Husker Satellite Camps

OK....over signing is a major issue that needs to be resolved. However, there are OTHER HUGE issues that need to go along with this that....honestly, I think are even bigger than just the over signing. Hopefully Delaney understands that.

I absolutely love it that the Big Ten has (possibly unknowingly) caused such a stir that it's creating these discussions.

To me, it is very clear these SEC coaches know they have major advantages and they are a little concerned things are going to change.

The Big Ten has been a trendsetter behind the controversial "satellite camps" that have been popping up throughout the country, and commissioner Jim Delany said Wednesday he's willing to have a national discussion about it -- as long as the entire subject of recruiting is the focus, not just the camps.

"I don't view it as a satellite camp," Delany said at the College Football Playoff spring meetings. "I view it as permissible practice. It's permissible. I don't think it's objectionable. I've never thought about it as objectionable. I think there are some things that are out there that are practices or that are legal that are probably far more objectionable than this."
"All of these things are interrelated," he said. "Access to players, early access to players, early signing date, over-signing, flipping -- this is all part and parcel of a very difficult area to regulate. What I would object to is identifying any single practice in an isolated way and focusing on that. What I would be open to is an on-the-bus overall view of recruitment, whether it's in basketball or football, to make sure there's balance on access."
NCAA bylaws state that football programs must host camps on campus, inside their state or within a 50-mile radius of campus. A loophole allows coaches to "guest coach" or work another school's camp in order to circumvent the 50-mile radius.

Link

How do the host schools benefit? By the bigger schools drawing more potential recruits to their camp? Or do the bigger schools pay them?

I've always thought it was a situation where a smaller DII school hosts a school like Nebraska. They both know that top talent will be there along with kids that probably aren't Div 1 talent. So, both schools have an audience at the camp and (for the most part) they aren't competing over the same players.

While Satellite camps are good for most B1G schools, the real threat to SEC coaches are kids in their footprint being able to visit schools in the north earlier with their parents. There's no substitute for kids and their parents visiting a campus and forming their own opinion. Can guarantee that most SEC coaches don't want that.

While Satellite camps are good for most B1G schools, the real threat to SEC coaches are kids in their footprint being able to visit schools in the north earlier with their parents. There's no substitute for kids and their parents visiting a campus and forming their own opinion. Can guarantee that most SEC coaches don't want that.

If that happens the playing field becomes level and the North will rise in football again simply based on $$$$ and program support

If that happens the playing field becomes level and the North will rise in football again simply based on $$$$ and program support

And, that is needed for long term health of the sport.