The Ongoing State of Ferguson/Systemic Racial Prejudice in the USA

Not that I condone the sh#t going on tonight, but what you're asking doesn't exist. You don't think black people want justice and still want convictions and arrests when attacked by other black people? Noone is or has said that crime between African-Americans isn't a problem; only that 'blackness' has nothing to do with that problem. Black-on-black and white-on-white crime statistics are about the same. There aren't riots because 'black-on-black' crime is just crime, period. Police crime, on the other hand, isn't just crime. Police are a special category, in that they are charged and instructed and choose to work a job of protecting and serving the public.

Any person would react differently to the same crime committed by a regular citizen as opposed to being committed by a police officer. I would be a hell of a lot more enraged and inclined to seek out justice if a cop punched me in the face without provocation than I would if some regular douche at a bar did.

Some helpful links:

http://www.thenation.com/article/192361/about-black-black-crime

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/julia-craven/what-does-blackonblack-cr_b_6239360.html

No they do, but why don't they riot when the crime is black on black? The minute somebody that isn't black is involved, it becomes a hot button issue, Rev Al Sharpton shows up, and it's the same dog and pony show we've seen in Ferguson?

Yeah, but when was the last time you saw city blocks in flames because of a white guy getting smoked by a black guy?

You'll never see city blocks in flames because of a black person killing a white person, because white people haven't been historically brutalized by black people throughout history. Kind of like the same idea but opposite effect of how Nebraska fans would absolutely lose their sh#t in furious outrage if we lost to Kansas over the years, while Kansas fans were bummed out but hardly up in arms over losing to Nebraska. Unequal reactions due to varying circumstances.

The reason people are rioting is because of crime, or perceived crime, by police officers. They aren't rioting because of crime by white people. The fact that the number of police officers that are white is disproportionately high is an interesting element, and definitely plays into it, but isn't the defining characteristic of why people are rioting. There are black policemen that have been on duty actively trying to contain riots in Ferguson, and Baltimore, and other places.

We may "choose" to protect and serve the public, but we certainly don't choose to have rocks and bricks thrown at us. Hell, it was reported a little while ago that these looters were throwing cinder blocks at passing fire trucks. Ridiculous........

And speaking of racism, one of my officers was called to the scene of an assault the other day. The reporting party was a black female, she wouldn't believe my officer was a police officer even after he told dispatch to advise her he was a real police officer. She refused to cooperate and brought up the fact that she was black when my officer never even brought it in the picture. Why? Because we don't care if you're black, white, asian, hispanic, it doesn't matter so quite acting like it does. She calls us and then is a raging a-hole and doesn't want to cooperate. Who's the racist one? My officer left because she was getting out of control and making the situation worse with her actions. People are going to use these events as excuses to act like a-holes to us even more than they did before all these "nationwide protests"

I'm not saying what happened in Baltimore was right, it wasn't on some level. I'm saying that these situations/protests almost always end in violence at this point. The police are in a lose lose situation, react to the looters and take back the streets and they were too aggressive and end up the bad guys. Let the looters destroy parts of the city and hang back and be observers and they were cowards that didn't do their jobs and end up bad guys. People want change? You're seeing de-policing occurring right before your very eyes. That should scare the sh#t out you!

You'll never see city blocks in flames because of a black person killing a white person, because white people haven't been historically brutalized by black people throughout history. Kind of like how Nebraska fans would absolutely lose their sh#t in outrage if we lost to Kansas over the years, while Kansas fans were bummed out but hardly up in arms over losing to Nebraska

Are you sure about that? So, if a white dude did something to one of my family members, it's ok for me to riot because my people have had to endure hundreds of years of oppression? That might be the most jackass statement of the week. You remind of a guy I work with. All ways agree's with minorities, but lives in a white upper middle class neighborhood, and not in "the hood". And I appreciate your football analogy, that was slightly amusing.

• Fire 1

I guess when it's just a crime you go to the courts. Or the police. Like you're supposed to.

When it's the police and they're being shielded, what do you do?

That said, the violence is sad and unbelievable. Apparently inspired by the movie "Purge" and the ethos "Two wrongs definitely make a right."

The fact that there are more white police officers than black police officers can be partially tied to the written exams and the fact that the "standards" are too high for minorities to do well on the tests according to some. One side will argue that they weren't given the same privileges that the caucasian race was so it's impossible for them to score well on that test, while another side will argue that we shouldn't lower our standards just to higher minorities. A police department SHOULD, if at all possible, resemble the community it serves. That's not always possible because even getting ANYONE to apply to be a police officer anymore is getting tougher and tougher by the day.

We may "choose" to protect and serve the public, but we certainly don't choose to have rocks and bricks thrown at us. Hell, it was reported a little while ago that these looters were throwing cinder blocks at passing fire trucks. Ridiculous........

