Who's Leaving?

Mavric

Are any of you not okay with the SEC over signing and cutting of players and okay with arbitrarily giving and stripping walk on's of scholarships?

If so, please explain the difference in your mind

Probably because a walk-on should expect to have to pay their own way for their entire career. Walk-ons don't sign a letter of intent, so they aren't bound to the school, and neither is the school bound to the player. Yes, it's a crappy deal, but he should be happy that he got a year paid for when he wasn't guaranteed anything when he walked-on here.
  • Fire 1

Are any of you not okay with the SEC over signing and cutting of players and okay with arbitrarily giving and stripping walk on's of scholarships?

Probably because a walk-on should expect to have to pay their own way for their entire career. Walk-ons don't sign a letter of intent, so they aren't bound to the school, and neither is the school bound to the player. Yes, it's a crappy deal, but he should be happy that he got a year paid for when he wasn't guaranteed anything when he walked-on here.
So is it a yes or a no to my question?

Is anyone OK with under recruiting and throwing out ships to players we never heard of? I think it is pretty cut and dry. If you are on the 2 deep as a walk on you earned a ship. You drop below that? You go back to being a walk on

I'm not okay with the under signing. But what are the parameters of the 2 deep? so he is 3rd at spring so no scholarship but come fall he is starting but all the scholarships are gone so he doesn't get one? That doesn't seem right I guess

We are Nebraska. We are better than rescinding a scholarship because the situation becomes inconvenient.

It means more to be a Husker, to be a Husker fan.

Amen

Uh.. Bad news for you two. We over signed by 3. So either we force 3 out or 3 leave under their own power.... Bad news #2 It isn't apparent anyone is leaving under their own power, yet.

• Fire 1

We are Nebraska. We are better than rescinding a scholarship because the situation becomes inconvenient.

Amen

Uh.. Bad news for you two. We over signed by 3. So either we force 3 out or 3 leave under their own power.... Bad news #2 It isn't apparent anyone is leaving under their own power, yet.

Exactly. People in the recruiting forum seemed to be happy we oversigned by 3 (and very nearly by a few more). I could get into an argument about the recruits we managed to pick up, which I thought were long shots, but that's a discussion for the recruiting forum.

Now that necessary roster adjustments have to be made, people are upset. If doing that is 'inconvenient', blame the new coaching staff. But don't slight the fans for discussing the situation created by the staff regarding the roster.

Riley is going to cut some players, we know that. I am okay with it. Think how many guys just in the last 5-6 years we signed that never saw the field at all.

Now, I am okay with HIM doing that. I never could. It is why I have never coached sports where I had to cut kids. I freaking hate doing it.

Amen

We'll be fine on scholarships.

Amen
We'll be fine on scholarships.

Not until 3 guys leave...

We're not above the rules, though, right?

It may not be about what's convenient, it may be about what's necessary. Fyfe knew what he had to do to stay on scholarship, which is why he got upset when Darlington and Bush started pulling ahead in spring camp. It's not like the rug is being pulled out from underneath him. He knew the deal.

They would not be stripping Fife's scholarship. He was given a one year scholarship. As of now he looks to not have earned a scholarship for the 2015-16 season. Recruited players are given four year scholarships. Walk-ons are given a one year scholarship if they earn one. I am ok with Riley not giving walk-on kids another scholarship if he feels they have not earned one.

As for the SEC its not really apples to apples comparsion. They offer one year scholarships so they can filter kids out as needed. What they do is within their rules. I would prefer that the NCAA steps in & makes a rule across the board & the Big Ten's rules are probably the toughest on oversigning. Basically you can oversign by 3 players. The SEC can sign 25 per year & there is ways for them to sign a few more even, So they can oversign by 12 & in some cases a few more. FYI I am not saying all SEC schools do this but they could.

• Fire 1