Hail Varsity Spring Preview - Quarterbacks

Regardless of whats already been said about regression, the glaring problem is lack of PROGRESSION. You can debate with me whether he regressed or not till' we are all dead and gone, but it appears most can agree that we didn't see much progress. That's a problem. You'd expect a big step from that first year to the second year. I expect a step forward this year, but how much can we expect? New coaches, new system. I'm not sure what to expect really but this teams success will depend greatly on what these coaches can get from the QB position this year, as goes for any football team. I'd like to see progress made throughout the season from beginning to end, regardless of who's out there. Marching the same guys out there, doing the same things over and over and not getting better should never be the case.

I think we all agree that Tommy's on the short leash, and needs to step up, but he's a pretty nice place to start the season.

He has a lot of the good qualities you can't coach, and new coaches to (hopefully) make the necessary changes.

I don't worry about Riley insisting on Tommy if Tommy isn't working out.

Yeah, I really like Tommy. I can't make heads or tails of these photos. I think the key difference is probably in their feet. Manning & Brady are stepping into their throws. Tommy kinda looks like he's hopping back.

Though, there were a lot of times last year when he made no pressure throws to wide open guys that were WAY off the mark. That's got to improve, and Riley said as much: one of the criteria he gave was how QBs make throws when under no duress.

So, is that fixable? Or are they habits that are too built in? If the latter, then a) Tommy might not progress as far as we hope as a QB, despite his very many admirable qualities, and b) if the light bulb goes on for another QB, look out.

If the offensive line can block against a team with a pulse and sets up the run game and the defense doesn't go Wisconsin on us Armstrong won't have to be that good. I doubt Riley is going to go all air raid in his first year. Probably still a very run heavy offense. Just improve some mechanics and decision making issues, don't turn it over and hand the ball of to the RBs and the offense should be fine

For the life of me I can't remember who was talking on which radio program, but it was a while ago, and they got into Armstrong's mechanics. And the opinion was his issues are primarily with his feet and legs. Poor foot work, and a mention of almost a 'hitch' with how he moved his lower body during the process of the throw. And that it was something a QB coach could correct.

For the life of me I can't remember who was talking on which radio program, but it was a while ago, and they got into Armstrong's mechanics. And the opinion was his issues are primarily with his feet and legs. Poor foot work, and a mention of almost a 'hitch' with how he moved his lower body during the process of the throw. And that it was something a QB coach could correct.

i am so glad we finally have a real qb coach here, so many kids out of high school have technique problems they don't even know about.....the development needs and coaching needs for qbs is so crucial.