BTN: Early Look at the 2015 Huskers

Mavric

The defense and RB spot are question marks with RB spot being the most concerning...

There needs to be a viable answer at RB,and i'm not 100% it's Cross or Newby, or maybe a combination of the two. I think the need for a solid run game is more important than it has been in years, especially with all the questions on the defensive side of the ball.

A run game need to be utilized to keep the D off of the field and keep them from getting gassed. We've got a couple pretty good receivers but we're kind of hit or miss at the QB position, and that could be a recipe for disaster for our Defense...

The read option offense with it's limited range ran it's course. Shotgun handoff, fake handoff, keep or throw it, option run/pass, bubble screen, etc. I'll be happy to see it go away.

I am most concerned with the quarterback position. Then the run defense strategy.

Offensive line and RB's should be ready and set to go by game one, and improvement should build with experience with each week after that. So I'm leaning towards those being ok.

I expect to see a more physical attacking style of defense against the run. And some better QB pressure as well. I'm not expecting a top 10 overall defense, but a good enough defense that the word out on the scouting report is - that it's really tough to run on the Cornhuskers. At the same time, quarterbacks won't always have a clean pocket to throw because the Blackshirts will knock you down and throw bones.

Quarterback position:

If Tommy cannot learn to read coverages, be smart and protect the ball, develop a soft touch on short passes, and eliminate the emotionally tantrums when things go bad, I hope they replace him. Those are basic fundamentals of the position. Anyone with a strong arm can huck it and chuck it. We need a quarterback to learn from these new coaches, apply that information, and guide the team from play to play. Hopefully, gone are the days that a set of plays by the QB sprinkled throughout the game will determine the outcome of success or failure. Big plays are nice and all, but I'm beyond ready for a smart, physical, and disciplined team for once. Speed and talent is already on this team.

• Fire 1

The read option offense with it's limited range ran it's course. Shotgun handoff, fake handoff, keep or throw it, option run/pass, bubble screen, etc. I'll be happy to see it go away.

I am most concerned with the quarterback position. Then the run defense strategy.

Offensive line and RB's should be ready and set to go by game one, and improvement should build with experience with each week after that. So I'm leaning towards those being ok.

I expect to see a more physical attacking style of defense against the run. And some better QB pressure as well. I'm not expecting a top 10 overall defense, but a good enough defense that the word out on the scouting report is - that it's really tough to run on the Cornhuskers. At the same time, quarterbacks won't always have a clean pocket to throw because the Blackshirts will knock you down and throw bones.

Quarterback position:

If Tommy cannot learn to read coverages, be smart and protect the ball, develop a soft touch on short passes, and eliminate the emotionally tantrums when things go bad, I hope they replace him. Those are basic fundamentals of the position. Anyone with a strong arm can huck it and chuck it. We need a quarterback to learn from these new coaches, apply that information, and guide the team from play to play. Hopefully, gone are the days that a set of plays by the QB sprinkled throughout the game will determine the outcome of success or failure. Big plays are nice and all, but I'm beyond ready for a smart, physical, and disciplined team for once. Speed and talent is already on this team.

Just a few points:

I totally agree about the zone read option disappearing, I'll be thrilled to see that vanish as our base offense. We didn't even make any reads anyway and Armstrong rarely kept it.

Offensive line will have some new faces on it. It may take a bit for the guys to gain some cohesiveness but I'm excited to see what a change in coaching and philosophy brings to that group. There is talent on this team waiting to make an impact.

Running back is a loaded gun. Gonna be fun to see who they utilize and how they utilize them. I would expect quite a battle for playing time at the beginning of the season. Will the staff settle on one or two key options for the majority of the snaps or will three or four guys rotate? Should be interesting. We are stacked.

The defense will be playing downhill more. I can't wait to see it. This defensive line has guys capable of getting penetration and creating havoc in the backfield, they just weren't asked to do so before. I expect some new life to be breathed into the defensive line and linebacker position when these guys get to attack more. Banderas and Rose will be great but I'm excited to see how some of the young speed at Linebacker is used. Stop the run! That should be the only thing these guys are talking about.

