The Ongoing State of Ferguson/Systemic Racial Prejudice in the USA

I still have no idea what exactly happened on the day of the Brown shooting.

it is very clear the police department in that city had major problems with racism. It is also clear that Brown on that day was overly agressive to other people.

Both of those are wrong but other than that we don't know squat about what happened.

From that came the protests that (I my opinion) were done in a wrong way that created violence and actually hurt their cause and more innocent people.

Change is being made and a healing process needs to happen.

Here is something that bugs the hell out of me about the police getting shot. Yes, it's bad and the people who did it need to be punished. However, there is a part of me that gets pissed when I hear media say..." They were shot just because they were police". Well, in my mind, the police are in large part responsible for the tensions that caused the shooting due to their racism and actions. So, spare me the pity train.

Fix the Fing racist problem.

For what it's worth, the officers shot were not from the Ferguson Police Department, they were there to help, neither you nor I know if they came from a racist police department.

Point is, while making it very vague, Eric Holder and the POTUS put Darren Wilson out there as being wrong with what he did and condemning his actions before knowing any of the facts.

No, they didn't. And the DOJ didn't throw anyone under the bus, either. They conducted a very needed investigation, found absolutely damning and appalling evidence about the state of Ferguson, and also cleared Wilson of any wrongdoing.

As far as my agenda, my agenda is towards justice, always. That takes many different forms, and you're the one painting with grossly broad strokes and burying your head in the sand. I don't hate cops, I hate abuse by abusive cops. I'm close with a number of law enforcement personnel, and think they're great people and great at their job. So my agenda isn't against police, it is against injustice, which changes depending on the context, whereas yours is carte blanche defending your 'own', and refusing to acknowledge that some of your own are scum that don't stand for the things you stand for.

That is great that YOU would never let revenue be your motivation, really. You seem like a great example of what your profession should look like. But you do harm when you don't acknowledge that, like in this case, there are plenty that aren't like you.

Your thought that racism in police forces us more s problem in small towns compared to big cities is laughable at best. I can't imagine what evidence you have of this other than maybe some bias thinking small towns are nothing more than backwards hick places.

In the last 25 years, how many of the bad issues with police against minorities have been in small towns? We have Rodney King, Michael Brown, the guy in NYC recently, Madison Wisconsin.....etc.

Where are all the race problems with police in small towns in the news?

The fact is, in small towns the police forces are closer to the people. They are more likely to know them and their families.

A major problem in ferguson is that most of the police force did not live in ferguson. That is a problem that is more likely around a larger city.

I think with small towns, there's two things. First, there is less crime and safer living. So, there's the reason for lack of news. But on the other hand, I think smaller communities naturally become more isolated communities, which makes it easier for damaging perspectives and ignorance to gain a foothold. In my experience, there is less physical manifestation of this stuff, but more frequently dangerous perspectives/bias that are hidden under the surface. Thankfully that doesn't necessarily affect a lot of people, but it still seems to be there.

• Fire 1

Point is, while making it very vague, Eric Holder and the POTUS put Darren Wilson out there as being wrong with what he did and condemning his actions before knowing any of the facts.

No, they didn't. And the DOJ didn't throw anyone under the bus, either. They conducted a very needed investigation, found absolutely damning and appalling evidence about the state of Ferguson, and also cleared Wilson of any wrongdoing.

As far as my agenda, my agenda is towards justice, always. That takes many different forms, and you're the one painting with grossly broad strokes and burying your head in the sand. I don't hate cops, I hate abuse by abusive cops. I'm close with a number of law enforcement personnel, and think they're great people and great at their job. So my agenda isn't against police, it is against injustice, which changes depending on the context, whereas yours is carte blanche defending your 'own', and refusing to acknowledge that some of your own are scum that don't stand for the things you stand for.

That is great that YOU would never let revenue be your motivation, really. You seem like a great example of what your profession should look like. But you do harm when you don't acknowledge that, like in this case, there are plenty that aren't like you.

Your thought that racism in police forces us more s problem in small towns compared to big cities is laughable at best. I can't imagine what evidence you have of this other than maybe some bias thinking small towns are nothing more than backwards hick places.

