Now I certainly expect to see an improved football team by the end of the season. I expect to see that 11 win season in year two or three for sure. If we aren't improving on the 9-10 wins of the previous staff then theres not a whole lot of point to this. Year one just seems like that's asking a lot. If they pull it off I would really give them a lot of credit.

first off True, my exact words were "10 to 11 wins". I only say that cuz one, look at our sched like i asked this dvd character to do, remembering that the tests of wisconsin and sparty are at home with new coaches and DC. And two, Bo won 10 regular season games twice, and 9 twice, as erratic and crazy as it was. So its fine to expect it with what should no doubt be improved coaching and development. Where in our sched can you guarantee 3 losses preventing a 10 win reg.? Thats really my point that atarted all this. We dont have to wait for Riley to get these players to run that system. We have the talent in place to win significantly now.

And lastly, dont confuse my expecting 10+ wins with demanding or requiring.

doesnt jump on the "fire riley" bandwagon and go all out anger mode. I honestly do not see that much talent on the Nebraska roster. Qb's are still unproven, Cross/newby are average, Westerncamp is a very good WR but I feel like the others are unproven (pierson el looks legit), cethan carter looks like he'll be a good TE, our returning starters from the oline are inconsistent, our Dline will be good, lb's are still not very good and im not too impressed with the talent in the secondary. I dont know if it was because of the scheme or what but i just feel like we dont have the talent to be only an 1 or 2 loss team. I have a feeling ill come under fire for this opinion but oh well!

He was right about one thing at least...

first off True, my exact words were "10 to 11 wins". I only say that cuz one, look at our sched like i asked this dvd character to do, remembering that the tests of wisconsin and sparty are at home with new coaches and DC. And two, Bo won 10 regular season games twice, and 9 twice, as erratic and crazy as it was. So its fine to expect it with what should no doubt be improved coaching and development. Where in our sched can you guarantee 3 losses preventing a 10 win reg.? Thats really my point that atarted all this. We dont have to wait for Riley to get these players to run that system. We have the talent in place to win significantly now.

And lastly, dont confuse my expecting 10+ wins with demanding or requiring.

I can't guarantee anything really. I can't guarantee three losses, less than three, or more. I'm not quite sure what to expect. I wouldn't expect us to fall off our nine wins standard. I guess I wouldn't be surprised with losses to Wisconsin and Michigan St.

I don't really take issue with expecting an improved win loss record with what is easily an overall improved coaching staff. I just think expectations on a first season are hard to gauge, that's all. The whole "standard expectation" thing is a tricky way to put it. I don't know if there is a standard expectation you can put on an entirely new staff in their first year. I don't expect miracles, but I don't expect them to lose to these walk over teams we have been ale to beat on a regular basis under the old staff. 11 wins would almost be miraculous IMO. Like I said, if we do that, I think the team and coaches would deserve a ton of credit.

I'll try not to confuse your "expectations" with your ultimatums. I can appreciate that you didn't come off that way, but it's hard to tell around here anymore. Many posters here seem to be doing just that. Laying down "ultimatums" for the new staff. I see the term " they better" do this, or "they better" do that so frequently around here.

We really have no idea what the team fells Count. The positive side says they will bounce back from the infection removal, and we know there was quite a bit of it. Look at Texas, Charlie Strong cut a whole lot of talent out of the heart of Texas. will that be needed here? WE just do not know.

Have any of you heard the kids give resounding support for Coach Riley yet? I am unaware one way or another.

Coaches do not win ball games, kids with great expectations, drive, when games. Too soon to know what we have

I just do not want us to expect to much, be happy with what we do get from this team and staff. The next month will tell us who the warriors are. Those that want to be Huskers for who ever is leading them. The staff will need to focus on those kids. Not unusal for a bunch of top kids to leave in a firey situation like this one.

Most important is the fans being positive, the kids need to hear It and the coaches neeed to hear it. That we are on their side period.

and we're keeping Warren. Before having to be the interim, Fickell was dline coach. Its one guy of a staff of ten.

Are you gonna answer my question now ir continue to dance around it with this irrelevant bullsh#t.