QB will be interesting. Although I see Tommy remaining the starter, he does have to show that he's not a liability. I think in year one, these coaches will mostly want someone who is managing and not hurting the team. Whoever that guy is, I expect the staff to slowly work in more and more unlike the last staff who seemed to throw the whole book at them. The run game should be our best friend. Tommy needs to read defenses and make touch throws better. This staff will help him though by simple game planning and giving the QB high percentage options. The TE should be the new best friend of the QB in my opinion. Short routes, big body, easy target.

As far as a characterization of Tommy Armstrong competitive nature as a tantrum, I think you're really far off.

This guy wants to win and he was frustrated last year, no doubt about it. His coaxhes did not make it easy for him. Tommy needs to keep that fire. I notice less and less guys on this unit the last few years being vocal leaders. Leading by example is great, but you have to have a guy in your ear, someone you respect keeping the standard high. I like Tommie's leadership and I'm glad he feels comfortable holding his teammates accountable.

We need more guys like that.

• Fire 2

Loved everything you had to say, True. I do appreciate Tommy's fire and determination. I think he can still grow a little as he matures with how to handle himself and teammates that screw up. He can be direct and stern while eliminating some of the outburst. Tantrum may have been a bit much to say, but it is due to frustration and how you deal with it. And it wasn't often, but when he got too irritated, he did not handle it very well. I'm hoping he improves because he is physically talented throwing and running. I'm excited about his ability, but cautious to see if he improves. It took forever for me to put him on a short leash because I believed too much into his arm strength and aggressive deep passing ability that gave me so much hope, to go along with his physical running ability. The bottom line is, he is going on year three, there is plenty of Quarterback teaching and coaching to learn from, and that he HAS to improve in several areas, or the Huskers will not improve offensively.

• Fire 2

Loved everything you had to say, True. I do appreciate Tommy's fire and determination. I think he can still grow a little as he matures with how to handle himself and teammates that screw up. He can be direct and stern while eliminating some of the outburst. Tantrum may have been a bit much to say, but it is due to frustration and how you deal with it. And it wasn't often, but when he got too irritated, he did not handle it very well. I'm hoping he improves because he is physically talented throwing and running. I'm excited about his ability, but cautious to see if he improves. It took forever for me to put him on a short leash because I believed too much into his arm strength and aggressive deep passing ability that gave me so much hope, to go along with his physical running ability. The bottom line is, he is going on year three, there is plenty of Quarterback teaching and coaching to learn from, and that he HAS to improve in several areas, or the Huskers will not improve offensively.

Totally agree. Tommy has the physical tools but his play has been average at best. I can't think it goes over well when you make more than your share of screw-ups but tend to jump on teammates when they screw up.

Right on man, we are in complete agreement.

I bought into Tommy big time from the get go. Very natural looking out there. I loved his look of comfort and calmness when running the offense. He really seemed to step back in that regard last season as unbelievable as that seems to me. I get where you're coming from because I totally saw him get flustered a few times too and I really thought he was too cool and calm to let that happen. It bothered me quite a bit that we didn't see Tommy progress as the season went on. Its almost like a lost year as far as development goes unfortunately. Like you said though, we've got a couple of QB developers coming in to work with him now. There's no reason he shouldn't take some major steps forward. He's got the tools to be successful as long as he can take some heat off those short throws.

As much as I believe in Tommy and am rooting for him, I believe in these new coaches a lot. If Tommy isn't the guy in their opinion, I will buy in completely if they feel a change is necessary. I believe in these guys as evaluators and developers and I'm excited to see what they can bring out of the kids we've got in the program. It's a great feeling to be excited again for this football team. I bet Tommy and the rest of the guys are excited to learn from these new coaches as well.

• Fire 1

There were games where Tommy Armstrong tried to put the team on his back and will a win through sheer athleticism.

It's an admirable quality but it can lead to unforced errors. Taylor Martinez had the same problem. For that matter, so did Brett Favre.

Tommy needs a coach who can cool him down without putting out the fire.

Armstrong has a rocket for an arm, but he's shown plenty of nice touch passes. I don't consider his passing game a liability at all. Just his decision making. And that comes with every play.

I like Armstrong's chances to improve but have no problem putting him on a short leash. This would be his third year as a starter. Now or never.

• Fire 1