And speaking of racism, one of my officers was called to the scene of an assault the other day. The reporting party was a black female, she wouldn't believe my officer was a police officer even after he told dispatch to advise her he was a real police officer. She refused to cooperate and brought up the fact that she was black when my officer never even brought it in the picture. Why? Because we don't care if you're black, white, asian, hispanic, it doesn't matter so quite acting like it does. She calls us and then is a raging a-hole and doesn't want to cooperate. Who's the racist one? My officer left because she was getting out of control and making the situation worse with her actions. People are going to use these events as excuses to act like a-holes to us even more than they did before all these "nationwide protests"

I'm not saying what happened in Baltimore was right, it wasn't on some level. I'm saying that these situations/protests almost always end in violence at this point. The police are in a lose lose situation, react to the looters and take back the streets and they were too aggressive and end up the bad guys. Let the looters destroy parts of the city and hang back and be observers and they were cowards that didn't do their jobs and end up bad guys. People want change? You're seeing de-policing occurring right before your very eyes. That should scare the sh#t out you!

BRI, drop LOMS lily white butt in the middle of a bunch of pissed off protestors in Baltimore, I wonder what he'd say then...

• Fire 1

You'll never see city blocks in flames because of a black person killing a white person, because white people haven't been historically brutalized by black people throughout history. Kind of like how Nebraska fans would absolutely lose their sh#t in outrage if we lost to Kansas over the years, while Kansas fans were bummed out but hardly up in arms over losing to Nebraska

Are you sure about that? So, if a white dude did something to one of my family members, it's ok for me to riot because my people have had to endure hundreds of years of oppression? That might be the most jackass statement of the week. You remind of a guy I work with. All ways agree's with minorities, but lives in a white upper middle class neighborhood, and not in "the hood". And I appreciate your football analogy, that was slightly amusing.

I didn't say it was 'ok' to riot - I also don't think you ever actually intend to hear anything I say. I'm merely attempting to offer an explanation as to why the rioting is happening. I'm heartbroken by all sides of this. I don't think it's ok for black men that haven't committed crimes to have their spines crushed by the police, but I think I understand it. I don't think it's ok for people to take violently to the streets in retaliation, even when the family of the deceased is begging them not to, but I understand some of the reasons why people would want to do that and feel justified in doing it.

BRI is right about the police being in a lose lose situation. Even the best police officers are fighting the stigma and reputation of hundreds of years worth of unequal protection and treatment, and also fighting the label that the worst examples bring to an otherwise overall respectful job. The same is true for minority communities - it's a lose lose. Even the brightest and highest potential minorities have to struggle against a system that hasn't yet arrived to give them the same opportunities that others have.

How freaking hard is it to put cameras on cops to ensure this crap stops? The black on black crime is irrelevant and a distractor to the larger issue, which is only perpetuated by the media. What's sad is you can currently watch a liquor store go up in flames as a mother and her baby are evacuated from their home right next door. Today's events fall solely on the city's elected officials.

First thing, as soon as the death happened - there needed to be immediate response by the police department and mayor to get an in depth investigation going. He'll you've seen what happens when swift action doesn't occur ( Ferguson, NYC, etc). Second the mayor and the department totally crapped the bed when it came to preparing for protest. Hell the mayor said she'd give the protestors space to "Destroy". Oh that's good - because whether she meant that or used a poor choice of words, any low life opportunistic thug is going to take that quite literally and have a bush league excuse for his/her action.

Also, the amount of police and national guard deployed to protect the law abiding citizen of Baltimore was an absolute joke. The second those kids and protestors started throwing the bricks and alcohol bottles at cops, mass amount of arrest should've been made. All of the coverage tonight showed that the cops were essentially punching bags and that does little to restore any faith or credibility in the department. It's very, very disturbing from the inexcusable severed spinal cord of the victim to the failure of a city and publicly funded entity to protect those that need it. The only bright spot of the day was the video of the mother slapping her son upside the head, due to him participating in the looting. Good for her, comes to show that not everyone is a product of their environment.

I didn't say it was 'ok' to riot - I also don't think you ever actually intend to hear anything I say. I'm merely attempting to offer an explanation as to why the rioting is happening. I'm heartbroken by all sides of this. I don't think it's ok for black men that haven't committed crimes to have their spines crushed by the police, but I think I understand it. I don't think it's ok for people to take violently to the streets in retaliation, even when the family of the deceased is begging them not to, but I understand some of the reasons why people would want to do that and feel justified in doing it.

There's an explanation, and I heard plenty, but I'm gonna come right out and say it, there is a large cross section of those individuals, who just don't know how to act...

Let's remember one thing about those body cameras. Everyone likes to say that the use of force incidents and complaints on officers drops when they're wearing those things. Is that because the officer is doing their job better? Or is it because the criminal they're dealing with, obviously not everyone they contact, knows that the camera is there and they're on their best behavior because of it? Or both?

