Combine Numbers

teachercd

4.6 is slow for a running back. Every high school sprinter in the Class A 100m final is much faster than that. It doesn't mean they can play football at the same level. I guarantee none of them could change direction at full speed like Ameer and run sub 4 in the shuttle.

I was gonna look this up and prove you wrong. But you might be right. The slowest Class A time last year was 10.91. LINK Ameer's fastest 100M time in high school was 11.15. LINK Hard to say if Ameer got any faster in college. So you're probably right.

Just proves the 40 is useless in examining a football player.

Yeah, this is true. I'm not sure why there continues to be so much emphasis on forty time. It only provides a rough, overall indication of speed and athletic ability.

• Fire 1

4.6 is slow for a running back. Every high school sprinter in the Class A 100m final is much faster than that. It doesn't mean they can play football at the same level. I guarantee none of them could change direction at full speed like Ameer and run sub 4 in the shuttle.

I am calling BS on the claim that every Class A 100 meter sprinter would be faster than Ameer's 40 time. Yes, those guys are running sub-11 second 100 meters, but their 40 times would be right around or slower than Ameer's.

True, what the hell? :facepalm:

Fast and slow are relative terms. It's pretty obvious to I think everyone except you that me saying they are running it slow is clearly relative to past runningback groups at the combine. I don't need to say slower, slow works exactly the same way.

Are you really not getting this or are you just picking some really weird thing to argue with me about?

Yes, I am slow. Yes, I am slower than the runningbacks in the combine. Yes, in this context, those two statements mean the exact same thing. I'm also faster than a turtle, or in other words, compared to a turtle, I am fast.

The turtle would never call you slow.

If the overall forty times are slower in this class compared to previous years, I'd be curious to know why. I said, "if" because I've seen no proof of that, only a couple people saying so, but that's hardly proof.

As I said earlier in the thread, the physical builds of this years running back class is about as big and muscular as I've ever seen a group of running backs. Moving that much mass at a high rate is difficult. Maybe this is the only real explanation "if" the athletes truly are slower. Each year the American athlete only seems to become bigger, faster, and stronger. This years class may have focused on the bigger and stronger part. Still, 4.6 is still pretty damn fast for guys that size.

I was gonna look this up and prove you wrong. But you might be right. The slowest Class A time last year was 10.91. LINK Ameer's fastest 100M time in high school was 11.15. LINK Hard to say if Ameer got any faster in college. So you're probably right.

Yeah, this is true. I'm not sure why there continues to be so much emphasis on forty time. It only provides a rough, overall indication of speed and athletic ability.

Most of those are hand-held times. (Both links are the same so I couldn't see AA's.) When they got to state, they ran much slower.

Also, this is pretty much apples and oranges because I doubt a lot of those guys are 200 pounds. Now, Nate Gerry on the other hand.....