In the last 25 years, how many of the bad issues with police against minorities have been in small towns? We have Rodney King, Michael Brown, the guy in NYC recently, Madison Wisconsin.....etc.

The fact is, in small towns the police forces are closer to the people. They are more likely to know them and their families.

A major problem in ferguson is that most of the police force did not live in ferguson. That is a problem that is more likely around a larger city.

I think with small towns, there's two things. First, there is less crime and safer living. So, there's the reason for lack of news. But on the other hand, I think smaller communities naturally become more isolated communities, which makes it easier for damaging perspectives and ignorance to gain a foothold. In my experience, there is less physical manifestation of this stuff, but more frequently dangerous perspectives/bias that are hidden under the surface. Thankfully that doesn't necessarily affect a lot of people, but it still seems to be there.

I'm not nieve enough to say racism isn't a problem in small towns. But, to say racism in police departments is more of a problem in small towns is just plain ridiculous and can't be supported with facts.

You're not wrong.

Go look at my past posts in several different threads Landlord. I've said before it happens from time to time, you people try to paint our profession with a broad brush, but once again you're trying to reach and turn it around on me. You'll do this and criticize, but won't go and pick up an application and try and show us how it's done. Seeing what the real world is like would give you some life experience to talk about some things.

You talk about the minority of officers like it's the majority. I don't care what false claims you put out there about respecting police and having close ties to people in law enforcement. Words ring hollow when you put a status update about going and assaulting officers when you weren't even involved with the investigation or the situation. That shows your true character, to me that shows what you stand for. What's my character? My character says that if a cop is found to be dirty, he/she is dead to me and he/she should burn for their disrespect for the badge he/she wears, the oath they took, and the fact that their dumba$$ move tarnishes my badge and I take offense to that. Good riddance!

You're the one sticking your head in the sand with denying what the POTUS and Eric Holder did. Nevermind the president allowed a tax evader into the white house several times. Real quality leadership there and I voted for the idiot because I thought Romney was bat$hit crazy! You keep talking about the DOJ investigation, but refuse to acknowledge when this whole thing started, the media, Eric Holder, the POTUS, and the racial leaders, slanted it towards Officer Wilson and it all ended up being a lie and they all hopefully learned a lesson about keeping their mouths shut before the facts come out.

The African-American community's problems are not law enforcement's fault. To think so is downright scary and means some people just won't except responsibility for their actions.

• Fire 1

Read the findings BRI, or at least a couple articles on them. It's outrageous. It might not be a problem in your town, it might not be a problem in most towns, but it was a problem in this town and is a problem in other towns.

I don't disagree with you that it may have been a problem and if it was, they need to fix the problem, simple as that. The law is enforced fairly across all sexes, races and creeds. None of the aforementioned things matter in the eyes of the law, at least with all the cops I know which number into the hundreds if not thousands. You do something really stupid, there are consequences for that. Don't ride around with drugs in your car, or there are consequences for that. And if you are riding around with drugs in your car at least make sure all your damn lights work, you're wearing your seatbelt, and driving the speed limit and obeying all the laws. I can't tell you how many morons have walked themselves into cuffs from a simple traffic stop. :lol:

Read the findings BRI, or at least a couple articles on them. It's outrageous. It might not be a problem in your town, it might not be a problem in most towns, but it was a problem in this town and is a problem in other towns.

I don't disagree with you that it may have been a problem and if it was, they need to fix the problem, simple as that. The law is enforced fairly across all sexes, races and creeds. None of the aforementioned things matter in the eyes of the law, at least with all the cops I know which number into the hundreds if not thousands. You do something really stupid, there are consequences for that. Don't ride around with drugs in your car, or there are consequences for that. And if you are riding around with drugs in your car at least make sure all your damn lights work, you're wearing your seatbelt, and driving the speed limit and obeying all the laws. I can't tell you how many morons have walked themselves into cuffs from a simple traffic stop. :lol:

And if you are going to get out of your car and run from the cops, make sure you can run more than 1/2 block before dropping to your knees exhausted.

• Fire 1
  • 1 month later...

