Trev Alberts: All-American, Academic All-American, Butkus Award winner, makes the CFHOF

Mavric

Congrats to Trev. He played a great '94 Orange Bowl and I still believe that if the refs hadn't baby sat Charlie Ward throughout the game Nebraska would have won the first of three National Championships in a row.

T_O_B

They would have, not to mention the bad luck of half the team catching the flu right before the first Big 12 CCG. (Minus Farley's suspension for his indiscretions the night before) It really could have been 5 in a row.

Who was a better LB Trev Alberts or Barrett Ruud

Alberts.

He singlehandedly shut down an entire football team's offense since 2011.

In a more serious note, I was more disgusted that Trev Alberts let recruits sign letters of intent while he knew football and wrestling were on the chopping block than the actual cutting of the programs. He let the coaches, athletes, and recruits make plans for a future he knew they weren't going to have.

HOWEVER: As some here have stated, the College Football Hall of Fame is for great football players, not great human beings, so he deserves to get in on that standard.

Sorry I read this post but this is one Husker player I wish never wore red. Totally disgusting what he did to Mike Denny former UNO wrestling coach. As they were celebrating there 3rd national title in a row Trev gives him a call and cuts the wrestling program. Scum Bag with no class is all I can say. Oh by the way Maryvillve University decides to take a chance on Mike Denny and have him coach a brand new wrestling team they started. Last weekend Mike Denny won another Division 2 national dual wrestling championship. Hopefully Trev Alberts goes away for good.

• Fire 1

Sorry I read this post but this is one Husker player I wish never wore red. Totally disgusting what he did to Mike Denny former UNO wrestling coach. As they were celebrating there 3rd national title in a row Trev gives him a call and cuts the wrestling program. Scum Bag with no class is all I can say. Oh by the way Maryvillve University decides to take a chance on Mike Denny and have him coach a brand new wrestling team they started. Last weekend Mike Denny won another Division 2 national dual wrestling championship. Hopefully Trev Alberts goes away for good.

Wow. Arent you just a ray of sunshine.

Agree, Trev branded himself a classless coward for the way he handled that situation.

Agree, Trev branded himself a classless coward for the way he handled that situation.

Trev probably could have handled the communication with Coach Denny better, but the guy had to make a tough decision for the long-term viability of the entire athletic program and the University. From what I see going on at UN-Omaha from afar, it seems like the athletic program is doing fairly well since the move to D-1. Their basketball, baseball, and volleyball programs are winning. They have a new on-campus arena being built, and the University seems to be in great shape to move forward as a solid alternative to UNL.

Trev probably could have handled the communication with Coach Denny better, but the guy had to make a tough decision for the long-term viability of the entire athletic program and the University. From what I see going on at UN-Omaha from afar, it seems like the athletic program is doing fairly well since the move to D-1. Their basketball, baseball, and volleyball programs are winning. They have a new on-campus arena being built, and the University seems to be in great shape to move forward as a solid alternative to UNL.

Huh. Logic. Nice.

Agree. I bet even Trev probably sits back and agrees that he wishes he could have handled it better. Live and learn. Sounds like the coach has moved on and is successful. I'm sure the kids were hurt but I'm sure they have moved on.

I'm not going to judge anyone based on one act like this without knowing the exact reasons why it was done a certain way.

Still not fully understanding why he wasn't introduced last night with the rest of the HOF class. That was frustrating.

Huh. Logic. Nice.

Fantastic for those sports, but I'd be willing to bet none of them will ever put UNO on the map the way the wrestling program did.

Huh. Logic. Nice.

Fantastic for those sports, but I'd be willing to bet none of them will ever put UNO on the map the way the wrestling program did.
Nothing to take from the wrestling program and their success, but nobody outside UNO fans knew about it. Also, a typical undergrad isn't going to choose UNO because they have a good wrestling program. Now, if UNO makes the big dance in a few years (which is possible) that could definitely boost enrollment for the average student.

I understood cutting football with the leap to D-1 it was going to be really, really hard with Title IX plus the conference they play in. It's hard for me to be impartial on the wrestling issue since I wrestled, my coaches in HS were UNO wrestlers and I have a lot of friends/acquaintances that wrestled for UNO. I can't believe they didn't give Denney a shot at making the program self funded. They could've done it. With that being said, I have no desire to go back and re-hash that argument as it was brutal.

I agree with what a previous poster said, as a college football player, Trev Alberts absolutely belongs. As a man, I don't care for him.