Riley: WRs job still open; Ron Brown not joining staff

Wow! That's not what we've been hearing! We were hearing that Riley DID offer him a spot but he turned him down. How disappointing! :(

I don't think it's a stretch to think people making hires always try to make it look like they got their first choice.

Also possible that it was always rumor/conjecture about Brown being offered a spot, though.

If it isn't, then, certainly it's something that some people seem to know about and others don't.

Though it wouldn't be too surprising. Riley's preferences in his assistants so far has been very heavy on coaching, rather than recruiting. Unless it's a recruiting or fit issue, it makes sense to want Brown back. And Brown has been on the verge of retirement for a few years.

I stand by my comment. I can find nothing substantive on HuskerOnline other than the same rumor floating on their forums. I can't seem to find anything resembling reporting on the subject from from Callahan or anyone else. Until I can see something beyond message board chatter, it's a fantasy as far as I'm concerned.

It is possible that it is located in parts that you don't have access to.

Is there some super secret section that my rivals access cannot see?

And Bo kept Watson.

I'm cool with Riley making his own hires.

I thought Osborne hired Watson, Cotton and a couple others before Bo got here? Maybe I have my timeline incorrect on which coach was hired when but I'm pretty sure Osborne did in fact hire some of the coaches that formed Pelini's staff.

And Bo kept Watson.

I thought Osborne hired Watson, Cotton and a couple others before Bo got here? Maybe I have my timeline incorrect on which coach was hired when but I'm pretty sure Osborne did in fact hire some of the coaches that formed Pelini's staff.

I think Osborne just advised Bo to keep Watson, because the offense was in a good place, and it provided some kind of continuity within the team.... Remember, the season before Ganz was coming off those huge games (500+ passing yard games), so it seemed like a good idea at the time.

And Bo kept Watson.

I think Osborne just advised Bo to keep Watson, because the offense was in a good place, and it provided some kind of continuity within the team.... Remember, the season before Ganz was coming off those huge games (500+ passing yard games), so it seemed like a good idea at the time.

You are correct. Osborne recommended to Bo that Watson and Gilmore be retained from BC's staff for the reasons you mentioned. Osborne didn't go out and hire them off the street before Bo could bring in his own guys.

Watson and Gilmore -- especially Wats -- were supposedly *STRONG* recommendations, but I don't know if any of us have a way of knowing.

Cotton as far as I know was 100% Bo's choice. I even remember hearing scuttlebutt about some other guys whom Bo could've gone after, who might've been interested, but Bo wanted Cotton (with whom he had worked in 2003). And for every one of the next six seasons it was Bo's call to keep him.

Cotton went out on a high, though. Repped NU well in the bowl game. Good on him. Lifelong Husker, except for that unfortunate "Real Big Red" moment.

less experience means more success?

Let's go slower this time:

The length of time spent doing something doesn't always lead to greater success in doing that task. For example, I have been swimming a lot longer than Michael Phelps, but he swims better, so he made those Olympic teams and not me.

I hope this clarifies...

You do realize the new RB coach has more experience coaching RB's than Ron Brown does right? [/size]

We also realize that more experience doesn't mean more success, right?

To recap, paraphrasing...

A: "Disappointing that Brown asked to be RBs or WRs coach, especially given RB coach Davis's lack of experience coaching RBs."

B: "Davis has more experience coaching RBs than Brown."

C: "So what, B? Experience is irrelevant."

Aside from the obvious point that B was merely correcting A, I think we can also agree that while Michael Phelps is demonstrably a better swimmer than all of us by far, it's completely subjective whether Brown is a better RBs coach than Davis. Isn't Davis considered one of the most promising hires on the staff? I think some of us are determined to be disappointed.

• Fire 1

You do realize the new RB coach has more experience coaching RB's than Ron Brown does right? [/size]

We also realize that more experience doesn't mean more success, right?

To recap, paraphrasing...

A: "Disappointing that Brown asked to be RBs or WRs coach, especially given RB coach Davis's lack of experience coaching RBs."

B: "Davis has more experience coaching RBs than Brown."

C: "So what, B? Experience is irrelevant."

Aside from the obvious point that B was merely correcting A, I think we can also agree that while Michael Phelps is demonstrably a better swimmer than all of us by far, it's completely subjective whether Brown is a better RBs coach than Davis. Isn't Davis considered one of the most promising hires on the staff? I think some of us are determined to be disappointed.

I've been getting that feeling too Zoogs. There was far too much, "We want Frost" sentiment before the Riley hire.

T_O_B

Watson and Gilmore -- especially Wats -- were supposedly *STRONG* recommendations, but I don't know if any of us have a way of knowing.

Cotton as far as I know was 100% Bo's choice. I even remember hearing scuttlebutt about some other guys whom Bo could've gone after, who might've been interested, but Bo wanted Cotton (with whom he had worked in 2003). And for every one of the next six seasons it was Bo's call to keep him.

Cotton went out on a high, though. Repped NU well in the bowl game. Good on him. Lifelong Husker, except for that unfortunate "Real Big Red" moment.

I would go as far as to say Cotton looked like he might make a better head coach than position coach, just by what we saw over the bowl prep and game.

I would go as far as to say Cotton looked like he might make a better head coach than position coach, just by what we saw over the bowl prep and game.
That's not a stretch to say. Some guys are more big picture and excel at the administrative side of being a head coach, rather than the minute details of being a position coach.