What % of Husker Football players do you think drink or smoke during season?

I would say drinking would be anywhere from 75-90%, which is probably in line with the typical college population.

Smoking is a tough one. Not to make it a race thing, but smoking dope for young, black men is a lot more common that smoking dope for young white guys. But, now smoking dope is a lot more common overall among "kids". I would say smoking dope is at least 50%.

well, you just did.

if you don't know what you are talking about, usually its best just not to say anything. why say stuff like this and possibly stir up strife, especially when its just not true? i didn't even have to search longer than 10 seconds before i found this:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/03/150311124741.htm

Thanks for showing me I am wrong and have biases based on stereotypes.

i'm not sure if you are joking or not. in either case, the truth is everyone has biases and stereotypes in their minds. those biases and stereotypes aren't necessarily a problem for the subject of your judgment. they become a problem when you either act or make an argument using those stereotypes as your basis. that's the problem here, and people need to be able to differentiate between those two.

I would say drinking would be anywhere from 75-90%, which is probably in line with the typical college population.

Smoking is a tough one. Not to make it a race thing, but smoking dope for young, black men is a lot more common that smoking dope for young white guys. But, now smoking dope is a lot more common overall among "kids". I would say smoking dope is at least 50%.

well, you just did.

if you don't know what you are talking about, usually its best just not to say anything. why say stuff like this and possibly stir up strife, especially when its just not true? i didn't even have to search longer than 10 seconds before i found this:

Thanks for showing me I am wrong and have biases based on stereotypes.

i'm not sure if you are joking or not. in either case, the truth is everyone has biases and stereotypes in their minds. those biases and stereotypes aren't necessarily a problem for the subject of your judgment. they become a problem when you either act or make an argument using those stereotypes as your basis. that's the problem here, and people need to be able to differentiate between those two.

I'm totally serious. I can admit when I am wrong and make a statement based on my own prejudicial views.

That survey is with the same group of people over a time span of years...seems like a very odd way to sample things.

Not really. If they're interested in an increase or decrease, then a paired test makes sense. If it's not paired you might see that someone's smoking 3 cigarettes a day at 29 years old and it seems small, but maybe when they were 18 they were only smoking 1 a day. You have no reference. They can also use this same type of study to find out which types of people change or forget their original answers so they can improve how they do surveys. I'm guessing part of the reason they do it this way is because people who answer a question at age 29 about their smoking habits at age 18 are likely to remember things wrong. So it's probably better to do it this way.

That survey is with the same group of people over a time span of years...seems like a very odd way to sample things.

Not really. If they're interested in an increase or decrease, then a paired test makes sense. If it's not paired you might see that someone's smoking 3 cigarettes a day at 29 years old and it seems small, but maybe when they were 18 they were only smoking 1 a day. You have no reference. They can also use this same type of study to find out which types of people change or forget their original answers so they can improve how they do surveys. I'm guessing part of the reason they do it this way is because people who answer a question at age 29 about their smoking habits at age 18 are likely to remember things wrong. So it's probably better to do it this way.

well, for every study conducted on people, there will always exist at least one way to dismiss the findings whether correct or semi-correct. this here won't be different.

but that doesn't defeat the general premise. the fact that the initial apparent evidence based on what appears in front of us daily will point to one thing does not mean that that thing will be true. more often than not, it isn't. especially when it comes to stereotypes and race/ethnicity. specifically for weed and other drugs, it shouldn't be a hidden fact that the highest percentage of end-users of weed and other drugs is not black people. it just so happens that black people get in trouble far more for it than others.

lol i'd say this thread has officially been derailed.

well, for every study conducted on people, there will always exist at least one way to dismiss the findings whether correct or semi-correct. this here won't be different.

but that doesn't defeat the general premise. the fact that the initial apparent evidence based on what appears in front of us daily will point to one thing does not mean that that thing will be true. more often than not, it isn't. especially when it comes to stereotypes and race/ethnicity. specifically for weed and other drugs, it shouldn't be a hidden fact that the highest percentage of end-users of weed and other drugs is not black people. it just so happens that black people get in trouble far more for it than others.

lol i'd say this thread has officially been derailed.

This doesn't seem to be in any way shape or form a reply to anything I said, so I'm not sure why you quoted me. Also, I love when people announce that threads are derailed.

well, you just did.

Interesting article for sure.

I tend to agree with the research - that alcohol and tobacco use amongst whites is picked up earlier compared to other races. It was sort of strange reading the piece where they mentioned that drinking and marijuana use was higher, however they never mentioned marijuana use again. The only smoking they referred to afterwards was tobacco and cigarettes.