Who's Leaving?

Mavric

BRB, I still think if you're going to transfer, best to do it in one of the first two years. After that it definitely starts to not make sense (unless you're a proven commodity in high demand). There's a risk, but maybe they really don't like it and want a fresh start. It would be their only chance to get both the new start and the time to develop in that new program.

Fyfe wasn't going to transfer on the eve of the season after fall camp (which is when the scholarship was handed out). And walk-ons typically aren't going to transfer anyway. If he really had left after the season because he didn't get a scholarship, then there would have been 4-5 scholarship QBs (pending incoming freshmen, which we didn't end up getting, also partly thanks to the last staff), plus at least one walk-on, for 2015.

I think that's why there is speculation now. Probably no walk-on will receive word about whether their scholarship was renewed or not until the fall? Not sure if that is how it works. Presumably guys like Foltz are pretty assured of their position.

BRB, I still think if you're going to transfer, best to do it in one of the first two years. After that it definitely starts to not make sense (unless you're a proven commodity in high demand). There's a risk, but maybe they really don't like it and want a fresh start. It would be their only chance to get both the new start and the time to develop in that new program.

Fyfe wasn't going to transfer on the eve of the season after fall camp (which is when the scholarship was handed out). And walk-ons typically aren't going to transfer anyway. If he really had left after the season because he didn't get a scholarship, then there would have been 4-5 scholarship QBs (pending incoming freshmen, which we didn't end up getting, also partly thanks to the last staff), plus at least one walk-on, for 2015.

I think that's why there is speculation now. Probably no walk-on will receive word about whether their scholarship was renewed or not until the fall? Not sure if that is how it works. Presumably guys like Foltz are pretty assured of their position.

I don't disagree with anything you said. I just think it's so often a "Grass is greener on the other side of the fence" sort of thing. So often when a kid transfers they still don't play much.

Why did Bo's staff even have 5 scholarship QBs in the first place, it's not like a backup ever competed for the job, let alone 3rd/4th/5th string...what a waste.

Boaz is the easy one to point fingers at to leave, and I buy the reasoning too, but Id still like to see what he can develop into. His size for a corner is so enticing. Hoping it's not him.

How certain are we that all recruits coming in make it? Seems every year we lose 1-2.

He may have size, but in the latest HOL podcast, they stated that he got torched alot during the spring.
Ah, I didn't know that. Any depth to that analysis? Getting burnt but showed flashes of potential/progress? Or just a flat out miss?

They said that it seemed whenever there was a big play by the receiver, he was the DB responsible.

Coaches seemed to really want a scholarship long snapper in this last class. They got one in Ober, and that was probably the writing on the wall. I think Ober was here this spring and at one point Coach Read was raving about the snap velocity and how it would be an improvement. Faulkenberry will probably be able to find work though. Really too bad for him, he probably would've snapped here the rest of his career otherwise.

He was a freshman last year. It seemed like he did a good job but word is that his delivery isn't as fast as Read would like which is why we were after a scholarship guy so hard. One of those odd things where it's probably hard to tell the difference but just a tenth of a second (or less) can make a difference.

He was a freshman last year. It seemed like he did a good job but word is that his delivery isn't as fast as Read would like which is why we were after a scholarship guy so hard. One of those odd things where it's probably hard to tell the difference but just a tenth of a second (or less) can make a difference.

That can't be improved on with coaching?

That can't be improved on with coaching?

Apparently not. Sounds like Read basically told him Ober has the job when he gets here.

Is anyone OK with under recruiting and throwing out ships to players we never heard of? I think it is pretty cut and dry. If you are on the 2 deep as a walk on you earned a ship. You drop below that? You go back to being a walk on

I'm not okay with the under signing. But what are the parameters of the 2 deep? so he is 3rd at spring so no scholarship but come fall he is starting but all the scholarships are gone so he doesn't get one? That doesn't seem right I guess

We are Nebraska. We are better than rescinding a scholarship because the situation becomes inconvenient.

It means more to be a Husker, to be a Husker fan.

I agree with the above.

If Riley decides to pull a walk-on schollie because he oversigned, then IMO he's indicating that he's a cut throat and ruthless coach. So he better win and win big early. Pulling a schollie is going to lose a whole lot of the good will he's engendered thus far.

• Fire 1

Is anyone OK with under recruiting and throwing out ships to players we never heard of? I think it is pretty cut and dry. If you are on the 2 deep as a walk on you earned a ship. You drop below that? You go back to being a walk on

I'm not okay with the under signing. But what are the parameters of the 2 deep? so he is 3rd at spring so no scholarship but come fall he is starting but all the scholarships are gone so he doesn't get one? That doesn't seem right I guess

We are Nebraska. We are better than rescinding a scholarship because the situation becomes inconvenient.

It means more to be a Husker, to be a Husker fan.

I agree with the above.

If Riley decides to pull a walk-on schollie because he oversigned, then IMO he's indicating that he's a cut throat and ruthless coach. So he better win and win big early. Pulling a schollie is going to lose a whole lot of the good will he's engendered thus far.

Or, it just proves that he is doing what he feels is best for the program? I'd rather him not renew a walk-on's scholarship if it were best for the team - meaning that scholarship has better use than given to an individual who will be riding pine the rest of his career. It would be great to allow Fyfe to keep it, but sometimes it doesn't work out. Tough decisions will have to be made to get the program in the right direction and that might include dropping a Nebraska native.