You can take your irrelevant question and go for a hike.

The point is 10-11 wins first year with new staff is almost unheard of and not a fair expectation. You say its reasonable based on the schedule. Football isnt plug and play like your playstation my friend. It takes time to tear down before you rebuild. It takes time (at least 6 games or so) for the players to understand what new coaches want. You want 10 wins. Hell we all do. But i'd be happier finishing the season 7-0 after having four losses than finishing with three straight losses. Its how you finish that matters. Its a process.

You can take your irrelevant question and go for a hike.

The point is 10-11 wins first year with new staff is almost unheard of and not a fair expectation. You say its reasonable based on the schedule. Football isnt plug and play like your playstation my friend. It takes time to tear down before you rebuild. It takes time (at least 6 games or so) for the players to understand what new coaches want. You want 10 wins. Hell we all do. But i'd be happier finishing the season 7-0 after having four losses than finishing with three straight losses. Its how you finish that matters. Its a process.

Why is it not fair? Why can Michigan and Ohio St each do it in the last 4 seasons but Nebraska cant? Yeah, I expect it. But like I said to True, Im not gonna go all pissy if it doesnt happen. I understand the process of a coaching change and all. But my point remains. Looking at the schedule, you cant go through and say "yeah, this game, this game, and this game will most certainly be losses". 8-4 wont surprise. 11-1 wont either. And I expect 10-2 really as a baseline. Obviously we'll know more probably after the first game where the team stands mentally, as skersfan has preached, and I've also alluded to as well. That's the most daunting task. Accomplishing a total team buy in without much attrition. Scheme wise and philosophy wise, we'll be fine. The experience of these coaches will allow them to devise schemes around the guys we have. And who knows, maybe the players already here will fit Riley's overall plan better than what Bo was trying to do. Lord knows numerous guys werent being used properly. it showed.

doesnt jump on the "fire riley" bandwagon and go all out anger mode. I honestly do not see that much talent on the Nebraska roster. Qb's are still unproven, Cross/newby are average, Westerncamp is a very good WR but I feel like the others are unproven (pierson el looks legit), cethan carter looks like he'll be a good TE, our returning starters from the oline are inconsistent, our Dline will be good, lb's are still not very good and im not too impressed with the talent in the secondary. I dont know if it was because of the scheme or what but i just feel like we dont have the talent to be only an 1 or 2 loss team. I have a feeling ill come under fire for this opinion but oh well!

This is a joke, right?

Cant spell his name correctly? Westerkamp.

But to answer your question: No, i dont think people will freak out. It takes time to fix things and do things your way. That being said, I dont think they should lose 4 games with the talent they have and the schedule.

Not a cake-walk but should be able to get wins over:

BYU

South Alabama

Southern Miss

Illinous

Northwestern

Purdue

Rutgers

Iowa

Toss up games:

Miami

Minnesota

Losses:

Wisconsin

Michigan State

8-4 at worst

10-2 at best

Did you watch BYU this year? Toss up in my opinion.

Sat, Sept 6

2-0

Sat, Sept 20Sat, Nov 29

Did you watch BYU play or are you just looking at box scores. You obviously didn't see their QB break his lower leg badly. It was a very similar break to Matt Herian's. I really doubt he comes back and is 100% next year and definitely not by the first game. They weren't even close to the same team after he went out.

Have any of you heard the kids give resounding support for Coach Riley yet? I am unaware one way or another.

i was talking with 1 of the players at a basketball game. during a break in the action i asked him what he thought of Riley. he said "We like him". i didn't press for any deeper explanation..i didn't want to press to far.....but i am encouraged that he said "we" and not "i" we talking about Riley.

Who would fire a coach with 4 losses in their first year? Can we close this thread? It's just dumb.

I doubt Riley would even be on the hot seat after year one with only four loses. When I looked at the schedule next year I did see about 5 possible loses (BYU, Miami, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Minnesota). Winning two of these games would be a good year for Mike (assuming he doesn't lose the games he should win).

The bar is very high at NU, just ask SE.