Who's Leaving?

Mavric

Looking at a roster again, here are guys who could go

Natter - hasn't seen the field yet, rumblings he was going before coaching change

Just got done with his RS Freshman year and he's upset that he hasn't seen the field? Really?

:facepalm:

He must be mad that a walk-on is ahead of him.

Why did Bo's staff even have 5 scholarship QBs in the first place, it's not like a backup ever competed for the job, let alone 3rd/4th/5th string...what a waste.

Boaz is the easy one to point fingers at to leave, and I buy the reasoning too, but Id still like to see what he can develop into. His size for a corner is so enticing. Hoping it's not him.

How certain are we that all recruits coming in make it? Seems every year we lose 1-2.

• Fire 3

Looking at a roster again, here are guys who could go

Natter - hasn't seen the field yet, rumblings he was going before coaching change

Just got done with his RS Freshman year and he's upset that he hasn't seen the field? Really?

:facepalm:

He must be mad that a walk-on is ahead of him.

Then work harder than the walk-on.

Why did Bo's staff even have 5 scholarship QBs in the first place, it's not like a backup ever competed for the job, let alone 3rd/4th/5th string...what a waste.

Boaz is the easy one to point fingers at to leave, and I buy the reasoning too, but Id still like to see what he can develop into. His size for a corner is so enticing. Hoping it's not him.

How certain are we that all recruits coming in make it? Seems every year we lose 1-2.

He may have size, but in the latest HOL podcast, they stated that he got torched alot during the spring.

He may have size, but in the latest HOL podcast, they stated that he got torched alot during the spring.
Ah, I didn't know that. Any depth to that analysis? Getting burnt but showed flashes of potential/progress? Or just a flat out miss?

In a perfect world, we'd have a scholarship QB in every class.

On a management note, one thing I don't think is smart is giving extra scholarships to underclassmen walk-ons -- unless they are Sam Foltz, maybe. That guy is a weapon. But a very distant 2nd string sophomore QB, with three scholarship QBs under him and one more in the recruiting class (at the time)?

The previous staff was really killing their QB recruiting outlook with that kind of numbers management.

On the other hand, Fyfe does already have one year on scholarship, which is way more than the vast majority of Nebraska walk-on players. He has a chance to earn two more. He's in a pretty enviable position for a walk-on, although of course he can't expect to hold that spot if he is fourth or fifth string.

This being Nebraska, even if that spot is open again, I'm sure they could spread the wealth by making some hard-working 5th year senior's day (and year!), especially if he also sees the field.

• Fire 1

I don't know if that's true or not about Natter, but in his defense I think most transfers happen with younger players. They have the most opportunity at the new place that way. If you can take stock of things and decide it isn't working as well as you need it, then early is the time to make the move. By the time you're a junior or senior, probably not many programs are willing to take a flyer on you, anyway.

In a perfect world, we'd have a scholarship QB in every class.

Haha whereas Bo honors a scholarship to a potential medical hardship, brings in a stretch offer, and then throws one to a walk-on who had never seen the field...all within the same year. Two of our highest touted QB recruits in the past 10-15 years chose to play baseball over coming to NU. After that it's been a scramble to plug someone into the most important position of any sport.

I don't know if that's true or not about Natter, but in his defense I think most transfers happen with younger players. They have the most opportunity at the new place that way. If you can take stock of things and decide it isn't working as well as you need it, then early is the time to make the move. By the time you're a junior or senior, probably not many programs are willing to take a flyer on you, anyway.

So, they are upset they haven't seen the field. Their third year in the program is where they should really start being a part of the discussion of contributing (unless they come in very close to ready to play). They want to be on the field. Soo...they transfer and have to sit out yet another year to a school that they have to start proving themselves all over again.

On a management note, one thing I don't think is smart is giving extra scholarships to underclassmen walk-ons -- unless they are Sam Foltz, maybe. That guy is a weapon. But a very distant 2nd string sophomore QB, with three scholarship QBs under him and one more in the recruiting class (at the time)?

I would agree if it was a position where he would be unlikely to see the field (like TE since we never used them), but at QB you always have to have a backup plan. TA was always one play from a season ending injury. Lets say Fyfe doesn't recieve that scholarship and transfers and then during the season TA goes down with a season ending injury. You're left with two true freshman QBs (one who coming into the season had major health issues and was an unknown if he would even be able to continue to pursue a collegiate football career), a RSF who had his senior year ended early to a torn ACL and has looked rather shaky at the position in college. I think your 2nd string QB should have a scholarship regardless if he's a walk-on.