The Ongoing State of Ferguson/Systemic Racial Prejudice in the USA

We don't have a very bad crime problem, though. Crime has been in decline since the 1990s, and violent crime rates are as low as they were in 1970. And Bill Clinton's "more cops on the street" initiative isn't widely credited with reducing those numbers. They're more likely to do with a better overall economic situation than anything else.

We don't have a very bad crime problem, though. Crime has been in decline since the 1990s, and violent crime rates are as low as they were in 1970. And Bill Clinton's "more cops on the street" initiative isn't widely credited with reducing those numbers. They're more likely to do with a better overall economic situation than anything else.

So, you are saying the economic situation of people in those communities has improved?

If what you say is true, the Clinton administration should take off their website the link I posted above.

And, I would venture to say the people who live in these communities would not agree with you on not having a bad crime problem.

My "we don't have a very bad crime problem" was intended to say that it's not nearly as bad as it's portrayed in the media. It's difficult to find information that isn't hyped up to scare us into reading an article or watching the next segment. Telling us that violent crime rates have been in decline for decades doesn't shock us into consuming the news, so that's not the story we're told.

There are likely 1,000 factors contributing to the drop in violent crime rates, but imprisonment has not been shown to be a direct factor. Results are mixed, but in general, the drop in violent crime coincides with a drop in imprisonment rates. '

In an analysis, the non-profit Pew Charitable Trusts said the drop in crime coincided with a decline in the prison population, with the number of U.S. prisoners down 6 percent in 2013 from its peak in 2008.

Thirty-two of the 50 states have seen a drop in crime rates as the rate of imprisonment fell, Pew said.

California notched the largest drop in imprisonment rate over the five-year period, at 15 percent, and crime was down 11 percent. The state has been under court order to reduce prison overcrowding, and voters last week approved an initiative that reduced sentences for some crimes.

LINK

That article is too short to pay proper credence to all the factors involved in the drop in violent crimes, but I think the reference to the prevalence of video is an intriguing factor. If you know you're likely to be filmed at any given time, it makes you stop and think about committing that crime, doesn't it?

My "we don't have a very bad crime problem" was intended to say that it's not nearly as bad as it's portrayed in the media. It's difficult to find information that isn't hyped up to scare us into reading an article or watching the next segment. Telling us that violent crime rates have been in decline for decades doesn't shock us into consuming the news, so that's not the story we're told.

There are likely 1,000 factors contributing to the drop in violent crime rates, but imprisonment has not been shown to be a direct factor. Results are mixed, but in general, the drop in violent crime coincides with a drop in imprisonment rates. '

In an analysis, the non-profit Pew Charitable Trusts said the drop in crime coincided with a decline in the prison population, with the number of U.S. prisoners down 6 percent in 2013 from its peak in 2008.

Thirty-two of the 50 states have seen a drop in crime rates as the rate of imprisonment fell, Pew said.

California notched the largest drop in imprisonment rate over the five-year period, at 15 percent, and crime was down 11 percent. The state has been under court order to reduce prison overcrowding, and voters last week approved an initiative that reduced sentences for some crimes.

LINK

That article is too short to pay proper credence to all the factors involved in the drop in violent crimes, but I think the reference to the prevalence of video is an intriguing factor. If you know you're likely to be filmed at any given time, it makes you stop and think about committing that crime, doesn't it?

OK...is this a chicken or an egg thing?

I would assume if there is a drop in violent crime, the prison population would go down due to the fact that fewer crimes are being committed thus fewer criminals to arrest and put in prison.

I agree that there are lots of reasons that go into this. I also believe that back in the 90s when Clinton was in office and people wanted safer streets (at least the politicians were convincing everyone of this) a surge in police force wasn't a bad thing. (OK...I threw up a little thinking I'm defending Bill on something).

Having more police on the streets doesn't directly mean that police brutality and abuse is going to go up. Police brutality and abuse is from piss poor management of those forces and training. Go eat a friggen donut. Your job is not to go out and find how many people you can arrest or ticket.

And, this isn't just a black neighborhood thing. Our police force in small town Nebraska turned over it's force a few years ago and we had a number of new officers right out of the academy. They thought their job was to go out and save the world and write tickets and arrest people. Well, it took a short time and some sit down meetings with the police chief for him to realize what is going on and those officers are not here anymore.