You're seeing hesitation by police and the administrations that run them because of all the scrutiny on the police right now. A lot of officers have no idea how they should do their job at this point because of these events. No one wants to be the next Ferguson so they're trying to find different ways to handle these protests/riots when they occur. Officers are tired of being yelled at, spit on, assaulted, etc just because they wear a uniform right now. Hesitation is going to get several cops killed and several citizens killed. It's scary and unfortunate.

• Fire 1

Let's remember one thing about those body cameras. Everyone likes to say that the use of force incidents and complaints on officers drops when they're wearing those things. Is that because the officer is doing their job better? Or is it because the criminal they're dealing with, obviously not everyone they contact, knows that the camera is there and they're on their best behavior because of it? Or both?

You're seeing hesitation by police and the administrations that run them because of all the scrutiny on the police right now. A lot of officers have no idea how they should do their job at this point because of these events. No one wants to be the next Ferguson so they're trying to find different ways to handle these protests/riots when they occur. Officers are tired of being yelled at, spit on, assaulted, etc just because they wear a uniform right now. Hesitation is going to get several cops killed and several citizens killed. It's scary and unfortunate.

I agree with all you said in the second paragraph - the job has definitely become more dangerous as a by product to the media's attention to any situation that could remotely be considered racial profiling or injustice. Now you have gangs placing hits on cops - no way in hell I could do that job.

As a reply to your original paragraph, I guess my question is wouldn't either of those scenarios provide the end result everyone is looking for? I don't care if the cop is better behaved or the suspect is more respectful to the officer, if it gets a criminal locked up and an officer home to family without his name being smeared through the papers due to accusations of police misconduct I'd say that's a net positive. However, if you're saying that these cameras are causing officers to second guess their decisions, I'd agree that it might not be such a simple answer.

• Fire 1

How freaking hard is it to put cameras on cops to ensure this crap stops? The black on black crime is irrelevant and a distractor to the larger issue, which is only perpetuated by the media. What's sad is you can currently watch a liquor store go up in flames as a mother and her baby are evacuated from their home right next door. Today's events fall solely on the city's elected officials.

First thing, as soon as the death happened - there needed to be immediate response by the police department and mayor to get an in depth investigation going. He'll you've seen what happens when swift action doesn't occur ( Ferguson, NYC, etc). Second the mayor and the department totally crapped the bed when it came to preparing for protest. Hell the mayor said she'd give the protestors space to "Destroy". Oh that's good - because whether she meant that or used a poor choice of words, any low life opportunistic thug is going to take that quite literally and have a bush league excuse for his/her action.

Also, the amount of police and national guard deployed to protect the law abiding citizen of Baltimore was an absolute joke. The second those kids and protestors started throwing the bricks and alcohol bottles at cops, mass amount of arrest should've been made. All of the coverage tonight showed that the cops were essentially punching bags and that does little to restore any faith or credibility in the department. It's very, very disturbing from the inexcusable severed spinal cord of the victim to the failure of a city and publicly funded entity to protect those that need it. The only bright spot of the day was the video of the mother slapping her son upside the head, due to him participating in the looting. Good for her, comes to show that not everyone is a product of their environment.

Here is the problem I have with what you wrote.

Contrast this with how the police reacted in Ferguson and the public's reaction. In Ferguson, there was immediate reaction from the police when they knew there would be riots. They came in with force. Worked to take control and arrest anyone who was causing problems. What??? The public was outraged with video of police in armored trucks and confronting rioters. They were told they were doing everything wrong because they need to come out of their military vehicles and allow the anger to be shown and then it would subside on it's own.

NOW...in Baltimore, the BLACK mayor has said repeatedly that they did not want to commit the same mistakes as other communities (Ferguson) and they were going to contain the violence and rioting to the neighborhood but they were not going to come in with a large military force to break it up. The public is outraged because they didn't go in with force and stop it.

These people are in a no win situation due to past racism, poor parenting and family structures with roll models, and poor leadership from the black community.

This morning CNN was interviewing a local minister who had worked to stop the violence. How?? He had met with the Bloods and Crips and got them to sign peace treaty and work together to try to stop the "Purge". WTF???? Obviously the gang sh#t heads (who has done more damage to cause these problems in these neighborhoods than anyone) are way out of their league in trying to stop anything.

How are the black leaders guilty? Here is just one example from the past that has lead to this way of thinking by these people. I remember many years ago two black kids got into a fight at a football game in Illinois. They were caught and expelled from school. What did the black leadership do? Jessy Jackson shows up on TV claiming racism because those black kids shouldn't have been expelled from school. The school had a no tolerance rule on fighting but that wasn't good enough for good ol' Jessy. So, what lesson was taught to those kids by the black leadership?