Another death of a black citizen that definitely didn't need to die, and probably wasn't treated properly, another 90% peaceful protest, another 10% thugs that see an excuse to loot and rob and cause destruction, rinse, cycle, repeat.

I'm getting weary even paying attention to all of this stuff; I can't imagine being subjected to it or living in it.

Another death of a black citizen that definitely didn't need to die, and probably wasn't treated properly, another 90% peaceful protest, another 10% thugs that see an excuse to loot and rob and cause destruction, rinse, cycle, repeat.

I'm getting weary even paying attention to all of this stuff; I can't imagine being subjected to it or living in it.

I guess this is what I don't get.

One guy dies in the custody of white cops, and it's armaf*ckinggeddon, but there are black guys offing other black guys in droves in the NYC metro area, and where's the riots for that? Where's Rev Al? Where's the moral outrage?

Some of these "protesters" need to unf*ck themselves asap...

Lots of crime tonight. The family of Eddie Gray pleading with people to stop the violence, and it keeps getting worse. Police officers with concussions, shattered kneecaps, buildings on fire, criminals CUTTING f'ing FIRE HOSES trying to put out fires.

A local pastor said they'd been working 8 years to build a senior center that got burnt to the ground tonight.

Last night we had a black on black shooting here in the metro area close to where I work. Happened right after a concert was letting out. Cops weren't involved, but the cops were screaming on the radio because the crowd was getting out of control and being hostile towards them. It was scary to listen to and close to not ending well. Called in every available unit from the entire metro area to get it under control. Scary times...........

I guess this is what I don't get.

One guy dies in the custody of white cops, and it's armaf*ckinggeddon, but there are black guys offing other black guys in droves in the NYC metro area, and where's the riots for that? Where's Rev Al? Where's the moral outrage?

Some of these "protesters" need to unf*ck themselves asap...

Not that I condone the sh#t going on tonight, but what you're asking doesn't exist. You don't think black people want justice and still want convictions and arrests when attacked by other black people? Noone is or has said that crime between African-Americans isn't a problem; only that 'blackness' has nothing to do with that problem. Black-on-black and white-on-white crime statistics are about the same. There aren't riots because 'black-on-black' crime is just crime, period. Police crime, on the other hand, isn't just crime. Police are a special category, in that they are charged and instructed and choose to work a job of protecting and serving the public.

Any person would react differently to the same crime committed by a regular citizen as opposed to being committed by a police officer. I would be a hell of a lot more enraged and inclined to seek out justice if a cop punched me in the face without provocation than I would if some regular douche at a bar did.

Some helpful links:

http://www.thenation.com/article/192361/about-black-black-crime

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/julia-craven/what-does-blackonblack-cr_b_6239360.html

• Fire 1

Not that I condone the sh#t going on tonight, but what you're asking doesn't exist. You don't think black people want justice and still want convictions and arrests when attacked by other black people? Noone is or has said that crime between African-Americans isn't a problem; only that 'blackness' has nothing to do with that problem. Black-on-black and white-on-white crime statistics are about the same. There aren't riots because 'black-on-black' crime is just crime, period. Police crime, on the other hand, isn't just crime. Police are a special category, in that they are charged and instructed and choose to work a job of protecting and serving the public.

Any person would react differently to the same crime committed by a regular citizen as opposed to being committed by a police officer. I would be a hell of a lot more enraged and inclined to seek out justice if a cop punched me in the face without provocation than I would if some regular douche at a bar did.

Some helpful links:

http://www.thenation.com/article/192361/about-black-black-crime

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/julia-craven/what-does-blackonblack-cr_b_6239360.html

No they do, but why don't they riot when the crime is black on black? The minute somebody that isn't black is involved, it becomes a hot button issue, Rev Al Sharpton shows up, and it's the same dog and pony show we've seen in Ferguson?

Yeah, but when was the last time you saw city blocks in flames because of a white guy getting smoked by a black guy?

Yeah, your first link was written by a dude from the U.K., so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he wouldn't know what the hood was if it came up and bit him in the ass, and as for Ms Craven, when it says one of her favorite things is "ranting on twitter", that kinda shoots her credibility in the ass...

• Fire 1