A major problem is that in many of these cities, the police don't have a good enough relationship with the community so that citizens can go have a sit down discussion with the chief and hash these things out. We also have a rule that the police have to live in our community. I think that is very important.

Somewhere on here is a thread where I described my run in with a Nebraska State Patrolman and he thought he was saving the world from a horrible driver. I actually asked just last week another patrolman about him and he just rolled his eyes. He said, "Yeah....he's new and is learning how to do his job.". I have confidence that at some point with him, the light is going to go on and he is going to realize a stop like what he did with me is pretty stupid.

What many new police officers don't realize is that 90% of their job is just....to be there. Be present and build a relationship with the community. Effective leadership above them can do that. More police on the streets doing this works to reduce crime.

However, the constant struggle that we discussed before between authority and power and where that fine line is comes into play every day on their job. Especially in neighborhoods where the crime rate is very high.

For what it's worth, I think when you look at crime rates, it doesn't work to look at the US as a whole. you literally have to get to individual cities and even individual neighborhoods.

Another interesting article about how poverty in Baltimore and similar environments adversely affects it's (mostly black) youth:

Every year a poor boy spends growing up in Baltimore, this research found, his earnings as an adult fall by 1.5 percent. Add up an entire childhood, and that means a 26-year-old man in Baltimore earns about 28 percent less than he would if he had grown up somewhere in average America. And that's a whole lot less than the very same child would earn if he had grown up, 50 miles away, in Fairfax County.
That one result — among data Chetty and Hendren have calculated for every county in America — marks a remarkable convergence this week of slow-going social science and current events. If young men in Baltimore who have been protesting for the last two weeks are lashing out at a long legacy of inherited disadvantage, they are also reacting to a reality today that empirical data now confirms: Baltimore is a terrible place to grow up as a poor black boy.
  • 1 month later...

West Baltimore’s Police Presence Drops, and Murders Soar
By RICHARD A. OPPEL Jr.JUNE 12, 2015

BALTIMORE — From the steps of her New Bethlehem Baptist Church, the Rev. Lisa Weah looked down the block to the open-air drug market outside the bodega on the corner a few hundred feet away.

The traffic there had been slowing until the chaos that followed the death of Freddie Gray on April 19, after he was injured in police custody. Now it is back full-bore, and the police are often nowhere to be seen.
A month and a half after six officers were charged in Mr. Gray’s death, policing has dwindled in some of Baltimore’s most dangerous neighborhoods, and murders have risen to levels not seen in four decades. The totals include a 29-year-old man fatally shot on this drug corner last month. Police union officials say that officers are still coming to work, but that some feel a newfound reluctance and are stepping back, questioning whether they will be prosecuted for actions they take on the job.

LINK

Well, this was fairly predictable. And it might get a lot worse before it gets better.

• 1 month later...

It'll be interesting with the overnight events in Ferguson to see how the national media spins this into law enforcements fault, if they even try. The interim chief was being interviewed down there when the shooting occurred. The look on his face was like, "Not again....." I feel for him being thrust into that position in the middle of all that turmoil. Talk about a mountain to climb! From the sounds of it the suspect made a bad choice to continue the violence of some down there and the officers were forced to make a deadly force decision.

It'll be interesting with the overnight events in Ferguson to see how the national media spins this into law enforcements fault, if they even try. The interim chief was being interviewed down there when the shooting occurred. The look on his face was like, "Not again....." I feel for him being thrust into that position in the middle of all that turmoil. Talk about a mountain to climb! From the sounds of it the suspect made a bad choice to continue the violence of some down there and the officers were forced to make a deadly force decision.

Sounds like the correct one.

Correct. What I'm wondering is will there be a few days of rioting in response or will protesters realize police have to do their jobs sometimes?

Correct. What I'm wondering is will there be a few days of rioting in response or will protesters realize police have to do their jobs sometimes?

Well, to answer that, you have to distuquish between the peaceful protesters (which includes Brown's family) and the ones just their to cause problems. The peaceful ones will understand the police need to do their jobs. The ones who want to cause problems hopefully get the message that the police aren't going to screw around and peaceful people aren't going to cry over their stupidity.

No, not the smartest move, really stupid honestly and that does nothing but fuel the fire. Darren Wilson was destroyed in this incident as well and unfairly I might add, but regardless THAT'S not the way to handle the situation.

And while I understand Brown's family may be peaceful now, let's not forget his step-father helped stoke the riots by saying "burn this mfer down!"

• Fire 1