Who's Leaving?

Mavric

I think it's quite possible that Fyfe's scholarship won't be renewed.

Ha ha! I think hell would freeze over before that happens.

Why? MR didn't put him on scholly. He is going to probably be 5th string....

Because "nice" guys don't pull scholarships awarded to former Nebraska high school walk-ons. Period.

If Riley's staff need to trim the roster, then they need to continue to work with LPD to raid the apartments of more players they want to run out of Lincoln.

• Fire 1

Armstrong, Darlington, Bush, Stanton, Fyfe, two incoming freshmen in the next class and one in the class after that. Something has to give, somewhere.

Even for players who were originally offered, they should earn their spot on the team each year. There's urgency for this staff to take Nebraska to the next level. A lot of work has to go into making over the QB roster, and fast. Scholarship QB transfers are also extremely common. It's such a hit or miss position.

Fyfe may have been awarded a scholarship by the past staff, but IF he didn't earn his spot on the team this spring, they are not and should not compromise QB recruiting to keep him around. Even if he happens to be from Nebraska. Sorry.

If Riley's staff need to trim the roster, then they need to continue to work with LPD to raid the apartments of more players they want to run out of Lincoln.

At least we know where you're coming from.

Armstrong, Darlington, Bush, Stanton, Fyfe, two incoming freshmen in the next class and one in the class after that. Something has to give, somewhere.

Even for players who were originally offered, they should earn their spot on the team each year. There's urgency for this staff to take Nebraska to the next level. A lot of work has to go into making over the QB roster, and fast. Scholarship QB transfers are also extremely common. It's such a hit or miss position.

Fyfe may have been awarded a scholarship by the past staff, but IF he didn't earn his spot on the team this spring, they are not and should not compromise QB recruiting to keep him around. Even if he happens to be from Nebraska. Sorry.

Jim Delany disagrees with you.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/29/sports/colleges-shift-on-four-year-scholarships-reflects-players-growing-power.html

"Earlier this month, the Big Ten announced that it would become the first conference to guarantee its athletic scholarships for four years, a change from the widely followed practice of offering a single-year scholarship that can be renewed. Effective immediately, the Big Ten will ensure that none of its recruited athletes — in any sport — can lose their financial aid because of injury, poor play or coaches’ judgment.

Jim Delany, the league’s commissioner, said, “To make a four-year commitment and give student-athletes the security, it’s the right thing to do.”
  • Fire 1

Well, I don't know about losing their scholarship, but players who don't cut it are often encouraged to move on or transfer or otherwise leave the program. Same result.

That's not really the same for a walk-on, anyway. They didn't arrive with an ensured 4-year offer. The scholarship is a reward and one that I think they should earn. If they're a 5th string guy with a low ceiling in the opinion of the coaches, then that's a pretty good case for not renewing it. Hopefully for Ryker he showed more than that in the spring, but if he didn't, he didn't.

There are lots of Nebraska kids on the team who don't have scholarships.

Well, I don't know about losing their scholarship, but players who don't cut it are often encouraged to move on or transfer or otherwise leave the program. Same result.

That's not really the same for a walk-on, anyway. They didn't arrive with an ensured 4-year offer. The scholarship is a reward and one that I think they should earn. If they're a 5th string guy with a low ceiling in the opinion of the coaches, then that's a pretty good case for not renewing it. Hopefully for Ryker he showed more than that in the spring, but if he didn't, he didn't.

There are lots of Nebraska kids on the team who don't have scholarships.

Ryker Fyfe earned a scholarship.

It is not Ryker Fyfe's fault that Shawn Eichorst fired Pelini and hired Mike Riley who happens to run a different offensive system.

He earned a scholarship last year.

It's not too much to ask that he earn it again this year. He would probably have more going in his favor if he had been a scholarship recruit rather than a walk-on, but that's how it goes.

Was it Patrick Witt or Cody Green's fault that Bo Pelini decided to change his offense and (in the latter's case) fire Shawn Watson? They fell behind in the new system and had no choice but to look elsewhere. This happens to plenty of players every year. Transfers and departures are inevitable.

Why are you guys losing your sh#t? You realize walk-ons are very regularly awarded a scholarship for 1 year when the football team can afford it, and then it's taken away for a recruit the next year, right? This happened under Bo too...

Are you sure? I don't recall it happening under Bo. Or Callahan, Solich, etc. But maybe I just wasn't aware of it.

Actually, I would prefer for that to be the policy: Awarding 1 year schollies to Walk-ons. It would give the staff more flexibility in managing their numbers. I just don't recall this being the case. :dunno