<blockquoteclass="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I didn't mean to, but I triggered a police investigation of a University of Nebraska sanctioned group for hazing: <a href="http://t.co/g6mmP1yiuk">http://t.co/g6mmP1yiuk</a></p>&mdash; Roger Dorn (@RogerJDorn) <a href="https://twitter.com/RogerJDorn/status/578274960197611521">March 18, 2015</a></blockquote> <script asyncsrc="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ok, I was having a discussion with Teach about hazing at frats. Now, when I was in school, the frat I was in did the typical "hazing" that was popular years back. There was the yelling, being forced to do physical activities, a little bit of forced drinking, etc.

Now, I think that hazing has quieted down quite a bit since I was in school in the mid 90s. I still think that pledges are forced to do "duties" where they have to do specific chores to keep the house clean along with forced study hours. Do you guys think that the "duties" are a form of hazing? I don't at all, just because someone has to keep the house clean, and the pledges are the low men on the totem pole. But, some people think that anything that treats the pledges different from the rest of the frat is a form of hazing. What do you guys think?

Ok, I was having a discussion with Teach about hazing at frats. Now, when I was in school, the frat I was in did the typical "hazing" that was popular years back. There was the yelling, being forced to do physical activities, a little bit of forced drinking, etc.

Now, I think that hazing has quieted down quite a bit since I was in school in the mid 90s. I still think that pledges are forced to do "duties" where they have to do specific chores to keep the house clean along with forced study hours. Do you guys think that the "duties" are a form of hazing? I don't at all, just because someone has to keep the house clean, and the pledges are the low men on the totem pole. But, some people think that anything that treats the pledges different from the rest of the frat is a form of hazing. What do you guys think?

Pledges gotta pay their dues. Nothing wrong with that. If they can't take a little extra work and scrutiny their first year, then maybe they shouldn't join a frat. I went back in the early 80's and we had actual hazing in 9ur frat. Nothing like my brother had even 7 years earlier but there was still some distress. Nothing life threatening or overboard hut it also wasn't for the weak. It helped wash out some who probably shouldn't have chosen the frat route to begin with.

I saw some real hazing at our frat at Mississippi State in 82. They brought a real live goat into the frat house and had those pledges convinced they had to make it with the goat. Of course they didn't really but there were some pledges pooping bricks.

I don't understand having to be physical with the pledges. I mean I was in the Army and their "initiations" are less violent than some of these fraternities.

I'm not speaking about the one mentioned above in particular but more in general.

Just speaking about what I went through, ours wasn't really physical or violent at all. There was a little sleep deprivation but it was mostly mental hazing. A lot of it was actually very helpful. We'd have what was called a lineup and the active members would take turns telling you exactly what they thought was wrong with you, no punches pulled. It could be pretty brutal but it was usually pretty accurate criticism and those who acted to correct things probably became better people for it. We did some keg stands where our pledge class wasn't allowed to turn off the co2 tap or let any hit the ground. That was probably the most dangerous thing we did but it seemed a lot more like fun than anything bad. Good thing we had about 30 in our pledge class. 10 to 15 seconds sucking on a keg hose and you need a good 20 person before you want it again. The cold is what gets ya.

Joined a frat in fall of 86". My pledge class was the 1st one to go through after they quit physical hazing. Really all that was doing a lot of pushups. Lots of yelling at people at line ups. We were required to shake hands with any active when he or we entered a room and we called them Mr. So and So. We also carried around a small note pad to make an appointment so we could get to know each active better. It was actually a pretty good idea, it was a good way to get to know people. Some guys were very cool about things and others were dicks about things. The guys that were dicks general were just a&#036;&#036;hole&#036; in the first place.

No one was ever forced to drink in our fraternity, in fact there were a handful of guys in my class that didn't drink at all or drank very little. I wasn't one of them. :wasted . A lot of sleep deprivation during hell week, but not at any other time.