This entire thing is an f'ed up mess. People in these communities are sitting and just waiting for anything that even appears to be wrong by the police so they can become thugs and criminals.

NONE of us know exactly what happened with this guy when he was with the police. Everyone says "He shouldn't have died". Really? How do you know it's the police's fault? I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe that other than he was in their custody when it happened. Everyone is upset that the investigation "didn't start immediately. Well, if there hasn't been a full investigation, how does everyone know it's the police's fault he's dead?

All these riots will burn more buildings down. It will calm down over time. Years from now the buildings won't be rebuilt and these kids will then be adults crying that they don't have a nice neighborhood to live in. IT MUST BE RACISM BECAUSE WHITE PEOPLE DON"T LIVE AMONG BURNED OUT BUILDINGS.

• Fire 1

I agree with all you said in the second paragraph - the job has definitely become more dangerous as a by product to the media's attention to any situation that could remotely be considered racial profiling or injustice. Now you have gangs placing hits on cops - no way in hell I could do that job.

As a reply to your original paragraph, I guess my question is wouldn't either of those scenarios provide the end result everyone is looking for? I don't care if the cop is better behaved or the suspect is more respectful to the officer, if it gets a criminal locked up and an officer home to family without his name being smeared through the papers due to accusations of police misconduct I'd say that's a net positive. However, if you're saying that these cameras are causing officers to second guess their decisions, I'd agree that it might not be such a simple answer.

I agree if it achieves a better result than the situations we're dealing with now then it's a good thing. But, it's not a answer to all the problems we're facing in law enforcement now and some folks like to act like it is, not saying you are. Officers are hesitating to do their jobs because of these national issues that have come up and how these protests turn into riots. Everything we do and how we responded or didn't respond is questioned and ends up on the news. That's causing hesitation, it's hard to explain unless you've went through all the training necessary to understand where police are coming from on some things, but hesitation will cause death in some situations we deal with. That simplifies it quite a bit, but you see it yesterday on TV with the Baltimore riots. I'm not saying the police are always right, we aren't, simple as that, but I think we can all agree that these riots across the country have to stop. This isn't the way to deal with these situations.

Contrast this with how the police reacted in Ferguson and the public's reaction. In Ferguson, there was immediate reaction from the police when they knew there would be riots. They came in with force. Worked to take control and arrest anyone who was causing problems. What??? The public was outraged with video of police in armored trucks and confronting rioters. They were told they were doing everything wrong because they need to come out of their military vehicles and allow the anger to be shown and then it would subside on it's own.

NOW...in Baltimore, the BLACK mayor has said repeatedly that they did not want to commit the same mistakes as other communities (Ferguson) and they were going to contain the violence and rioting to the neighborhood but they were not going to come in with a large military force to break it up. The public is outraged because they didn't go in with force and stop it.

These people are in a no win situation due to past racism, poor parenting and family structures with roll models, and poor leadership from the black community.

This morning CNN was interviewing a local minister who had worked to stop the violence. How?? He had met with the Bloods and Crips and got them to sign peace treaty and work together to try to stop the "Purge". WTF???? Obviously the gang sh#t heads (who has done more damage to cause these problems in these neighborhoods than anyone) are way out of their league in trying to stop anything.

How are the black leaders guilty? Here is just one example from the past that has lead to this way of thinking by these people. I remember many years ago two black kids got into a fight at a football game in Illinois. They were caught and expelled from school. What did the black leadership do? Jessy Jackson shows up on TV claiming racism because those black kids shouldn't have been expelled from school. The school had a no tolerance rule on fighting but that wasn't good enough for good ol' Jessy. So, what lesson was taught to those kids by the black leadership?

This entire thing is an f'ed up mess. People in these communities are sitting and just waiting for anything that even appears to be wrong by the police so they can become thugs and criminals.

NONE of us know exactly what happened with this guy when he was with the police. Everyone says "He shouldn't have died". Really? How do you know it's the police's fault? I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe that other than he was in their custody when it happened. Everyone is upset that the investigation "didn't start immediately. Well, if there hasn't been a full investigation, how does everyone know it's the police's fault he's dead?

All these riots will burn more buildings down. It will calm down over time. Years from now the buildings won't be rebuilt and these kids will then be adults crying that they don't have a nice neighborhood to live in. IT MUST BE RACISM BECAUSE WHITE PEOPLE DON"T LIVE AMONG BURNED OUT BUILDINGS.

Well I'm not really sure what problem you have with what I wrote, because other than your first paragraph - your post echos a lot of the same stuff I said...

• Fire 1

Well I'm not really sure what problem you have with what I wrote, because other than your first paragraph - your post echos a lot of the same stuff I said...

I should have clarified a little more.

My only problem was with your second paragraph criticizing the city for not controlling the situation more. My point was, in Ferguson they were criticized for doing too much.

Looks to me that they are going to be criticized no matter what they do.