Who's Leaving?

Mavric

If a walk-on earns a scholarship during the season, it does not count toward the 85 until the following year. He must start the season as a walk-on.

Are you sure about this? Seems like that would be incredibly easy to exploit.
I think SLH is thinkin about the Gray Shirt option which doesn't happen during the season

An athlete can be put on scholarship and not be counted as an initial counter until the following year if:

• He was not recruited; and
  • He signs the scholarship after the start of fall practice.

The player would have to come to Nebraska and walk-on without being recruited by the coaches. I have no clue how this is regulated.

This doesn't seem to apply to the academic scholly then.

An athlete can be put on scholarship and not be counted as an initial counter until the following year if:

• He was not recruited; and
  • He signs the scholarship after the start of fall practice.

The player would have to come to Nebraska and walk-on without being recruited by the coaches. I have no clue how this is regulated.

I found another site that states that it does not count toward the annual 25, but counts toward the 85 total.

I had a friend back in the late 90s who walked on. He was never recruited, but showed up at the football office his freshman year to inquire about getting a strength program and trying out for the team in the spring (not sure if they still do this). They asked his position (DB) and said they were short some numbers there for the fall. So they called our HS, talked to the coaches, and got some film. Then they called him a few days later and told him they had a spot for him.

He did go to UNL on a full academic ride (Regents Scholarship). When he finally hit the field a couple years later (3rd string CB, but worked his way onto the 1st kickoff and 2nd punt return), there was some concern that he would lose his academic scholarships (since the rule is once you play 1 snap in a game you lose all academic scholarships). But since they could document that he was never recruited, he was allowed to keep his academic scholarships. I believe the definition of "recruited" at the lowest level meant never talking to a coach or receiving a piece of mail from the FB department.

• Fire 1

Nebraska coach Mike Riley says he knows of no players planning to transfer before practice begins in August.

Riley said Thursday he's aware of fan speculation about players leaving, especially with five scholarship quarterbacks on the roster. He said he's met individually with players in recent weeks and that the roster is "status quo as we speak."

OWH