On Field Performance vs. Recruiting

DelK

A study has Oregon State as the 4th most overachieving team in the nation over the past 10 years compared to talent. http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/after-signing-day-wisconsin-makes-the-best-of-its-recruits/

If anything, you would think this would show that Riley did indeed, do more with less, better than almost anybody else....

Now we see what he can do with more talent, and frankly, more of everything....

* #1, and #3 will make you sick.

* Nebraska did about "as expected" with the players they recruited.

* The team in dead last will make you smile (probably laugh).

pettigrew-datalab-signing-day-2.png?w=61

Edited by Mavric
Merged threads.
  • Fire 1

There's no way Texas should be in the middle of the pack. They get the pick of the litter every single year in the hotbed of Texas recruiting. Yet they were under .500 this year, with a 6-7 record. I'd say the Whorns should be down there at the bottom with CU for underachieving.

btw, This graph was in some thread yesterday too, wasn't it?

There's no way Texas should be in the middle of the pack. They get the pick of the litter every single year in the hotbed of Texas recruiting. Yet they were under .500 this year, with a 6-7 record. I'd say the Whorns should be down there at the bottom with CU for underachieving.

btw, This graph was in some thread yesterday too, wasn't it?

If it was I didn't see it. Saw it on Twitter this morning and thought it might make those who worry of Riley's mediocre W/L record feel better!!

If Riley can replicate that overachieving ability from Oregon State to here...

I hear ya, but one thing I've been throwing around in my head is that it doesn't always work in that fashion.

Yes, no doubt there are more resources here for a guy like Riley to draw upon. It makes sense he should do pretty well, but every situation is different. There are a TON of variables that go into whether someone is ultimately successful in a place or not. Most of which, IMO, we as outsiders don't really have a good grasp of.

food for thought.