LS Grant Gluhaich [California Commit]

Mavric

Riley employs a full time special teams coach because he puts a high value on that part of the game.

Oregon St was ranked #55 in Special Teams Efficiencies this year, link. Hopefully, that value he puts on ST becomes tangible at Nebraska, which was ranked #2 in the same index this year.

And the coaching staff thought it was important too, they had a LS on scholarship. Investing in the best most reliable players at these positions pays off.

I am all for having a rock solid long snapper for the next 4 season.

And we could get that for free for the next 3 years with Faulkenberry. Miller was picked up in a year when LS was a position of need. I can't say that now.

BTW, Gluhaich is unsized.

Riley employs a full time special teams coach because he puts a high value on that part of the game.

Oregon St was ranked #55 in Special Teams Efficiencies this year, link. Hopefully, that value he puts on ST becomes tangible at Nebraska, which was ranked #2 in the same index this year.

And the coaching staff thought it was important too, they had a LS on scholarship. Investing in the best most reliable players at these positions pays off.

I am all for having a rock solid long snapper for the next 4 season.

And we could get that for free for the next 3 years with Faulkenberry. Miller was picked up in a year when LS was a position of need. I can't say that now.

BTW, Gluhaich is unsized.

This is where I am. If we had issues this year, by all means. But what if he gets here and can't beat out Faulkenberry? You either have a "wasted" scholly for three years or have two scholarship LS because it would be odd for the backup to be on scholly but the starter not.

Agreeing with the above.

You're paying a coach nearly half a million dollars to be only a ST coach. For that amount of money, he should be finding Joe Schmo from the NW portion of North Dakota to walk-on here and be our long snapper for 4 years. In a year where we will not have a big class, the last thing we need to be doing is using a scholarship on a LS.

Give a kid a greyshirt opportunity if need be. Tell him if in 2-3 years he proves his worth to the program, then there may be a scholarship available for him at that time.

Said it's down to Nebraska and Cal. Basically scholarship vs. distance, I'm assuming.

Interesting that every story that comes up he gets "better." First one I saw, he was #12 in the country according to the guy he worked with. Then he was "Top 10". The latest one I saw was Top 2 or 3.

Size doesn't really matter in long snapping. We had a long snapper in college who has a torn acl all season. So he would just snap the ball and then basically lay down. Amazing snapper and our get off time was almost unblockable. Snapper doesn't really need to do much but snap.

With that being said, he better be pretty special if we got a guy here thy could do the job but we are going to give a schollie to this kid. MR must know what they want in this kid.

Well heck, someone better tell Mike Riley he isn't doing his job right!

His job consists of much more than offering one LS. However, there is not much upside to this particular choice.

He starts for 4 years and is fast enough to get down the field and cover the return man and improve our punt coverage?

Well heck, someone better tell Mike Riley he isn't doing his job right!

His job consists of much more than offering one LS. However, there is not much upside to this particular choice.
He starts for 4 years and is fast enough to get down the field and cover the return man and improve our punt coverage?
5'11"; 180 lbs; 4.95 sec 40-time, and Faulkenberry is doing this for free the next 3 years.

Never fully understood why you couldnt get a guy who doesnt play a ton but has the ability to play other positions be your LS. Like a backup Tackle or 3rd string center.

I just think using a scholly for a guy who can only long snap is slightly a waste.... but then again, a really bad long snapper could ruin a lot of things.

Either way, welcome aboard Grant if he decides to be N. I thought the guys who filled in for Gabe last year did fine, but like other posters said.. coaches know far more than myself.

#2 thanks to DPE. Nature vs nurture. More his ability than coaching.

So, if we already got the weapons, why do we need Gluhaich?

So, if we already got the weapons, why do we need Gluhaich?

I don't think we necessarily need him per se. I agree that can be taught to another O-lineman.