Who's Leaving?

Mavric

Rumor is that he was told that he wouldn't be starting out on the 105-man roster

How does that work as a scholarship player? I know being on scholarship doesn't guarantee playing time, but, is it pretty rare for someone in a position like him to not make the 105 for reasons other than injury/off-the-field?

Transfer rumors don't shock me given the amount of bodies we have at QB, but, a lot of people were pretty high on this kid.

Come on guys. He's a bust. He seems like a good kid and a loyal kid, but this isn't the place for him. He looked like he didn't know what planet he was on in the spring game. It's better for everyone if he moves on.
I disagree, I think he showed more promise in the spring game than most give him credit for. Put him with the 1's and see how he looks come fall camp.

The problem is he had the chance to emerge during spring ball the last two years and is currently 4/5 on the depth chart. Two new QBs are signed for this class. Personally, I just do not see how he makes it on the field. As a former Elite 11 guy, he could be the best that never was, but I try to not get hyped on pure potential, when he has had chances to prove himself during practices and yielded no results.
I'm probably the only one here who was not impressed with Bush in the spring game. If I gave my depth chart it would go TA, Darlington, Stanton, Fyfe, Broekmeir, Bush. AJ just looks like a carryover of the Bo Pelini era QB mold. Good, not great. Athletic but mistake prone.

For me, Stanton looks like what we have wanted since Ganz. But 4 years of Martinez have made us forget that and I see Taylor Lite in Aj Bush Darlington was my favorite on the day but health issues. Tommy wins starter by default with experience. But again Stanton for me feels like he could thrive once thrown in the deep end.

Interesting rumor to say the least. Who knows, maybe this is all a set up for Langsdorf the QB Whisperer to perform his magic. Hyperbole knows no bounds.

That is just the thing.. I am loving this.

We have a ton of young talent at QB and a guy who can figure out how to mold that talent.

I expect a much better Armstrong and then whoever takes over will be the guy who earned that spot.

I think Fyfe is obviously the odd man out, but he has the work ethic to at least push and make others better.

I am excited to see what comes of it. My guess is Stanton but who knows.

Stanton leaving will just be futher confirmation that pelini & co. could not develop QBs. This will hopefully be where Riley really separates himself. Bo had teams that could have made a decent run - he was always a QB away IMO. No one developed, either in their career or even just as the year went on. You'd see the same stuff against Iowa as you did against McNeese.

Magic developed as a QB, just not under Bo. The QB Whisperer did the dirty work.

Even then he didn't really develope that much IMO. He got better, but not to the extent you'd expect. I remember that first half of his freshman year, people talking about he how he had the potential to be something spectacular. But he wasn't much better his junior or senior year than the first half of his freshman year. 600 passes after that first season and you'd still hold your breath when he threw anything farther than 10 yards - you still watched with one eye closed, hoping he held on to the ball as he darted through traffic.

If he'd had ZERO instruction, just the sheer number of starts he had would lead to him improving. It's only natural. And that's about the amount of improvement we saw - it wasn't as much about coaching as it was about experience. He could have been a lot better than he was, and that's scary to think about because he was pretty good as it was.

• Fire 1

Magic developed as a QB, just not under Bo. The QB Whisperer did the dirty work.

Even then he didn't really develope that much IMO. He got better, but not to the extent you'd expect. I remember that first half of his freshman year, people talking about he how he had the potential to be something spectacular. But he wasn't much better his junior or senior year than the first half of his freshman year. 600 passes after that first season and you'd still hold your breath when he threw anything farther than 10 yards - you still watched with one eye closed, hoping he held on to the ball as he darted through traffic.

If he'd had ZERO instruction, just the sheer number of starts he had would lead to him improving. It's only natural. And that's about the amount of improvement we saw - it wasn't as much about coaching as it was about experience. He could have been a lot better than he was, and that's scary to think about because he was pretty good as it was.

I guess all those records he holds are more proof?

