RB Matt Falcon [Western Michigan Commit]

Mavric

I'd send him a letter saying we are still offering you a scholarship if you want it. He'd still have 20 months to rehab before he'd be starting his Redshirt Frosh season.

Exactly, if he doesn't pan out you can medical him or he moves on on his own. Pretty simple really.
Still counts against the limit at day 1 so this makes sense only if you don't have a full class or someone else who you want more.

I'd send him a letter saying we are still offering you a scholarship if you want it. He'd still have 20 months to rehab before he'd be starting his Redshirt Frosh season.

Exactly, if he doesn't pan out you can medical him or he moves on on his own. Pretty simple really.
Still counts against the limit at day 1 so this makes sense only if you don't have a full class or someone else who you want more.

We are signing 25+ IMO. Hopefully we have enough players of his caliber lined up. However I don't see them with profiles if we do.

We redshirt plenty of guys. He can be redshirted. If there are concerns about day 1 of his RS Frosh season, then you have a point.

We redshirt plenty of guys. He can be redshirted. If there are concerns about day 1 of his RS Frosh season, then you have a point.
Not saying you don't do it, a redshirt still takes a spot on the 85. He wouldn't be able to go medical, if needed, right away so you have to account for him taking a spot for 1-2 years and have the potential that he has a decent likelihood of being a non-contributor taking up a scholly. Signing 25+ is nice but you can still only have 85 at one time.

Not saying you don't do it, a redshirt still takes a spot on the 85. He wouldn't be able to go medical, if needed, right away so you have to account for him taking a spot for 1-2 years and have the potential that he has a decent likelihood of being a non-contributor taking up a scholly. Signing 25+ is nice but you can still only have 85 at one time.

So are you trying to say you would or wouldn't do it? You're being a bit indecisive about what you're saying. I'm not saying you are wrong if you say it would be a wasted spot.

My opinion is we are never really at 85 anyways. Why not take a shot at an elite athlete?

Destroyed his knee. offer was pulled

I guess I think if a school offers and a player verbals and then is injured, then I feel the school should honor the scholarship, as a medical anyway. Of course, the school would not have to pay for the medical bills as the kid is not even in school but if he cannot play, then provide the schooling anyway. He would not count toward the scholarship limits on the team of course as a med.

I think they did offer medical but then he can't play FB. (Or so I was made to believe) He wants to play somewhere

I think it is wrong for a school to offer a scholarship to a player in high school and the player accepts and 'commits' verbally as that is all he is allowed to do under NCAA rules if they school then rejects him later after an injury occurs in high school. I suppsoe you can say: this offer is contingent on you not getting injured after accepting. However, injuries are always a risk. I don't believe it would be dishonor for a college to say, yes, you keep your scholarship but it is now medical until you can prove you are healthy and able to perform as well as before. The scholarship was offered for a healthy and productive player with specific skills and abilities. If they are not provided by the player while in college, then the player is not holding up his end of the bargain. But, the scholarship should be honored as non-football. It should NOT count against limitations either.

So are you trying to say you would or wouldn't do it? You're being a bit indecisive about what you're saying. I'm not saying you are wrong if you say it would be a wasted spot.

My opinion is we are never really at 85 anyways. Why not take a shot at an elite athlete?

I am simply saying that regardless of the room in this class, he still counts towards the 85 limit so you better feel good about the odds he heals vs. being an automatic non contributor.

Only half of the class will be "hits" as it is, taking a chance with much lower odds I am not in favor of. That being said, I don't know this young man's situation or prognosis for recovery. If the prognosis is good, but the wait will be 2-3 years, I might take that chance if my team was pretty talented and deep at that position already.

I think it is wrong for a school to offer a scholarship to a player in high school and the player accepts and 'commits' verbally as that is all he is allowed to do under NCAA rules if they school then rejects him later after an injury occurs in high school. I suppsoe you can say: this offer is contingent on you not getting injured after accepting. However, injuries are always a risk. I don't believe it would be dishonor for a college to say, yes, you keep your scholarship but it is now medical until you can prove you are healthy and able to perform as well as before. The scholarship was offered for a healthy and productive player with specific skills and abilities. If they are not provided by the player while in college, then the player is not holding up his end of the bargain. But, the scholarship should be honored as non-football. It should NOT count against limitations either.

honoring that scholarship as a non-athletic scholarship then goes into the grey area of giving benefits to athletes the general population doesnt have access to. unless you are willing to give every student who suffered an injury their senior year.