The Big Ten is back, despite including the Big Ten West

Saunders

Ohio St, probably not. But please explain what Michigan has that we dont. Does Michigan have a sh#t ton of instate talent? I guess I really dont know. Obviously it's more than Nebraska, cuz that's not saying much, but to me there doesnt seem to be this perception that Michigan is some recruiting hotbed. I'm sick of the perception that Michigan can do so much better recruiting than Nebraska.

You can't just look at the home state's population and say that's that. The surrounding population near Michigan is way bigger. They get a lot of recruits from Ohio.

Nebraska borders Iowa, North Dakota, Kansas.

You forget Missouri though

I didn't forget it. I didn't mention it but I've actually gone and added up the populations from surroundig states for different teams before and Nebraska's is way smaller. I think I did it for Michigan. (I seem to recall they have 8 million people but I don't want to look it up).

Ohio St, probably not. But please explain what Michigan has that we dont. Does Michigan have a sh#t ton of instate talent? I guess I really dont know. Obviously it's more than Nebraska, cuz that's not saying much, but to me there doesnt seem to be this perception that Michigan is some recruiting hotbed. I'm sick of the perception that Michigan can do so much better recruiting than Nebraska.

You can't just look at the home state's population and say that's that. The surrounding population near Michigan is way bigger. They get a lot of recruits from Ohio.

But what's the draw? Climates similar. Current prestige of the program is, well, equal I guess.

Probably just my bias. But I guess I just dont see what Michigan has to sell. Why cant we compete with those guys in recruiting? Everyone just seems to write us off.

Michigan's 500 mile radius vs ours is much different...

4 & 5 * guys signed by the B1G

5omT9yV.jpg

4 & 5 * guys signed by Power 5

2jhq8Pz.jpg

Data is from here: http://www.cornnation.com/2014/2/12/5404912/college-football-recruits-2002-2014-map-location

I added the radius overlays.

• Fire 1

But what's the draw? Climates similar. Current prestige of the program is, well, equal I guess.

Probably just my bias. But I guess I just dont see what Michigan has to sell. Why cant we compete with those guys in recruiting? Everyone just seems to write us off.

Michigan's 500 mile radius vs ours is much different...

4 & 5 * guys signed by the B1G

5omT9yV.jpg

4 & 5 * guys signed by Power 5

2jhq8Pz.jpg

Data is from here: http://www.cornnation.com/2014/2/12/5404912/college-football-recruits-2002-2014-map-location

I added the radius overlays.

This is what I'm talking about. Even within that 500 mile radius there are a ton of recruits available to us, but we have got very few of them. (we haven't even tried for 7-8 years, especially if the "deal" with stoops was true concerning OK) Auburn is killing it in the southern section.

Not to mention you expand that 500 mile radius to 650-700 miles that includes a SIGNIFICANT number of good players available to Nebraska. In other words quit with the "Nebraska can't get players, there aren't any within driving distance, woe is me attitude"

I don't think anyone is saying Nebraska can't get good recruits. What we're saying is that year in and year out Ohio State and Michigan will normally have a recruiting class ranked higher than we do. It was happening back when TO was the coach. How many top 10 recruiting classes did TO have again? It doesn't mean we can't win anything of any significance. It just means we're going to have to follow the blueprint of KState and Michigan State where we outwork other programs and find those right program players.

One of the biggest reasons Big Game Bob is having problems down in Norman is because of work ethic. He left KState because Snyder demanded hours he wasn't willing to put into the program. He went to Florida where Spurrier was significantly more laid back and the hours were significantly less. This work ethic worked down at OU when most of the Big 12 South sucked. When the likes of Baylor, TCU, Texas, etc. all got significantly better; recruiting became harder. This is when OU lost their grip on the Big 12.

i always thought i lived in south dakota?

There is no South Dakota.

south dakota state of mind.

I wonder what the perception wouldve been if Ohio St woulda beat Wisconsin by 7, and still went on to win the national title. Seems they forget that Michigan is garbage. Penn St is garbage even with new coach. That Minnesota almost beat Ohio St. That Nebraska almost beat Michigan St. Seems their comparison of the East to the West is much like that of the SEC to the rest of the country. While most wont argue it's better, the gap isnt that wide. And there's a lot of assuming that Franklin and Harbaugh will be major successes, and that Riley wont.

Had Ohio St. only beaten Wisconsin by 7 they never would have had a chance to play for the NC. They wouldn't have leaped TCU.

The projection is based mostly on Harbaugh.

...and South Dakota, Wyoming, and Colorado. :dunno

I didn't forget it. I didn't mention it but I've actually gone and added up the populations from surroundig states for different teams before and Nebraska's is way smaller. I think I did it for Michigan. (I seem to recall they have 8 million people but I don't want to look it up).

And a great Pawn shop.

I don't think anyone is saying Nebraska can't get good recruits. What we're saying is that year in and year out Ohio State and Michigan will normally have a recruiting class ranked higher than we do. It was happening back when TO was the coach. How many top 10 recruiting classes did TO have again? It doesn't mean we can't win anything of any significance. It just means we're going to have to follow the blueprint of KState and Michigan State where we outwork other programs and find those right program players.

One of the biggest reasons Big Game Bob is having problems down in Norman is because of work ethic. He left KState because Snyder demanded hours he wasn't willing to put into the program. He went to Florida where Spurrier was significantly more laid back and the hours were significantly less. This work ethic worked down at OU when most of the Big 12 South sucked. When the likes of Baylor, TCU, Texas, etc. all got significantly better; recruiting became harder. This is when OU lost their grip on the Big 12.

There are a lot of really good high school players who go unnoticed.