Safeties - The Battle to Start with Gerry

Just dawned on me that I think Alexander is still on the White team. They said they weren't really going to flop guys between teams though a couple have due to injuries. That's what makes it a little tough about saying who's moving up the ladder because it might be that the actual second-string guy is on the other team so it's actually a third-team guy running with the ones.

REALLY like Williams. Hopefully he finds a spot on the field a lot.

Williams has taken that attitude into Nebraska spring practice, intent on using it to challenge for a starting job in the Husker secondary as a sophomore. The 6-foot, 190-pounder is battling at the safety spots with Nathan Gerry, Byerson Cockrell, LeRoy Alexander and others as defensive coordinator Mark Banker and secondary coach Brian Stewart take stock in their inherited personnel.

Williams, for one, is attacking it without hesitation, much as he did that USC punt back on Dec. 27.
“I think if your goal is not to be a starter, you shouldn’t be here,” he said. “That’s my goal. I wouldn’t want to come in and be like, ‘Hey, I just want to be the second-team guy,’ because then I’m not pushing myself. I want to do everything that it takes to get that starting position, and if I don’t and that means playing special teams, then I’ll have to do what I have to do.”

OWH

• 2 weeks later...