Stanton is transferring if this hasn't been reported. Either SDSU or Fresno St.

Source?

My brain?

I assumed this was an "it has been made official" post, not an "oh hey I'm Captain Obvious, by the way did you guys hear that Bo Pelini got fired?" kind of post. Everyone, everyone's mom, and probably everyone's dog are all already aware that there's a huge possibility that Stanton's going to transfer. Unless you have an actual source that says without a doubt that he is, why post it as if it's a known fact?

• Fire 2

Rumor is that he was told that he wouldn't be starting out on the 105-man roster

How does that work as a scholarship player? I know being on scholarship doesn't guarantee playing time, but, is it pretty rare for someone in a position like him to not make the 105 for reasons other than injury/off-the-field?

Transfer rumors don't shock me given the amount of bodies we have at QB, but, a lot of people were pretty high on this kid.

Come on guys. He's a bust. He seems like a good kid and a loyal kid, but this isn't the place for him. He looked like he didn't know what planet he was on in the spring game. It's better for everyone if he moves on.
I disagree, I think he showed more promise in the spring game than most give him credit for. Put him with the 1's and see how he looks come fall camp.
The problem is he had the chance to emerge during spring ball the last two years and is currently 4/5 on the depth chart. Two new QBs are signed for this class. Personally, I just do not see how he makes it on the field. As a former Elite 11 guy, he could be the best that never was, but I try to not get hyped on pure potential, when he has had chances to prove himself during practices and yielded no results.
I'm probably the only one here who was not impressed with Bush in the spring game. If I gave my depth chart it would go TA, Darlington, Stanton, Fyfe, Broekmeir, Bush. AJ just looks like a carryover of the Bo Pelini era QB mold. Good, not great. Athletic but mistake prone.

For me, Stanton looks like what we have wanted since Ganz. But 4 years of Martinez have made us forget that and I see Taylor Lite in Aj Bush Darlington was my favorite on the day but health issues. Tommy wins starter by default with experience. But again Stanton for me feels like he could thrive once thrown in the deep end.

Stanton has had every chance to be the man. I agree that Bush didn't look all that good he looked nervous, which is understandable. I think they are going on what they saw in practice from him. He looks like a great WR to me.

Stanton looks to me like it is all mental. He missed some very wide open receivers in the spring game. That is a confidence thing. He looks to me like he may be a MLB.

Stanton leaving will just be futher confirmation that pelini & co. could not develop QBs. This will hopefully be where Riley really separates himself. Bo had teams that could have made a decent run - he was always a QB away IMO. No one developed, either in their career or even just as the year went on. You'd see the same stuff against Iowa as you did against McNeese.

I look at it a bit different. Stanton doesn't appear at all to confirm Bo and group couldn't develop QBs. You could list nearly every other QB recruit they got and say that, but Stanton is different. He's different because even with Riley and staff he hasn't done anything. Being in the Elite 11 and all, I'm guessing he's either dumber than a box of rocks or he has serious confidence issues. With the talent he had coming into Nebraska, one really has to wonder why the new staff isn't doing extraordinary things with Stanton unless they see him as a lost cause.

I look at it a bit different. Stanton doesn't appear at all to confirm Bo and group couldn't develop QBs. You could list nearly every other QB recruit they got and say that, but Stanton is different. He's different because even with Riley and staff he hasn't done anything. Being in the Elite 11 and all, I'm guessing he's either dumber than a box of rocks or he has serious confidence issues. With the talent he had coming into Nebraska, one really has to wonder why the new staff isn't doing extraordinary things with Stanton unless they see him as a lost cause.

Considering his goal is to go to medical school I would say the "dumber than a box of rocks" comment is exactly that

There's not much Riley could've ironed out in the short amount of time he's been here. What we saw during the spring game could've just been issues that Pelini's staff never bothered to address. I'm not saying that's necessarily the case, but it's certainly a good possibility.